Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Wiki Link
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) £10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 3, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Excellent, great to have you join us wb1969, KARFA and nick.t.davies. We're now 15 in total, anyone else wish to join in? Open to all.

Sorry to hear you can't make it nufnuf77 maybe another time, safe travels wherever you happen to be on that day!

Squawk, I'll look into the bus situation and get back to you. It does remind me that I forgot to mention both myself and thundercat are happy to pick up a few people and take them to the museum and back again afterwards in our cars. (we can each take 3 easily, maybe 4 in a pinch). Potentially anyone else driving here may be also be willing to help out so that together we can ferry everyone in cars without the need to have some use public transport. (unless they wish to of course!). Parking is free and there is plenty of space at Aerospace Bristol, so that is not an issue at least.

I've started looking at potential food venues for the Saturday night and will come back about that soon as well. Both would be within walking distance from the city centre hotels.

Just over 7 weeks until the DO...looking forward to a great day at the museum and later meeting and talking to new and familiar people for drinks and a meal.

The DoubleTree is a good hotel and popular it seems but if anyone else would like to join in, there are other hotels within a 5 minute walk from the DoubleTree so don't feel you have to stay there to join in!

Updates to follow soon, please do spread the word and hopefully we'll get the 20 people we need for a guided tour. If we don't nearer the time, I'll talk to the museum and see if I can arrange anything even for a smaller group.

Safe travels.

EDIT: I should add I've updated the wiki and put you in alphabetical order to satisfy my CDO (whoever designated OCD obviously didn't have it )

Joking aside: if anyone is arriving by the airport, I may be able to pick you up if you wished, depending on timings, so do PM me if that is of interest. Anyone arriving by train likely can easily walk to the city centre hotels from Temple Meads. If anyone arrives by other means (Coach, etc...) do also PM me and I may be able to give you a lift if needed.

Last edited by BotB; Jan 3, 18 at 6:20 am Reason: Added bits after EDIT! and thundercat also willing to transport people!
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I'll be driving from Hammersmith and back if anyone want a lift to Bristol. Also I'll happily add my name to the list of drivers to/from the city centre to Aerospace Bristol.
BotB likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:09 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies View Post
I'll be driving from Hammersmith and back if anyone want a lift to Bristol. Also I'll happily add my name to the list of drivers to/from the city centre to Aerospace Bristol.
Thanks nick.t.davies, very nice of you and greatly appreciated!

That makes 3 cars now, or 10 to 15 of us that can car share to get to the Museum (depending on cars and whether 2, 4 or 5 people fit in each one!). Somehow we'll manage I'm sure to get everyone to the venue and work it out. The bus schedule is indeed poor and the two lines that squawk mentioned are possible but from a quick glance they appear to actually only run once an hour to the destination needed! (maybe I am wrong). A taxi would indeed be a better choice and unfortunately the museum is outside the Bristol fixed price tariff region so it would have to be agreed with the driver before setting off, I imagine it would be somewhere between £15-20 each way but I've not done this journey so can't actually say! Hopefully we'll have enough cars with willing drivers to get everyone there and back but if not we can work something out I am sure.

I'll post this week about the food venue. Anyone else wish to join us or any other questions?
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB View Post
Joking aside: if anyone is arriving by the airport, I may be able to pick you up if you wished, depending on timings, so do PM me if that is of interest. Anyone arriving by train likely can easily walk to the city centre hotels from Temple Meads. If anyone arrives by other means (Coach, etc...) do also PM me and I may be able to give you a lift if needed.
I will be arriving at LHR at 2030 on the Friday so pick up would be great thanks
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
simonsmith and flyingbrief

live up the road in cheltenham and would be very interested in joining you
BotB likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I will be arriving at LHR at 2030 on the Friday so pick up would be great thanks
Although IDKWYA, the ITA Matrix fare pricing for this route is invalid and unfortunately won't be honoured!

If anyone else is flying down to LHR on Friday and then making their way to Bristol (by coach or train I assume)...I might be tempted to act as chauffeur for a group for the sheer hell of it if everyone was available at roughly the same time...
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post

Excellent, you both would be very welcome to join us. I'll put your names down on the wiki. That now takes us up to 17 people, Anyone else lurking and tempted? All welcome.
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

Originally Posted by BotB View Post
Although IDKWYA, the ITA Matrix fare pricing for this route is invalid and unfortunately won't be honoured!

If anyone else is flying down to LHR on Friday and then making their way to Bristol (by coach or train I assume)...I might be tempted to act as chauffeur for a group for the sheer hell of it if everyone was available at roughly the same time...
Who gets to sit in 1A the front though. Status, who's been on FT the longest, who you like the most? How will you decide?

