Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Price Increases [APD increases in Premium Cabins in Nov 2017 UK Budget]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Increases [APD increases in Premium Cabins in Nov 2017 UK Budget]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't necessarily agree that airlines are undertaxed, but I do think people who suggest APD is unfair or extortionate do conveniently ignore the fact that airfares are not subject to VAT. There aren't many products or services you can buy in the UK for several thousand pounds yet only pay £150 (or even £172) in sales tax.
There are lots of items that can be bought which are exported where VAT is zero
If VAT was introduced, I could not see it being any different than AU where GST is applied only on domestic bookings where tickets are issued in Australia

Replacing APD with that would seem to be a great reduction

it seems to be suggesting that it is perfectly fair to introduce taxes of a high cost to make up for fact that other taxes would not be chargeable
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Removed
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by Calchas; Nov 22, 2017 at 2:25 pm Reason: Brexiteers winding me up ... will return to the other FT (Financial Times) to take comfort
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
100% paid for by us the passenger - check your fare breakdowns!

On BA maybe. But Ryanair often sells below APD or only just above it. I bought a flight from Stansted to Bremen next week for £5.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by barnet
On BA maybe. But Ryanair often sells below APD or only just above it. I bought a flight from Stansted to Bremen next week for £5.
My understanding of the duty is that it is the air carrier that is liable to pay the charges , not the passenger ; most airlines then charge it on to the passenger
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
it seems to be suggesting that it is perfectly fair to introduce taxes of a high cost to make up for fact that other taxes would not be chargeable
Well there is certainly an argument that it is fair to do so. After all, if you can make an argument that VAT at 20% is fair (which clearly someone can, because if that were indisputably unfair then it wouldn't persist) then you can surely make an argument that taxing overseas air travel - and in particular premium air travel - is fair.

For clarity, from a personal perspective I would of course love to see APD massively reduced or even abolished, and think there are reasonable arguments for doing so, but I can see the other side of the coin too.

Anyway I'm steering the thread off topic again - sorry Mods!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
My TA advises me to avoid departure from Heathrow due to the higher fees.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The UK does not charge VAT on wholly domestic (all) travel and probably derogates to some past agreement before it joined the EEC because (most?) other Member States do, including at an agreed lower rate. For example, clearly indicated on LOT tickets (8% -lower rate) and you can see it in the RD fare breakdown on Lufthansa if you churn on ITA.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
My TA advises me to avoid departure from Heathrow due to the higher fees.
"You don't want to leave from Heathrow. It's waaaay cheaper going to SIN if you fly from KUL instead."
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't necessarily agree that airlines are undertaxed, but I do think people who suggest APD is unfair or extortionate do conveniently ignore the fact that airfares are not subject to VAT. There aren't many products or services you can buy in the UK for several thousand pounds yet only pay £150 (or even £172) in sales tax.
Houses are still zero rated.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Houses are still zero rated.
For VAT, but they are subject to SDLT, which is just another form of sales tax.

Of course as of yesterday first-time buyers will get some relief from SDLT but we hardly need venture into the pros and cons of that move!

IIRC some party/organisation mooted the idea a while ago of making APD based on how many times you had flown that year. Utterly impractical though.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
For flights that depart next year that have been booked, paid and ticketed at the current rate what rules and procedures apply?

Will BA attempt to claim the difference, if so how will this be done given that they don't store the CVV number of the card used?

Can the customer cancel without penalty due to the increased cost?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stuart_f
For flights that depart next year that have been booked, paid and ticketed at the current rate what rules and procedures apply?

Will BA attempt to claim the difference, if so how will this be done given that they don't store the CVV number of the card used?

I don't remember BA attempting to claim any difference. In any case I understand the increase takes effect from April 2019 so no one should have a booking for air travel that far out.

https://www.ft.com/content/349ddabe-...b-291a884dd8c6
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
My mistake on the date. Somehow I had got it into my mind it was from next April.

I was thinking about the mess that the retrospective Norway tax caused and wondered if something similar might happen here. Good to know there's no conflict in this case.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Anyone else remember Stelios carrying buckets along a check-in queue when APD went up?

It was the embarrassment of the resulting publicity that made the government change tactic and publish its plans further in advance than any current selling window. Thus the April 2018 change was announced long ago, and the latest is for 2019, when no one yet has a ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With air travel, when a tax changes the passenger only becomes liable for it if/when he/she does a voluntary reissue. This is pretty much IATA standard globally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.