FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878957-aerospace-bristol-concorde-museum-visit-do-24-feb-2018-a.html)

Lewis King Jan 8, 2018 2:01 am

Visited the museum this weekend. Absolutely fantastic you’ll all have a great time I’m sure! Sorry I can’t make it, hopefully another time!

LondonCanuck Jan 8, 2018 2:08 am

I am definitely in! Catching a ride with @simonsmith and flyingbrief, my friendly local FTers in Cheltenham :-)

allturnleft Jan 8, 2018 2:12 am

Still hoping to make it but wont know for a couple of weeks if I have that day free

BotB Jan 8, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lewis King (Post 29264227)
Visited the museum this weekend. Absolutely fantastic you’ll all have a great time I’m sure! Sorry I can’t make it, hopefully another time!

Glad you had a good time at the museum, no worries about missing the DO, maybe catch up with you another time. Safe travels. ^

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck (Post 29264240)
I am definitely in! Catching a ride with @simonsmith and flyingbrief, my friendly local FTers in Cheltenham :-

Excellent ^ great news, I'll add you to the wiki and that will make (at least) two Canucks at the DO... :)

Originally Posted by allturnleft (Post 29264249)
Still hoping to make it but wont know for a couple of weeks if I have that day free

I'll add you to the wiki 'maybe' group (if you aren't already there) and hope you can join us, no problem with the later confirmation, we're all busy people and it would be great if it works out. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. And congrats on your 1000th post...a fitting post to be sure!

Anyone else wish to join in? we're over 20 now so a guided tour is a given and the more the merrier! Open to all...

nick.t.davies Jan 8, 2018 3:56 pm

Slight change of my Friday night plans (they got cancelled) means I'm heading down to Bristol on the Friday night from London. If anyone wants a lift that way to save them from the joys of GWR I'm happy to oblige. KARFA and anyone else,I'd also be happy to pick you up from T5 as I'll literally be driving past.

KARFA Jan 9, 2018 3:57 am

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies (Post 29267093)
Slight change of my Friday night plans (they got cancelled) means I'm heading down to Bristol on the Friday night from London. If anyone wants a lift that way to save them from the joys of GWR I'm happy to oblige. KARFA and anyone else,I'd also be happy to pick you up from T5 as I'll literally be driving past.

Thanks for the offer. I would certainly accept a lift but only if it's convenient for you in terms of timing. I should be landing around 2030.

nick.t.davies Jan 9, 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29268963)
If it's convenient for you in terms of timing. I should be landing around 2030.

It will be perfectly convenient, my only schedule is getting to the DoubleTrees at some point. I presume you're on BA1345?

Ziz Jan 9, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm in for the Saturday night meal 'n do. Can't make the museum unfortunately. Will stay at Hilton Garden probably.

KARFA Jan 9, 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies (Post 29269931)
It will be perfectly convenient, my only schedule is getting to the DoubleTrees at some point. I presume you're on BA1345?

Yes, that's the one I am on.

BotB Jan 14, 2018 6:27 am

Sorry for the long silence folks, been working in the background to get things organised and had a few hitches along the way....status update:

Bristol Aerospace already have a few groups that have booked guides in the meantime so they don't have anyone available to guide our group around unfortunately at this time. So, we have two options: one, we do book as a group, which means we get a reduced entrance price (£10 each) and if one of the other groups does cancel, we would get first dibs on having a tour guide (but have to pay £5 extra / person for that of course)...the downside is that your ticket is valid for that day only. Option 2: we simply turn up at the door and everyone pays their £15 individually and you would have the ability to come again for free within the next 12 months. (no saving on price and no guide options should a tour cancel though)...please let me know your thoughts on this and once I know the majority opinion I will go with that. (so more than 10 want savings and potential guide or more than 10 want to come back again potentially for free in next year)...

Also, update on the evening meal front: I have been toying with various places that could cater a largish group like ours without having to pay a large deposit and offering enough variety for all tastes and food styles...

The two options I would suggest are: Italian, called L'Osteria (a small chain that is quite new to the UK but is popular on the continent), This one is closer to Cabot Circus and so would be a bit further to walk / drive to than SOTA below, however, would likely cater to a wider palate (or vegetarians/vegans)... website here: (with menus!)

Menu ? L?Osteria | Pizza E Pasta

OR

An independent steak house, called The Steak of the Art (SOTA), which also has some rather limited vegetarian options, should that be a concern...we used this place last time for the Bristol DO and they even gave us a private room in the back for the group. It is a bit closer to the hotels and where we'll meet up for a drink (for those interested) pre meal...but not sure if everyone is okay with this or would prefer the Italian...The website and menu are here:

https://www.steakoftheart.co.uk/info/menus/

So, need feedback please from those attending the museum, the evening meal or both events, and which options for food would the majority like! I'll need to limit this to a few days as otherwise we risk not getting the food venue any longer...so please do post your thoughts and preferences and I'll wait until Wednesday, the 17th to go with whatever the majority wish (should that be apparent early enough) or by Tuesday evening with whatever people have posted by then...

Thanks, sorry for the hassle, hope the choices will be palatable! :)

For the record: I'm not bothered either way about the museum, it would save some hassle to book in advance and give us more time in the museum and save us a fiver...with the potential to get a guide if another group drops out...but it does mean I have to pay £100 up front myself and the rest a week before we go and then collect the cash from everyone on the day...happy to do that though. Food: SOTA was very good and it is a more private and unique venue with some interesting design bits so I'd prefer that but happy to go to either...and I'm a meat eater...

Discuss please! Ta...

Dakota Jan 14, 2018 8:02 am

Group/ SOTA

Thanks for the great work, BotB ^ Event organisation is demanding, and this one looks great.

My marginal preference would be for a group booking at Aerospace Bristol, to maximise time there and retain at least the chance of a guided tour, and for SOTA, as a meat-eater not particularly enamoured of Italian restaurants. However, really don't mind either way: as a (new) local, an annual pass at AB would be great, and L'Osteria is walking distance from home.

Thanks again, and look forward to meeting you. Happy to pay up in advance for deposits, etc., and assist in any other way I can.

puqui99 Jan 14, 2018 8:21 am

Here, here, thanks for all your organising, @BotB! Anyone else staying at the Mercure Brigstock? It's my preferred location close to the bars with the best ales! I am also now bring a friend as well as my husband, so it's me + 2 people.

SOTA sounds great for us three (also not keen on Italian), but will go with consensus, and happy to pay in advance for our group booking if required.

KARFA Jan 14, 2018 8:23 am

Group and SOTA sounds great to me. Thanks BotB

MrBambi Jan 14, 2018 8:34 am

Hi BotB, thanks for your efforts to date on this - we’ll go with the flow but our preference would be the Group booking and then SOTA for the evening meal
Looking forward to the event
MrB

BotB Jan 14, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks for the quick replies so far everyone, including me we're at 8 for group booking (and potential guide), saving time but no return visit included and SOTA.

Just need another 3 people to chime in with those preferences (or a large group wishing for the other options!) and I'll be able to move forward.

Cheers, anyone else wish to join in for the visit to Bristol Aerospace and/or meet up for drinks/evening meal later on? Open to all!

BotB

Keep the replies coming please! :) ^