Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIRFZIpVQfiQRTBdwi0aZctVyQauU-v3UTfAL-6l8Ms/edit?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) £10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ^ ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
On the local BBC channel tonight they were mentioning there is a special exhibit at the former RAF Lyneham base that people may wish to visit on the way down / back home...

Unfortunately not open Sundays but otherwise maybe worth a visit as the exhibition is celebrating 100 years of the RAF.

Details for those interested here:

Visit - REME Museum

and the details of the exhibit here:

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/whats-on/
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks nick.t.davies , very nice of you indeed and much appreciated. ^ thundercat can also take 3 in his car, I can take 3 (with 2 people already allocated) and puqui99 will drive their threesome. That makes 16 people total between those 4 vehicles...Any other offers to provide lifts to the museum and back greatly appreciated.

Heh, you'd have to ply me with quite a lot of LPGS or LP/Bolly Rose before I'd be able to accept that redemption!
we can take 3 from the DT in ET class (could do BoB as well) maybe plus 1 or 2 in the cargo hold and a couple on the top deck but they’ll have to bring their own tie downs 😀
BotB, squawk and nick.t.davies like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:37 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Update:

25 going to the museum portion of the DO as mentioned. 2 are going to make their own way there on public transport ^ and we have 5 vehicles so far to transport the rest, with a combined seating capacity of 21 people (including the drivers) but a need for 23 people...so ideally just need one more vehicle to be willing to offer a lift for 1-2 people that we can then transport everyone to the museum and back again please (only if you would be willing and without any pressure, just a polite ask! )

For the evening meal, we're currently 22 people attending that portion of the DO ^ and I have meal orders for 21...2 people have yet to confirm they wish to attend the evening meal and what their meal choices are. I have only yesterday been (politely) reminded that it is the school holidays so people may be away still and hence why they haven't answered...completely understand but please, should you see this post Monday morning, please, please let me know if you wish to attend still (the evening meal) and what your meal choices would be!

Could I ask @Cymro to provide your meal choice please? Thanks!

Could I ask @Ziz and @wb1969 to confirm if you wish to attend the evening meal please and if so, what your meal choices would be please, I must have these by 4 PM UK time Monday afternoon to be able to submit them on time for SOTA to plan and ensure they can meet our requests. If I haven't heard from you by Monday at 4 PM UK Time by PM or on this thread I'll have to assume you are no longer able or interested and remove you from the evening meal list, my apologies but there has to be a cut off at some stage!

I'm away next week on work travel to Copenhagen but will check for updates and any posts here so apologies if I am a bit delayed in getting back to anyone next week.

Not long now, will be great to meet everyone and enjoy a lovely day out with fellow enthusiasts. ^

Safe travels down and any issues please do let me know.

BotB
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I can fit three in my car.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you johnaalex, very much appreciated! ^^

So, we'll now have enough vehicles and places to get everyone that needs a lift to the museum and back again. Very kind of those that have offered.

Of the 5 vehicles that are offering lifts to others, 4 will be staying at the DoubleTree so I'll suggest a meeting there for most people to get a lift please.

Puqui99 is staying elsewhere and transporting 3 already so that is covered, johnaalex is at the Bristol Royal Marriott, on Park Street and easily walked to on foot from the hotels where people are staying downtown, so to avoid making him drive over to the DoubleTree (a bit of a faff to be honest from park street) I'd suggest that 1-2 people that do need a lift and aren't staying at the DoubleTree, would you mind PM'ing johnaalex to secure a place with him please?

Of the remaining vehicles (4) that are at the DoubleTree, I'd suggest the following time schedule:

12:00 to 12:15 meet up at DT car park/reception to organise into suitable groups for car sharing...
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit £10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

I'm going to be leaving for the museum slightly earlier than the rest and have already agreed to give a lift to allturnleft and megaloman but I can take one other person comfortably, that is willing to be at the DT at 12 sharp please! I'll then ensure I have the tickets in hand as the rest of you arrive and ensure we don't waste any time with admin at the reception.

So, although it is a bit haphazard, might I ask the rest of those going to the museum to PM Mr. Bambi/thundercat/nick.t.davies for a lift please? And ideally (given simply walking logistics, no other algorithm) anyone staying elsewhere to first contact johnaalex for a lift, knowing that you'll just need to walk to the base of park street to his hotel to get that lift?

Thanks, hoping that doesn't cause the PM system to overheat...and that the kind people offering lifts won't mind a few PM's for this purpose! ^

That should be eveything sorted (except for the remaining meal choices as posted by me above for the three people I'm waiting for responses from).

I'll print out some small FT handle badges that you can wear at the museum if you wish to identify yourself to other members but obviously not mandatory! It'll simply be a business card sized piece of A4 with a safety pin to use to pin it on you if you wish and to aid in breaking in the ice and knowing 'who' you can talk to without coming across as a proper freak when at the museum!

