Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Aerospace Bristol (Concorde museum) visit and DO | 24 Feb 2018

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:00 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: nick.t.davies
Wiki Link
Bristol DO (Concorde visit at Aerospace Bristol museum and evening drinks/meal) 24th Feb. 2018. (a Saturday)

DO activities and timings: (as a guide, this isn't regimented, however, you will want to maximise the Aerospace Bristol time so arriving in a timely manner will help, and later, our restaurant will get nervous if we don't arrive sometime between 7:45 and 8 PM!

I believe we currently have just about enough people car sharing/travelling together to get everyone to Aerospace Bristol from downtown...but if anyone needs a ride or is willing to offer a lift please do post that in the thread or note it on this wiki below by your name please. Ta!

Names for the lifts to/from Bristol to the museum can be added here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

12:10 Meet at DoubleTree Bristol car park to car share (for those that wish to, DT allows a brief entry to their car park without charge)
12:15 to 12:45 Car convoy to Aerospace Bristol (it's about a 30 minute journey in traffic)
12:45 to 13:00 Arrive, Ticket collection at Aerospace Bristol (BotB to wait at entrance for any stragglers!)
13:00 Aerospace Bristol and Concorde visit (we are registered as a group and have a discounted price but it is not a guided tour) £10 / person, please bring cash to the venue to receive your ticket.
16:00 Aerospace Bristol closes for the day
Thereafter car convoy back to DT City Centre

Then, later on...we offer two choices (the equivalent of chicken or beef if you will)...

For the livelier crowd that wants a few local pints before the main meal:

A Mini Pub Crawl being led by When I Travel The World, starting at 18:30 and going until 19:30ish so you'll be at SOTA in time for a nice hot meal and rejoining the rest of us!

The plan currently is to grab a quick beer at Brew Dog and then move onto the Small Bar http://www.smallbar.co.uk/ .

For those interested, please PM When I Travel The World to find out the secret handshake and location...enjoy!

For the rest, or should you wish to do your own thing until just before the evening meal, you can meet up with BotB at the Watershed (an easy place to find and a short walk to the SOTA restaurant afterwards)...I'll be there from 18:30 so show up anytime you like up to 19:30 when I'll take anyone that is with me to SOTA and we'll meet up with the others...

So,

18:30 to 19:30 Pre Meal Pub Crawl for those interested or...

18:30 to 19:30 General easy to find meeting point with options for drinks for those interested at Watershed cafe/bar area upstairs, harbourside. Website and info here: https://www.watershed.co.uk/cafe-bar

In either case, at: 19:30 to 19:45 both groups will stroll across to SOTA (Steak of the Art restaurant)....a 10 minute walk maximum along waterfront to Millennium square

19:45 Evening meal at Steak of the Art (SOTA)
22:45 We'll be asked to leave! (they close at 23:00 IIRC)...
Thereafter, those that wish to...can paint the town red...

Those attending: 29, so far, some for Museum, some for the evening meal!

For those attending the evening meal at SOTA, here is a link to the form you can fill out about your meal choices, sides, food allergies and such...(thanks to nick.t.davies ) https://goo.gl/forms/aDDKGIJf2Kq6fqJi1 I will post about this in the thread as well with more detail but thought it would be good to have it linked here in the wiki as well.

allturnleft (all activities) (getting lift from BotB) (staying Bristol Hotel)
bigmarley4 +1 (museum only)
BotB (local) *willing to drive others to museum (all spare car space taken) (All activities) (staying DoubleTree)
camdentown (all activities)
Cymro (evening meal/drinks only)(staying DoubleTree)
Dakota (local) (all activities)
flyingbrief (all activities)
Greenpen (staying at Double Tree, all activities)
johnaalex (all activities) (staying Marriott Royal) willing to drive others to museum
KARFA (staying DoubleTree) (all activities)
matthandy (moving so may be local by that time!)
megaloman (museum only)(getting a lift with BotB)
morges1 (all activities) (staying Bristol Hotel)
MrBambi & MrsBambi (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (all activities)
nick.t.davies (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum
PETER01 (evening meal/drinks only)
puqu99i +2 (all activities) (staying Mercure Brigstow) driving the trio!
simonsmith (all activities)
squawk (staying DoubleTree) (all activities) (getting a lift from BotB)
TheFlyingDoctor (local, museum visit in any case!) (already has ticket) public transport
thundercat (staying DoubleTree) *willing to drive others to museum (3 if CE, 4 if ET) (All activities)
When I Travel The World (Local, Museum visit and organising the pub crawl bit but not coming to dinner) (has own ticket for Bristol Aerospace) public transport
Ziz (evening meal/drinks only) (staying Hilton Garden Inn)

