Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Christmas Advert

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I thought it was a movie tie-in for Paddington 2, who I was expecting to pop up and welcome his visitors any moment!

signol
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Paxing
I wonder if that is Miss Clark, or a careful look-a-like?
Well, Petula Clark says it's Petula Clark.

https://twitter.com/Petula_Clark/status/932654168451571713
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:59 am

Very nicely done, I must say.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Is there some problem with the green screen around 0:18? Some guy seems to be lifting a suitcase as if to load it into the plane but the hatch hasn't been opened.
I think he's just lifting it onto the cart.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:11 am

Indeed, you can see him lifting the same case on to the cart again 5 seconds later.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
So what's the point of this?
Either I've missed something or it gives the impression that flying BA or whoever is really depressing for the most part.
(Added: Watched it again and he seems to have pulled a member of the cabin crew and they've spent their days together when he's not being depressed flying)

Might have been nice if they had thrown Concorde in somewhere considering how much of a place it has in the airline's history..

Walkers shortbread / biscuits. Didn't realise you could get them in the 60s.

Last edited by xenole; Nov 22, 2017 at 1:25 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
So what's the point of this?
Either I've missed something or it gives the impression that flying BA or whoever is really depressing for the most part.
The clue is in very first screen "Closer Heathrow". It's publicity for HAL, rather than BA, but if you are going to do a 40 year retrospective then you're going to run out of airlines if you didn't make BAOC/BA the centre piece. Plus BA's ever evolving corporate identity will always win over that of its landlord, which in any case wasn't there 40 years ago. So if you look all over Heathrow you will see the Closer campaign in evidence. For example there are pictures of two girls off to Mexico, one thinking "holiday romance", the other thinking the complete opposite; a gay couple reflecting on "where it all started" in Sydney, young families being reunited after flying, and so on.

In other words the message is if you want to get closer to the things that matter to you - family, friends, places - Heathrow is there to make it happen.
http://www.heathrow.com/more/closer

The campaign was devised by Havas, and I would guess the bears - from last year - were blended into the Closer ethos:
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/heathrow-wonderers-havas-london/1436088
http://creativity-online.com/work/heathrow-airport-wonderers/51963

[And Joseph Walker has been making shortbread in Moray since 1898 and is now Scotland's biggest food exporter. It's still run by the Walker family].
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The clue is in very first screen "Closer Heathrow". It's publicity for HAL, rather than BA, but if you are going to do a 40 year retrospective then you're going to run out of airlines if you didn't make BAOC/BA the centre piece. Plus BA's ever evolving corporate identity will always win over that of its landlord, which in any case wasn't there 40 years ago. So if you look all over Heathrow you will see the Closer campaign in evidence. For example there are pictures of two girls off to Mexico, one thinking "holiday romance", the other thinking the complete opposite; a gay couple reflecting on "where it all started" in Sydney, young families being reunited after flying, and so on.

In other words the message is if you want to get closer to the things that matter to you - family, friends, places - Heathrow is there to make it happen.
http://www.heathrow.com/more/closer

The campaign was devised by Havas, and I would guess the bears - from last year - were blended into the Closer ethos:
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/heathrow-wonderers-havas-london/1436088
http://creativity-online.com/work/heathrow-airport-wonderers/51963

[And Joseph Walker has been making shortbread in Moray since 1898 and is now Scotland's biggest food exporter. It's still run by the Walker family].
Have to say that the Heathrow "closer" ad under the link above worked better for me than the bears ad. Apart from the voiceover, seems less depressing and a good mix.

Sure Joseph is long gone by now
They do seem to have quite a presence in airports etc. around the world. They make shortbread for Sainsbury etc.
Do pop into their factory shop most times I'm driving through Aberlour between Buckie and the A9 at Aviemore. Slightly swayed towards Deans of Huntly although they've a few too many shortbread products with vegetable oil now instead of just butter (great black pudding as part of the Scottish breakfast in their café). Not sure if they make the tea flavoured biscuits you get in the Pier J lounge in HKG as I've had Earl Grey biscuits from them in the past.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Why is it a "BOAC Cunard" Plane in the first scene ?

Wikipedia says BOAC Cunard was dissolved in 1966.

Does that real aircraft have BOAC Cunard Livery or is it CGI ?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Scillybear
Why is it a "BOAC Cunard" Plane in the first scene ?

Wikipedia says BOAC Cunard was dissolved in 1966.

Does that real aircraft have BOAC Cunard Livery or is it CGI ?
If you follow the google maps link that I posted above you can answer the second question for yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.