Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Wiki Link
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) £10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 18, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by BotB View Post
Hello bigmarley4, very happy to have you join us for the Museum visit.

Welcome to the BA forum, the UK and the Bristol DO!
Anyone else, all welcome! We're now up to 26 (in total, less for individual events!)
Thank you for the warm welcome - looking forward to it!
BotB likes this.
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Looks like I can make it
will pm you
got a bargin first class train ticket
staying at Hotel Bristol
Old Jan 19, 18, 7:27 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
Looks like I can make it
will pm you
got a bargin first class train ticket
staying at Hotel Bristol
Brilliant news, great to have you join us, glad it worked out!

I've updated the wiki, we're now 28 in total but not everyone is going to the museum, nor everyone going to the evening events...Anyone else wish to join in, all are welcome!

btw, the Bristol hotel is very well positioned, right at the harbourside, it used to be a Jury's Inn many moons ago, only stayed there once back in 2002. I remember it being a bit thin walled (in terms of hearing your neighbours or the outside noise) but imagine they have renovated once or more since those days!

Anyone else? All are welcome...
Old Jan 19, 18, 7:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Is it group boarding at the Concorde trip? I can picture a rebellion by GCH's if there's not!

More seriously, looking forward to this Do and meeting new and old faces so well done for organising BotB.
Old Jan 19, 18, 7:59 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
Is it group boarding at the Concorde trip? I can picture a rebellion by GCH's if there's not!

More seriously, looking forward to this Do and meeting new and old faces so well done for organising BotB.
Funny you should ask...if it weren't the end of half term, and therefore they were offering guided tours (the latest info I've been given is that half term is the reason they aren't offering guided tours, they'll reconsider as it gets closer and depending on demand on the day I'm told)...part of the guided tour is indeed priority boarding on Concorde...so it looks like we'll all be back of the bus regarding Concorde boarding...

Concorde Boarding

I'm now starting to realise why you won't be attending the museum portion PETER01, you just wouldn't cope with the status less situation!

Humour aside, we seem to be gaining a nice group of people with a love of travel and of course of the lovely Concorde...Only 5 weeks to go now!
Old Jan 19, 18, 8:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Funny you should ask...if it weren't the end of half term, and therefore they were offering guided tours (the latest info I've been given is that half term is the reason they aren't offering guided tours, they'll reconsider as it gets closer and depending on demand on the day I'm told)...part of the guided tour is indeed priority boarding on Concorde...so it looks like we'll all be back of the bus regarding Concorde boarding...

I'm now starting to realise why you won't be attending the museum portion PETER01, you just wouldn't cope with the status less situation!

Humour aside, we seem to be gaining a nice group of people with a love of travel and of course of the lovely Concorde...Only 5 weeks to go now!
I'm sure it will be fab but having done the East Fortune Concorde trip numerous times over the years I'm taking a miss this time. 5 weeks! I better get a hotel booked then as not done that yet!
Old Jan 19, 18, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
I think @KARFA will push ahead, as per his earlier post in another thread, and then everyone else... I will bring my GGL card to flash, and then some credit cards in a sock to flog all the people of lesser rank, as someone else suggested in another thread ;-)

@Ziz... get in line :-)
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 19, 18, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post

I think @KARFA will push ahead, as per his earlier post in another thread, and then everyone else... I will bring my GGL card to flash, and then some credit cards in a sock to flog all the people of lesser rank, as someone else suggested in another thread ;-)

@Ziz... get in line :-)
Heh I know my place, Back Of The Bus...
Old Jan 23, 18, 12:28 pm

I assume since there's no official tour, I can use my existing ticket to get in and just tag along with the group?
Old Jan 23, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
Unfortunately I can't make this anymore , hope you all have a great time!
Old Jan 23, 18, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor View Post
I assume since there's no official tour, I can use my existing ticket to get in and just tag along with the group?
Of course, please do join us, no issue with that at all and would be great to have you come along!

Iíll update the wiki later if need be as on the road with mobile but thanks for asking and we look forward to seeing you there! Anyone else? All welcome!
Old Jan 23, 18, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
Unfortunately I can't make this anymore , hope you all have a great time!
Sorry to hear that S_W_S hope you can visit another time! Safe travels wherever you may be on the day.
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:58 pm

Hey BotB -

Hope you're good. Looking forward to the Do.

Strange... Bristol (state) schools' half-term holidays end the previous weekend. Wonder if someone just confused the dates? Worth checking.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/schools-l...-holiday-dates

Funny you should ask...if it weren't the end of half term, and therefore they were offering guided tours (the latest info I've been given is that half term is the reason they aren't offering guided tours...
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Hey BotB -

Hope you're good. Looking forward to the Do.

Strange... Bristol (state) schools' half-term holidays end the previous weekend. Wonder if someone just confused the dates? Worth checking.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/schools-l...-holiday-dates
Thanks for the prod Dakota , interesting, I'll definitely give them a call a bit nearer the deadline to give the remaining money and numbers for the group and ask about this. When I use the link you provided (city council) I get the same info you have (it finishes before our weekend) but when I checked in the past just using google and another website (general UK one) it showed up to our weekend...maybe they did the same!

Will try what I can to see if we can get a tour (and if I do, no issue with TheFlyingDoctor still accompanying us)...but for now will bide my time and let it get a bit closer so they have a better handle on the coming weeks. I'll update the thread in any case on the outcome!

Again, thanks for mentioning this!

Anyone else wish to join us, open to all! (whether just for the Aerospace Bristol visit, the evening social gathering and meal or for both, options abound!)

And for anyone still lurking or that has not yet made travel arrangements/hotel bookings and needs a bit of a reminder....Here you go:

Just weeks to go!
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
My apologies, BotB, but I won't be able to make it. Thanks anyway for organising everything, I'm sure it's going to be great. It would be cool if someone could post a few pictures of the Do for those who could not join!

Search this Thread