Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold

OK, this is largely a rant, but I'm just venting. Thanks for bearing with.

I flew to Bologna for a weekend away with the other half and had a great time - apart from the flight there and back.

The "gate rage" was palpable both ways with people lining up early and jostling, and some people cutting the priority line, then getting shouted at but not caring, just to get valuable overhead luggage space.

The whole atmosphere boarding on both flights was horrible.

Even in Business (which I don't generally fly within Europe, but sometimes do) you are not guaranteed overhead locker space unless you make sure you're the first to board, which doesn't always happen if you're lolling in the lounge. (First world problems, I know, I know...)

I just don't know what the answer is. I think the airlines (in the US, now here) have created a monster that can't be undone

I know BA are introducing zoned boarding but I don't think that will help - groups 2 & 3 will still mill around the gate and block it, I'm sure. And pity poor group 5 who will be the ones with hand baggage only who get on last and have zero chance of a spot in an overhead locker. You pays your money, I guess.

BA passive-aggressively hands out the "bag must go under the seat in front" label, but then don't seem to follow up any enforcement. Some people ignore the label (either arrogant or don't speak English) and bung two bags (one labeled) in the overhead locker (ie flight home last night - definitely arrogant: challenged by American woman and he just sneered at her). I'm sure cabin crew staff must hate the whole scenario too.

As a Gold-Card holder I'm seriously considering ditching BA on European routes for easyJet...if you go for Speedy Boarding with them there just doesn't seem to be the same vile atmosphere that has developed on BA. Their ground staff seem more empowered to challenge those who are bringing on the kitchen sink.

Sorry, as I said, just venting...
Calchas and hoteltraum like this.

Last edited by Whenderson; Nov 20, 2017 at 4:39 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Whenderson
As a Gold-Card holder I'm seriously considering ditching BA on European routes for easyJet...if you go for Speedy Boarding with them there just doesn't seem to be the same vile atmosphere that has developed on BA. Their ground staff seem more empowered to challenge those who are bringing on the kitchen sink.
(1) Assuming you dont get a bus transfer and/or
(2) Assuming there is not 60 odd people in speedy boarding which I have seen on many times.

The best for short haul baggage issues IMHO is Ryan Air.. They count 90 bags and thats it every body else has to put their bag into the hold. People dont complain and they do board the fastest net net even with tagging the excess bags. This assumes they are flying that day of course!

Winter is coming, those huge (Arsene Wenger type) padded coats are in fashion again and its only going to get worse folks........
Statman likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:43 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Reduce hand baggage allowances across the board. As it stands there's no enough space on the aircraft to accommodate everything if all passengers utilise their allowance.

Then enforce it ruthlessly.
msben and awayIgo like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:55 am

I dont generally adhere to the small bag under the seat rule, if i only have one small bag, im not sure why my legroom should be penalised to allow someone with a larger bag to take the space instead. Especially when legroom is at a premium and my knees dont do too well.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As someone who boards at the end of the process, I had no idea I had missed out on all of these fun and games. And somehow I've always found a spot for my bag.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As someone who boards at the end of the process, I had no idea I had missed out on all of these fun and games. And somehow I've always found a spot for my bag.
Yeah - but that's easy for you to say when the standard BA cabin fit includes a locker on every aircraft that's placarded "Reserved for corporate-wage-slave".
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I was turned into a monster by the early implementation of yellow tag on long haul where despite travelling light with a small floppy rucksack, it was removed from the overhead and stuffed under the seat in front so that a number of identikit middle managers on a jolly out East could find room for their roller suitcases cum mobile homes. Despite early boarding. It created a perverse incentive to bring a big bag if you want legroom. From that day to this I have never suffered a yellow tag to remain attached to my bag, somehow they always fell off, and I've learned never to answer the question "is this your bag sir?" with anything more than a non-committal grunt or mumbled Sanskrit phrase.

Having said that, I've not generally seen a problem with stowing my bag in the locker - if you're half way through the boarding there is normally somewhere to put the bag. The scrum at the gate is more about the psychology of control than practicality. It worries you only if you allow it to worry you.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I'm not sure that HBO fares turn people in to monsters. I was checking in with SWMBO on a different airline a couple of days ago. Once we had completed check in, the couple behind pushed us away, pushing SWMBO to one side, and me to the other. The bloke had a demonic look to his eyes. SWMBO and I just moved away, simply saying "How Rude" so the rest of the queue knew our opinion.
Many aspects of flying causes the monster within to emerge.
bisonrav and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses so far - I'm in a much better mood since I had a coffee.

The above points are all valid and, as usual, show the high caliber of Flyer Talk forum, and the fact that there are always two sides to everything.

The phrase "it worries you only if you allow it to worry you" resonates especially - I shouldn't let "locker rage" annoy me, but somehow it does. My ideal scenario, not always practical, is to check a bag in then stroll on last carrying only my passport and my iphone stuffed with downloaded TV shows.

I definitely need to be more zen!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I suspect a large part of the issue was simply being in Northern Italy surrounded by a bunch of Northern Italians.
Cymro, Revenge and BingBongBoy like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
"Turned people into monsters".

No, revealed them to be the monsters they were all along.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I suspect a large part of the issue was simply being in Northern Italy surrounded by a bunch of Northern Italians.
Hi Pete, no absolutely the opposite...it was very definitely the Brits who were the "problem" both ways. (Although I have seen an actual stampede at Gatwick last year on an easyJet flight to Sicily, which was more funny than anything).
rickg523 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flatlander
"Turned people into monsters".

No, revealed them to be the monsters they were all along.
This. Can't blame BA for offering cheaper fares for those who are willing to pack efficiently. It is a win-win for both BA and for the consumer. But, I can certainly blame people who want to mix and match, e.g. cheaper fare + luggage.

The solution is indeed to strictly enforce the size limits, assure that the small piece goes under the seat and is only placed overhead once boarding is complete and there is still room and that boarding with bags requiring overhead space is stopped before people board (crew and gate need to communicate). Bags which are compliant but which must be checked should, of course, be checked without charge. Bags, which are not compliant, ought to be checked to the baggage office of the destination where the passenger may pay the fee and a substantial penalty (thus collecting fees but not slowing down boarding or having the gate take payments).

Lastly, perhaps a small section on the website, providing helpful hints on packing. 3-4 day trips with checked luggage, unless it's a formal occasion with multiple changes of clothes, strikes as odd in this day and age.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I do exactly what you do CWS but I have always wondered if everyone did what we did then no one would ever board the plane!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I do exactly what you do CWS but I have always wondered if everyone did what we did then no one would ever board the plane!
I hadn't thought of that, but yes, my tactic only works because others can't / won't do anything other that get to a gate stupidly early, then get bored, then start queuing up, get bored again, start focusing on micro problems due to boredom, let the blood pressure rise.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.