Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Price Increases [APD increases in Premium Cabins in Nov 2017 UK Budget]

Price Increases [APD increases in Premium Cabins in Nov 2017 UK Budget]

Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Anyone else remember Stelios carrying buckets along a check-in queue when APD went up?

It was the embarrassment of the resulting publicity that made the government change tactic and publish its plans further in advance than any current selling window. Thus the April 2018 change was announced long ago, and the latest is for 2019, when no one yet has a ticket.
I don't remember the Stelios incident, but I seem to recall that previous policy was that APD increases might be announced much closer to the date on which the increase took effect, but that the increase would only apply to tickets issued after the date of the announcement. There was then a fuss, IIRC, when that was changed so that airlines would become liable to the increased APD even for tickets already issued - the Stelios bucket incident would seem to be consistent with that fuss. The present approach solves the problem in a different way, while also avoiding the difficult accounting issues that might have prompted the first change.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by stuart_f
My mistake on the date. Somehow I had got it into my mind it was from next April.

I was thinking about the mess that the retrospective Norway tax caused and wondered if something similar might happen here. Good to know there's no conflict in this case.
There is a separate increase applicable from April 2018 but it was announced in the spring budget so again no one would have been able to book prior to the announcement.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
With air travel, when a tax changes the passenger only becomes liable for it if/when he/she does a voluntary reissue. This is pretty much IATA standard globally.
The passenger is liable if the tax changes - as referred to above, when UK government did make an APD change where some were already ticketed, some airlines ( such as BA) chose to absorb the cost themselves whilst others collected the additional cost at checkin ( such as (iiirc) AA)
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
In the final analysis, it's only money, and for J/F pax a fraction of the fare.

Look at the taxes on fuel, alcohol and cigarettes and ... relax
i agree, the hyperbole about paying £160 on s £4000’fare is not rationale and it can be relatively easily avoided by starting elsewhere in Europe and on fares a fraction of those originating in the U.K. those who can afford U.K. originating Club and First fares should pay higher taxes.

For me there is no argument that APD is an important tax and it should remain high so long as BA retains fees and charges on all tickets which are at least double APD. When, and only when these fees are reduced or eliminated should anyone even consider looking at this tax.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by binman
i agree, the hyperbole about paying £160 on s £4000’fare is not rationale and it can be relatively easily avoided by starting elsewhere in Europe and on fares a fraction of those originating in the U.K. those who can afford U.K. originating Club and First fares should pay higher taxes.

For me there is no argument that APD is an important tax and it should remain high so long as BA retains fees and charges on all tickets which are at least double APD. When, and only when these fees are reduced or eliminated should anyone even consider looking at this tax.
Where do you get that argument from? If you're trying to argue that BA's splitting of its fare into "fare" and "carrier surcharge" somehow justifies APD, I feel you should lay off whatever is altering your mind in such a way. When you buy a ticket with cash, like most people do, there's "monies paid by customer to BA and retained by them to operate the service" and "monies paid by customer to BA and passed on by them to airport operator, government, security services, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and All". BA's arrangement of their monies has nothing to do with what the general passenger pays.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no YQ or YR on BA's shorthaul tickets, so should the chancellor look at raising shorthaul taxes?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You do know that BA is not the only airline to fly out of the UK? using BA's fare disguised as taxes as a basis for why APD is fine, seems to ignore all other carriers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.