Hotels: (the Hilton DoubleTree seems to be the hotel of choice but for others see below!)

Link to post with suggested hotels in Bristol here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29180826-post32.html (besides the excellent FT threads on many of the hotels mentioned...)

Transport: (how to get here and what options are available!)

Link to post with suggested transport options; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202661-post37.html

Other sites to check out while you are here:

Link to post with suggestions: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29202750-post38.html

Updated to post 164.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 8, 18, 11:46 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I know it was mentioned before, but bonus half term content at the museum when we visit.

GET ON BOARD THIS HALF TERM AT AEROSPACE BRISTOL

Join Aerospace Bristol this February half term for a week of exploration, and step aboard Concorde Alpha Foxtrot - the last Concorde to be built and fly.

With lots of activities to keep the whole family entertained, get ready to blast off on a journey through time.

DAILY ACTIVITIES

9.30am – 5.30pm, daily from Saturday 10 February - Sunday 25 February 2018
Included in the price of admission
  • Get to grips with the principles of flight with hands-on activities under Concorde
  • Discover the fascinating stories behind exhibits with special ‘Spotlight’ talks
  • Test your reaction skills with our hands-on riveting game & get to grips with the physics of flight with our fun interactive exhibits
  • Help Alfie Fox on his fact-finding trail
  • Find the seven 'clocking-in' stations hidden throughout the museum
Old Feb 10, 18, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BotB View Post
A quick bump to the thread and to those that are attending to please make sure you get your food orders in asap if you are attending the evening meal. (for convenience, the link to the google form nick.t.davies has kindly provided is here: https://goo.gl/forms/GyqI5wd35ItREoUQ2
I currently have 19 responses for the menu orders, so a few missing from everyone who's indicated that they're coming to dinner.

I'm looking to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks.
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 6:41 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Just received approval of travel authorization from SWMBO. Will arrive BRS at 1015 on 24 Feb on Easyjet (!!!!!!), depart 1305 on 25 Feb. Will stay at Bristol Hotel and intend to attend Concorde, Watershed and SotA!
nick.t.davies likes this.
Old Feb 10, 18, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by morges1 View Post
Just received approval of travel authorization from SWMBO. Will arrive BRS at 1015 on 24 Feb on Easyjet (!!!!!!), depart 1305 on 25 Feb. Will stay at Bristol Hotel and intend to attend Concorde, Watershed and SotA!
Looking forward to meeting you, and everyone else in a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 12, 18, 2:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Originally Posted by morges1 View Post
Excellent, great to have you join us morges1, looking forward to the day of activities with a friendly group of fellow travel and aviation fans. Not to late to join us...open to all!

I'm just getting the list of those that have submitted their food choices from nick.t.davies (an all round great guy!) and once I have that, I'll badger you remaining lot for your orders for food which I need ideally by Wed. this week please in order to get them to SOTA in time for them to organise that...

Also, I'll send out PM's to all those that I haven't heard from (or forgotten!) about whether you wish to attend the Museum afternoon event as I need to also confirm that this Friday at the latest.

Finally, after the rush of the food orders and museum numbers, I'll try to see who needs a lift and who is willing to kindly offer a lift to others to the museum and make sure everyone is covered.

Cheers, not long now, only sleeps to go!
Old Feb 15, 18, 5:53 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Okay, quick update:

PM's sent to those that haven't entered their food choices yet! (thank you to all those that have done so as well!)

I've also chased those that were interested in attending the DO in general but haven't indicated whether they were attending the Bristol Aerospace museum or not...as i need to secure that tomorrow to get our group discount. (I've paid the deposit but need to pay the remaining amount due based on our total number). As mentioned, please bring £10 with you on the day to the museum and I'll hand over the tickets as I receive the money from you. Ta!

