Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIRFZIpVQfiQRTBdwi0aZctVyQauU-v3UTfAL-6l8Ms/edit?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) Ł10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ^ ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
For everyone's piece of mind please just put your FT name in a car on this spreadsheet and then you should get a seat, (subject to usual issues ticketing your reservation!).

If you have a car feel free to add it as well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
BotB likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dakota
This is looking great - good stuff, BotB! ^

I live in Cotham and will probably just drive to and from the Museum from there. Happy to give lifts to anyone local/ en route, but be warned that it will definitely be ET territory, and probably on a bad cleaning day; my car is strictly utilitarian kinder transport! Alternatively, if anyone can give me a lift, I might walk down to town and join the convoy. More convivial and could be fun!
We should have enough spaces, feel free to add your name to the spreadsheet and then you'll have the option.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We are driving down from cheltenham and can give up to theee people lifts from this area and also from the museum back to town.
BotB likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, Nick T (and BotB). Have put myself in your car, Nick (if the spreadsheet saved!)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BotB

Section of Aerospace Bristol car park (free of charge, plenty of parking available).

Just in case anyone needs it, the address of Aerospace Bristol is here:

Aerospace Bristol
Hayes Way
Patchway
Bristol
BS34 5BZ

You can get detailed directions from their website (if you wish, or google or sat nav of course!) here:

How to find us ? Aerospace Bristol

There is no entrance barrier to get into the car park and the car park is massive, free to park in and you just have to walk over to the green hangers to enter afterwards. A picture of a section of the car park is above to give you an idea.

Hope that helps!
Hi BotB,
Apologies in advance for another change of plans for you - I will now arrive by car from West London on Saturday morning. Avis car was 49 GBP vs 69 GBP for train tickets, plus car will give me more flexibility. That also means - if anyone needs a lift from near Heathrow on Saturday morning, I'll be happy to help. I can also help with getting people from hotels / Bristol locations to free you up a little bit!
Best,
m.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Hi Megaloman, no problem at all, I can understand why you would change with that rate! Thanks for letting me know...we can use nick.t.davies form to see who else needs a ride and I can take them in addition to the other two I have already promised. (thanks nick.t.davies for yet again coming to the rescue!)

Getting close now, I haven't heard from Cymro nor Ziz so will assume they no longer wish to attend (as they were only attending the evening meal portion, sorry to learn that hope you are okay and safe), maybe another time...if you are indeed still interested, please do contact me and I can see what I can do regards last minute SOTA orders but can't guarantee anything now, sorry!)

So, we are now a lean 24 going to Aerospace Bristol and 20 going to the evening meal...a nice number by anyone's count! I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday.

Any issues or concerns please do let me know. I'm away right now for a few days but will be checking email now and again so will get back to you!

Cheers,

BotB
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:44 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Looking forward to meeting you all.

Weather for Saturday in Bristol right now looks good. But we all know that can change.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Looking forward to meeting you all.

Weather for Saturday in Bristol right now looks good. But we all know that can change.
Heh, well, being a meteorologist, I'll do what I can to try and ensure Saturday is good weather!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BotB
Heh, well, being a meteorologist, I'll do what I can to try and ensure Saturday is good weather!
Let's hope it stays this way!

Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just seen our Do organiser’s post in the CE food thread. Perhaps a change of username to FotB is due?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Well, always one to eat my hat...

The supercomputers all tend to agree which for 4-5 days out is rare and so they tend to think a high pressure system is building in and will block changes for Saturday...I think 7 is optimistic, 5 C high is what the money is saying. the lows are spot on -2 C Saturday morning and -1 C going into Sunday morning. The forecasts also (quite rare) agree that no precipitation for Saturday, wind is varying wildly so no bets on that, could be light, medium or strong!

I'll happily bore anyone that wants to know more at the Do....these are the graphs I would use (ensemble forecasting) and although they are for London, they are a good indicator for the South West as well...

Classic, I can see this is now going to turn out to be a Michael Fish moment in my life!

Weather: Ensemble forecast
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Just seen our Do organiser’s post in the CE food thread. Perhaps a change of username to FotB is due?
Guilty as charged your honour!

I will be travelling mid bus in April...honest! WT+ EEK!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
For everyone's piece of mind please just put your FT name in a car on this spreadsheet and then you should get a seat, (subject to usual issues ticketing your reservation!).

If you have a car feel free to add it as well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
We can fit 3 in our car in addition to myself and the Mrs
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

For info, those that wanted to be able to order dessert on the evening and not pre-order: that is no problem I am told so do feel free to consider it on the day!

Our food orders have been accepted without issue so now just need to print out the name badges and hope that everyone is sorted (or getting sorted) for car sharing.

Thanks, not long now!

BotB
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:20 am

I will be driving but I will go straight to the museum so not much use as a lift giver! If your lift from the hotels to the museum is unsatisfactory, for example, you don't get your choice of food, it's cava not champagne, the seats are cramped, the person in front of you reclines their seat, the pilot is drunk etc etc, I can give a lift back.
BotB and nick.t.davies like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.