HSBC World elite card And BA/avios

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
You don't need to be resident in the other countries you open premier accounts in to hold a premier credit card in those countries.

Bear in mind the FX loading charged on overseas transactions in most (but not all) HSBC country operations (the US Premier credit card is free of loading charges), and also the loading/fees you will be charged when paying off the card from a country you don't have funds/income in*. Generally it is only going to make sense having a credit card in another currency if you are going to spend using it regularly and want the benefit of being able to do your currency exchange at a different time to making purchases - unless the points bonus is really spectacular.

*It seems possible to avoid the loading using Revolut. Their website is vague about whether charges will or won't be applied but I tried my first transfer UK to Aus last week, with no fees charged and a near interbank rate.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:26 am

Can anyone who has this card tell me if they use the iPass benefit that's included with the package? I believe it enables you to use inflight wifi on a number of carriers, can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Companymessage
Can anyone who has this card tell me if they use the iPass benefit that's included with the package? I believe it enables you to use inflight wifi on a number of carriers, can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Thanks
I tried to use the benefit with Gogo on AA flights. Didn’t work so I opened a support ticket. Was told that the HSBC benefit does not include in flight usage. IPass worked fine for me at normal ground locations.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
I was not successful with the HSBC iPass on an Air Canada 777 with GoGo despite it having an iPass login option but it worked with Lufthansa FlyNet on an A320 between Germany and France (and unlocked the highest streaming package which was rather a surprise). LoungeKey is useful flying EasyJet or AF/LH within Europe, which is about 50% of my shorthaul flying.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I tried using lounge key at No 1 lounge at gatwick which turned me away and said you had to be pre booked as too busy.
Can you pre book with lounge key?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I tried using lounge key at No 1 lounge at gatwick which turned me away and said you had to be pre booked as too busy.
Can you pre book with lounge key?
A good question and apologies I do not have a good answer!

The faq on the website does not cover this and I do not think I have seen an option (although I rarely make use of the lounge access), so I suspect that you cannot pre-book. It might be worth contacting the company to check.

https://www.loungekey.com/en/faq

Not sure that pre-booking is possible with Priority Pass either?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:57 pm

I don’t see how this would work without payment up front and frankly it is not a big deal for me if they are full as it is not pleasant (when BA was using it as a fallback and it was rammed then I frequently chose Pret as a better option). There is always the MyLounge as an alternative which never seems to be busy.

Edited to add that you have to pay a £5 fee upfront to reserve a place via their website if you are PP or LoungeKey. Not worth it IMO.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jan 18, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by mike&co
Terms and conditions for a successful application may prove difficult for some

To be eligible for an HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard you need to be over 18, a UK resident and an HSBC Premier customer.
HSBC Premier is available without a monthly account fee if you meet any of the following criteria:
  1. have savings or investments of at least £50,000 with HSBC in the UK; or
  2. have an individual annual income of at least £100,000 and one of the following products with HSBC in the UK:
- a mortgage;

- an investment, life insurance or protection product;

Or, qualify for HSBC Premier in another country.

Please note: HSBC in the UK excludes M&S Bank, First Direct and HSBC Expat. For the second criteria, in the case of a joint account, at least one of the parties must have an individual annual income of at least £100,000. The investment, life insurance or protection products also includes those purchased through one of HSBC's advisers.
The criteria is actually £75k earnings now
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
have people received their 2nd bonus one year on; mine is due imminently

Last edited by allturnleft; Jan 18, 2019 at 2:20 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
A good question and apologies I do not have a good answer!

The faq on the website does not cover this and I do not think I have seen an option (although I rarely make use of the lounge access), so I suspect that you cannot pre-book. It might be worth contacting the company to check.

https://www.loungekey.com/en/faq

Not sure that pre-booking is possible with Priority Pass either?
Yes you can pre-book reservations here - https://no1lounges.com/reservations

This will prioritise access over a walk in. It costs £5 (which IMO is well worth it. Most people will spend £5 at an airport on food & drink)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
I use the HSBC World Elite as my backup card to the BA AMEX. Although AMEX is widely accepted (more so since they capped the interchange fee), there are still many times in which it is not and having this card allows me to direct all spending onto a rewards card that earns Avios (I believe it is the best non-AMEX earning rate you can get).

Also the Amazon voucher conversion option was useful this Xmas (They also have Debenhams, John Lewis, Argos, etc)
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by allturnleft
have people received their 2nd bonus one year on; mine is due imminently
Sorry for unearthing a very old post, did you get your bonus in the end, and pay for your renewal? My HSBC World Elite expires in January 2021 and I'm wondering whether I can get my 1st year/ £12k spend bonus without having to pay for the renewal fee. The bonus is, after all, earned on year 1 so should not require payment of year 2 fees, should it?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:20 am

Nope you do need to pay the renewal fee to get the part 2 of the bonus. Unless you value the LoungeKey (useful when travelling Easyjet) and iPass (good if you fly LH/LX) then the cost of the Card is not really supported by the Avios points alone imho (into my 2nd year with one).
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by Robespierre
Unless you value the LoungeKey (useful when travelling Easyjet)
Or don't have silver status or above and regularly fly in a cabin other than F/J or on non-Oneworld carriers if you do have BAEC status.

I moved to the Premier World Elite as a replacement for the Amex Platinum when they hiked the annual fee last year.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Originally Posted by ConstantVoyager
Sorry for unearthing a very old post, did you get your bonus in the end, and pay for your renewal? My HSBC World Elite expires in January 2021 and I'm wondering whether I can get my 1st year/ £12k spend bonus without having to pay for the renewal fee. The bonus is, after all, earned on year 1 so should not require payment of year 2 fees, should it?
I renewed early this year on the basis of getting 1p per air mile bonus on top of the distinctly average earning rate for anywhere that doesn't take Amex, but won't be renewing again next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.