I've also asked those that I was PM'ing anyway about whether they can offer any car sharing to the museum or if they needed a lift...if you haven't indicated this until now (please see the wiki to show who I have heard from in this regard next to your name) please do let me know via this thread, by PM or by simply updating the wiki next to your name if you so wish. Thanks!

Currently we have a potential of 28 attending the Bristol Aerospace Museum afternoon session. (and 4 people willing to car share so far)

We currently have 29 attending the evening meal at SOTA.

There is no need to let me know if you are coming to the Watershed, that is simply a place to meet up as a group before we go to SOTA and for those that wish to grab a drink beforehand...Or for the Beer drinkers that want a bit more action...please get in touch with When I Travel The World (again via the thread or PM) to arrange a meeting point and pub order before getting back to SOTA in time for the meal at 20:00 (8 PM).

I'm sure there will be after dinner groups going out to paint the town red or back to the hotel(s) for more drinks and discussions but those won't be scripted!

There is just over week to go...

Potentially anyone that still wishes to join last minute can do so..but tomorrow evening is the cut off time as I will have had to give payment for the museum visit by then and submit the meal orders on the weekend.

Can't wait, will be a great time with fellow travel and aviation fans at a few different venues!

See you all soon, safe travels, any questions or issues just let me know (thread, PM)...
PETER01, MrBambi, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 18, 10:50 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Just wanted to add to BotB's post if its helpful for anyone.
I look this up for those staying at listed hotels downtown.

Once back at hotels to change or freshen up (if you need to) then these are the distances to the next places.

DOUBLE TREE CENTRE
12 Minute walk to Watershed Cafe or 12 Minute walk to Brew Dog

MERCURE BRIGSTOW
8 Minute walk to Watershed Cafe and almost directly above brew dog

MARRIOTT ROYAL
4 Minute walk to Watershed Cafe and 8 Minute walk to Brew Dog

Just thought that might be handy for anyone.
BotB and nick.t.davies like this.
Old Feb 15, 18, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to those that have answered their PM's, just a few left to get sorted before we have the museum and dinner numbers sorted and choices made.

Currently we're going to be 30 attending in total, with numbers currently showing 26 going to the museum and 26 going to the evening meal.

@wb1969 , please do get back to me asap about whether you wish to attend the museum afternoon event as I have been contacted by Bristol Aerospace and need to make the remaining payment to them tomorrow before 4 PM. (so whether I need to include you as one of the group or if you have your own ticket already please?)

@puqui99, could you please let me know if your group is 2 or 3 people for the museum and evening meal please? For the same reason the tickets at the museum which I need to finalise tomorrow before they close. Thanks!

I have PM'd a few of you about SOTA attendance and / or providing your meal choice if you have indicated you are attending...please do try to get those to me by Saturday evening so I can let them know Sunday or Monday first thing please! (If I haven't heard from you by Monday morning I'll have to assume that you are not attending the meal and therefore you won't be needing a meal choice...sorry but I'll need to close this off to ensure we keep our booking and they can prepare in time, etc...)

Thanks for your understanding everyone, getting close now...Looking forward to meeting everyone and a great day out!

Cheers, BotB (any questions or changes please do PM me or let me know via the thread! Thanks!)

A last minute call out to anyone that is lurking and would like to attend...you have until 2 PM tomorrow afternoon to commit to the DO... Come and join us, you know you want to!
Old Feb 15, 18, 1:29 pm

I’ve not had anymore responses for food orders for SOTA. So if you’ve been prodded by BtoB the here’s another prod.

We’re currently short 6.
Old Feb 16, 18, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've added mine now. Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 18, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies View Post
I’ve not had anymore responses for food orders for SOTA. So if you’ve been prodded by BtoB the here’s another prod.

We’re currently short 6.
Thanks nick.t.davies

I've not heard back from @wb1969 at all so will assume no interest or changed situation and hope they are okay and just not in communication. This means we are 25 going to Aerospace Bristol and I'll finalise that booking today. Will have to stop any others joining us for the museum visit (at least at the £10 entry price, people can obviously join us by paying normal entry fee if they wish to join us at the last minute.)