Change of plan re my travel plans and I am now coming to the Do so count me in as I have booked my flight.
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
Who gets to sit in 1A the front though. Status, who's been on FT the longest, who you like the most? How will you decide?

Change of plan re my travel plans and I am now coming to the Do so count me in as I have booked my flight.
Excellent news that you are able to join in PETER01 , I look forward to catching up as it's been a while!

Re: seat allocation...Well, I could start a new thread on 'which are the best seats' but maybe the following will suffice;

-5 seats available. 2 rows. IFE available with moving map.

-Seat 1F is actually the crew galley so is unavailable. People may be disturbed by the crew noise if sat in 1A.

-both rows have reclining seats. All seats are new design and have both window and aisle exit. All rows have individual climate controls and crew can alter the led lighting to suit the mood and time of day.

-legroom in row 2 is compromised slightly compared to row 1. Similar to the 787 pax are protected from the sun by window tinting.

-Seat 1A is potentially less desirable if pax is sat in 2A as 2A can adjust seat 1A remotely to provide more space for 2A!

-The CE cabin in row 2 is convertible and can become an ET cabin upon conversion.

-Seat 2B is not recommended as there is very little leg room and reduced width seat. If seat 2B is occupied, the controls for adjusting seats 2A and 2C are no longer available and seat trays as well as cup holders are also removed. There is no climate control for seat 2B.

-Seat 2C is a good seat.

-Seatbelts must be on, tray tables up, armrests down and there is a 'take off and landing default position button for seats in row 2 (to aid in emergency situations).

-just like the 787, crew are able to disable the controls in row 2 should this be necessary or if pax start DYKWIA behaviour.

If that all seems like too much to help pax decide where to sit, I'll default to whoever yells 'shotgun' first upon pulling up to the gate.

Crew are authorised to assist with pax baggage, however, strict carry on limitations apply and crew will gate check baggage to the hold.

Due to operational reasons there will be a very limited cabin service during the trip, As the airline has decided to increase seating capacity, there are no WC's so regular stops will be planned to facilitate pax.

Happy to pick you up PETER01, as well as carry your checked baggage.

Anyone else wish to join in and check out this new museum and walk around Concorde? We're now up to 18 people attending.
florens, squawk and nick.t.davies like this.

Last edited by BotB; Jan 4, 18 at 3:09 am
Old Jan 4, 18, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post

Want to car pool? I just need to get approval from the Mrs... :-)
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:31 pm

I've recently moved to Bristol from London and was already planning to visit Aerospace Bristol soon, so this is perfect!

Really looking forward to coming along and meeting folks, especially those in the area.
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I've recently moved to Bristol from London and was already planning to visit Aerospace Bristol soon, so this is perfect!

Really looking forward to coming along and meeting folks, especially those in the area.
Excellent, great to have you join us Dakota, a good opportunity to see the museum and meet local FTers. EDIT: and welcome to Bristol I should add! A great city that hopefully you will come to love as well, very liberal with plenty to see and do and a rather unique independent/creative vibe to it...

I've updated the wiki, hoping that LondonCanuck will also be able to join in, (I've put you down as a maybe for now, hope that is okay)...also noted SWISSBOBBY added their name as a potential, hoping it works out for you and the others that are hoping to join in...

An interesting piece about the Bristol Freighter aircraft today on BBC Points West, iPlayer link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...news-04012018# (from 03:42 in the time line) Aerospace Bristol has brought one back to the museum, which were originally built here at Filton and revolutionised air freight. It won't be on display by the time we visit but is a future project.

We're now 19 confirmed and should be able to get the guided tour of the museum which will make it much more enjoyable to have knowledgeable people give us far more info on some of the exhibits and be able to answer questions.

Anyone else up for coming along and seeing this interesting venue and meeting some people? Open to all!
Dakota likes this.

Last edited by BotB; Jan 4, 18 at 2:30 pm Reason: adding welcome to Bristol...remiss of me not to!
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes!

(Hopefully I'll be a local by then...)
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
FT Bristol ‘do’ taxi

We’ll be driving down from the NW on the Saturday so will be happy to offer space to others travelling between the different locations.
BotB likes this.
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
Yes!

(Hopefully I'll be a local by then...)
Yay! (to both being able to come to the DO and to moving to the area...definitely seems a few locals (whether new or long time resident)...

We're now 20...so a guided tour is definitely on...

EDIT: Thanks very much to MrBambi and MrsBambi for the kind offer to help with transporting people to the museum. Nearer the time, I'll try to get this more organised and convenient for everyone, but maybe it will be as simple as just taking those that make their way to the DT in the city centre and then back to there...Thanks again, much appreciated!

Anyone else wish to join in, the more the merrier, all welcome!

Last edited by BotB; Jan 4, 18 at 3:43 pm Reason: thanks to Mr and Mrs Bambi for the car sharing!

Search this Thread