Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIRFZIpVQfiQRTBdwi0aZctVyQauU-v3UTfAL-6l8Ms/edit?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) Ł10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ^ ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:17 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
My wife is the part time curator for Bristol cars which are also on display here.

I would love to go and meet everyone

6th Jan. 2018 or
24th Feb. 2018.

Works best for me.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:22 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
6 and 20 January both good for me.

And, thanks for organising.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Either 20th January or 24th February would work for me
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:29 am

I'd be up for this. Unfortunately, only 24th February is possible (and that's uncertain) so I'm not a definite.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. ^ I’ll wait until tomorrow evening to see which date(s) works best for most people and then go with what works for the majority. Thanks for the positive responses so far, looking forward to it already.

EDIT: oops, had my dates wrong! (Concorde anniversary)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Now tallied up the interest on the three dates and the 24th Feb. will be the date of the DO given that more people can attend that date than any other and it allows a bit more time to plan for people or arrange flights/hotels as needed. My apologies to those that were interested in other dates or that cannot attend the 24th....it's always going to be a compromise on these things trying to find dates that work for everyone, I hope you'll visit the museum another time and that I'll get the opportunity to catch up with you at another venue/DO/flight.

The 24th Feb. (Saturday) is not when the Bristol area schools have half term holidays (they are the week before = 12th to 16thFeb)so that is good news in terms of planning and ensuring we don't get overrun by children at the museum...but this date may be during the half term week in other regions so please do check and make sure your other half/your kids have not made other arrangements for you if you do happen to live where the half term holidays are the week before the DO (19th to 23rd Feb) as the DO Saturday may be when you are flying back from somewhere else! Please do not misunderstand me, I have no issue with children (and they are welcome to come along for the museum tour with a responsible adult), just wanted to make sure that people are considering that they may be otherwise engaged during this date...

11 people expressed interest on the 24th Feb, 9 on the 20th Jan, and 7 for the earlier 6th Jan for the record!

So, please do put this date in your calendar and I'll post more details soon about where to stay, transport options, and other items...looking forward to seeing you all on the 24th Feb. 2018.

All are welcome to attend and please do spread the word. Any questions please do post them and I'll do my best to answer them asap.

Cheers, BotB!
megaloman likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Moved to Bristol form London recently. Big Concorde fan. Count me in!
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Put me down as a maybe for the 24th.
BotB and megaloman like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
24th is good for me! Sign me up and I can get a direct flight from Edinburgh with EasyJet. Can’t wait
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Aw, can't make that date as I'll be abroad in Oz. Ah well, some other time! Well done for organising this BotB ^
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
24th Feb is marked in my calendar! ^
florens and BotB like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Back from Oz so a definitely maybe at this stage.

OF
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:02 pm

Somewhat oddly, despite plenty of flights between NCL and BRS on Fri 23rd and Sun 25th - as well as some on other Saturdays - there are none on 24th. Getting down on the Saturday morning looks tricky… I'll see whether I can come down on the 23rd instead
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, great to hear that some new interest has been indicated. ^ I've updated the wiki to here wth those that seemed to indicate a 'definite' for attendance as well as those that were still needing to work out if this fits in timings wise...(please do let me know if I've lumped you in with the wrong lot! )

Originally Posted by KARFA
Thank you for organising this BotB ^

Whilst I am pretty well booked up early next year already, I should be able to change a few things and come if it is on 20 January - the other two dates wouldn’t be possible for me unfortunately.
After a while away from FT and DO's, it's good to organise something local here again. Thanks for your offer to help co-host back when I first was looking at this, I appreciated that and know you are quite busy and it would have been good to have met up again but I'm sure there will be other times. Safe travels. ^

Originally Posted by Cris L
I would love to attend, but honestly none of those dates are possible for me.

At present June is about the earliest for me.
That's a shame, sorry to hear it, maybe another time. If you do happen to come down later in the year, let me know by PM and I'll try to meet up with you and buy you a drink as compensation!

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Dont normally do DOs but this seems a lovely idea
6/1 too soon after new year break but other dates good
Excellent, great to have someone attend that wouldn't normally. No pressure to attend the evening meal/drinks...if you only wish to attend the museum. Great to have you join in if you can in any case. Just let us know please when you are able.

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
My wife is the part time curator for Bristol cars which are also on display here.

I would love to go and meet everyone
^ I did like the start of the museum with the trolley cars, a nice bit of history. Hope to see you on the 24th. I'll remember to be polite to the staff now!

Originally Posted by LPQ
6 and 20 January both good for me.

And, thanks for organising.
Sorry that I couldn't accommodate you this time around, hope you get down to see the museum at some point. My above offer to meet up and buy you a drink and share a laugh is open...safe travels.

Originally Posted by florens
Put me down as a maybe for the 24th.
Excellent, hope you can make it. Please do let us know when you are able. Ta.

Originally Posted by PETER01
Aw, can't make that date as I'll be abroad in Oz. Ah well, some other time! Well done for organising this BotB ^
Shame that, although you'd likely stitch me up again anyway! (and you a Gold now at that! Thanks for the kind words, safe travels my good man, hope to catch up with you sometime soon and share a flight again. ^ Let me know if you do get down to the area and we'll meet up!

Originally Posted by squawk
Somewhat oddly, despite plenty of flights between NCL and BRS on Fri 23rd and Sun 25th - as well as some on other Saturdays - there are none on 24th. Getting down on the Saturday morning looks tricky… I'll see whether I can come down on the 23rd instead
Hoping something works out for you squawk, I've put you in the maybe for now camp...will keep fingers crossed!

Anyone else interested in attending either of the day's events? (Concorde museum visit and / or evening drinks / meal? Open to all, hope to see you there!

Cheers, BotB

I'll try to update the wiki and information on hotels, travel and such this weekend.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Count me in as I'm free that weekend.

I've booked a room at the DoubleTree but it seems a little more expensive than usual, though not completely off the wall (cheaper than Leeds in September).
BotB likes this.

Last edited by Cymro; Nov 30, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.