Regarding SOTA and food orders; I believe we are now only waiting on 3 people: @Ziz , @TheFlyingDoctor and @wb1969 . (Sorry to name you here but you may not have allowed PM's and so hoping you'll see this and respond by tomorrow (Sat. 17th) or I'll have to assume you are no longer able or interested in attending the evening meal as I'll have to submit the orders this weekend.

The other 3 (for nick.t.davies) should be my wife...I can submit hers when I place the order and two others that replied that they would submit last night (or hopefully early this morning?)

So, 30 of us in total, 25 going to the museum together with a slightly different mix of 23 to 26 going to the evening meal at SOTA, depending on whether one or more of the 3 above answer or not.

I'll work on car sharing next but want to get the museum tickets sorted now and hopefully the meals also sorted by end of today (latest tomorrow).

Currently we're at around 5 cars which could theoretically carry 20 people and at least one or more will make their own way on public transport so still needing a few more cars to get everyone to the museum and back again ideally, should anyone be driving to the DO, and be willing to car share (no pressure, just asking!) please do let me know on the thread or via PM...obviously, if there are not enough cars, I'm sure people can arrange an uber or taxi/public transport grouping but would like to see if we can cover everyone without 'needing' to, if that is what people would prefer.

Thanks, only a week to go now proper...Looking forward to it. Thanks to those that did reply to me yesterday, very much appreciated! See you soon.

BotB (it's hard to steer things from back here I'm noticing! )
squawk and nick.t.davies like this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 7:25 am

To confirm I can take 4 plus myself in my car, unless anyone wants to travel freight for a simulated experience of a BA densified service!!

Also I'll be leaving LHR at around 2030 on the Friday evening (with KARFA) if anyone else wants a lift down from the London area. A return trip is available for no additional cost on Sunday!

Last edited by nick.t.davies; Feb 16, 18 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 16, 18, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Group booking now paid in full. 23 tickets for those that need one and 2 to join us that have tickets already.

Please do remember to bring £10 / person with you on the day and I'll hand over the ticket(s) in exchange for the cash. (you may be able to persuade me to accept Avios transfer as an alternative! )

So, 25 is the number going to the Aerospace Bristol museum portion of the DO. I did ask again about a guided tour but they have again stated that during this period they don't offer them due to the larger anticipated volume of people going through the museum from people taking half term holidays. (or the staff that do this may be away on their own holidays) but in any case, reduced entrance price at least and do remember that with the group ticket, you can still go to the reception and pay just £5 on top and get an individual ticket so you could return again (I believe as often as you like, not just once) within a year without having to pay again...You can do this anytime during or at the end of our visit so can decide if you want to come back again after seeing it and just exchange the ticket at reception for the extra fiver.

Now just waiting for the remaining food orders please to confirm SOTA numbers and meal choices. I don't have to pay anything in advance for that so you'll just need to be able to pay your bill on the evening to the restaurant.

Any questions please do let me know.

Safe travels.
Old Feb 16, 18, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by BotB View Post
you may be able to persuade me to accept Avios transfer as an alternative! )
I expect to get at least 3p value from every Avios, I presume you'd agree to those terms.
Old Feb 16, 18, 8:11 am
Original Poster

To confirm I can take 4 plus myself in my car, unless anyone wants to travel freight for a simulated experience of a BA densified service!!

Also I'll be leaving LHR at around 2030 on the Friday evening (with KARFA) if anyone else wants a lift down from the London area. A return trip is available for no additional cost on Sunday!
Thanks nick.t.davies , very nice of you indeed and much appreciated. thundercat can also take 3 in his car, I can take 3 (with 2 people already allocated) and puqui99 will drive their threesome. That makes 16 people total between those 4 vehicles...Any other offers to provide lifts to the museum and back greatly appreciated.

I expect to get at least 3p value from every Avios, I presume you'd agree to those terms.
Heh, you'd have to ply me with quite a lot of LPGS or LP/Bolly Rose before I'd be able to accept that redemption!

Search this Thread