I'll also bring another batch to the evening meal but just to have handy as seating placeholders so people can equally help break the ice and get to know each other. No pins then as alcohol may be involved!

At the Watershed, I'll put out a couple of A4 sheets of paper with FT balloon logo and BA DO written on it for when people do come up the stairs and turn right into the bar they can then see which group of people enjoying themselves is the one to start chatting to!

Think that should be everything now, any questions or issues please do let me know....feel free to simply post on the thread if you wish about car sharing, I just thought it might be easier to do so by PM but may be wrong in that regard.

Safe travels everyone....Online check-in now open...we'll soon be welcoming you onboard:

Welcome aboard: G-BOAF

A last teaser for the weekend for you...they do a lovely graphic of the engine operation getting up to Mach speed projected onto the lovely girl...

Engine concept projected onto G-BOAF
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Section of Aerospace Bristol car park (free of charge, plenty of parking available).

Just in case anyone needs it, the address of Aerospace Bristol is here:

Aerospace Bristol
Hayes Way
Patchway
Bristol
BS34 5BZ

You can get detailed directions from their website (if you wish, or google or sat nav of course!) here:

How to find us ? Aerospace Bristol

There is no entrance barrier to get into the car park and the car park is massive, free to park in and you just have to walk over to the green hangers to enter afterwards. A picture of a section of the car park is above to give you an idea.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:38 am

I'm happy to leave the DoubleTree with you at 12, BoTB. Will DM you.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squawk
I'm happy to leave the DoubleTree with you at 12, BoTB. Will DM you.
Received thanks! I now have 3 people getting a lift with me so no more places left, anyone that does need a ride please contact nick.t.davies, thundercat, or Mr. Bambi, or johnaalex (if you are not at the DT)

Thanks everyone, SOTA booking also now confirmed, although I am still missing the meal choice from Cymro....please do pass that on to me asap.

Not heard anything from Ziz or wb1969 so assuming they are no longer wanting to attend or can't, I may be able to squeeze you in if you contact me by tomorrow as mentioned up thread.

Cheers, BotB
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Unfortunately my plans changed so I will be away for that weekend. BotB,, sorry about late reply but please cancel my meal order. I hope that every one have a fantastic time there!!!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Apologies for the delayed reply. Unfortunately not going to be able to attend due to family commitments. Very disappointed.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Unfortunately my plans changed so I will be away for that weekend. BotB,, sorry about late reply but please cancel my meal order. I hope that every one have a fantastic time there!!!
Sorry to hear you can't make it, but family always must come first! I've taken your order off the meal order spreadsheet.
BotB likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Originally Posted by wb1969
Apologies for the delayed reply. Unfortunately not going to be able to attend due to family commitments. Very disappointed.
Sorry to hear you both won't be able to make it, as nick.t.davies said, hope all is well and thank you both for letting me know. Apologies for chasing you about this wb1969, just trying to get the numbers and meals sorted!

Cheers, safe travels.

BotB
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=BotB;29428159]Received thanks! I now have 3 people getting a lift with me so no more places left, anyone that does need a ride please contact nick.t.davies, thundercat, or Mr. Bambi, or johnaalex (if you are not at the DT) QUOTE]

Missed the weekend lifts posts. Will be at the Bristol and was hoping to tag along with allturnleft. Nick T, can you suggest an alternative? Many thanks
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by morges1
Missed the weekend lifts posts. Will be at the Bristol and was hoping to tag along with allturnleft. Nick T, can you suggest an alternative? Many thanks
Sorry about that morges1, I did try to think of a more organised way to arrange the car sharing but other than a whack of PM's or posts on the thread I couldn't really envisage one, nick.t.davies did offer to do another form for it but that would still have required a whack of PM's after the initial (yes please I need a lift or I can offer situation)....

I get the feeling many will simply drive themselves due to the quiet on the subject and no issue with that as plenty of parking at Aerospace Bristol and people may even just drive there instead of coming into the city centre first. If anyone does have any lift concerns or issues please do let me know and we can arrange it somehow...

Thanks for the understanding. We'll get you there somehow morges1

You never know, nick.t.davies may have a nicer ride that I do and therefore treat you to the LT GGL comfort you are used to

Safe travels everyone, I still have not received the meal order for Ziz or Cymro (@Ziz , @Cmyro in case that helps to raise the issue to them)...Once I land at Copenhagen this afternoon, I'm going to need to submit our orders and if I haven't heard from you by then I'll have to remove you. Cymro, Ziz, please just send me the meal choices by PM at this stage if you are still wanting to go to the SOTA meal.

Thanks! BotB
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:04 am

This is looking great - good stuff, BotB! ^

I live in Cotham and will probably just drive to and from the Museum from there. Happy to give lifts to anyone local/ en route, but be warned that it will definitely be ET territory, and probably on a bad cleaning day; my car is strictly utilitarian kinder transport! Alternatively, if anyone can give me a lift, I might walk down to town and join the convoy. More convivial and could be fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.