Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by squawk
I needed a small holdall ... “invisible to gate agents”
This is where I win as well I think. I have a soft sided "square" bag with handles and shoulder straps. It seems quite cavernous, actually ~45l IIRC. I can survive a week without laundry with clean underwear, business shirts, casual evening clothes, toiletries, fleece, lightweight coat, electronic paraphernalia, etc all disappearing into it. I do look at the gate gauges and think it must be oversized, but could pluck out enough to go into the day back (that I also carry in it for destination use) if forced to go two-bag. Anyhow, I think gate agents are looking below the knee for bags to snaffle away, so carrying this lump on my shoulder means it has never been questioned. It was a bit tight in an EJ90 once, but otherwise is always a happy fit to a reasonably empty overhead.

I actually have two because BA damaged the zips on the first c. 2005, sent a larger than expected cheque as compensation, and since John Lewis were sell them off as end of line I got a 2nd even cheaper than the first. The Cabin Zero 44l ones are as close as I've seen (and we have a couple of those as well), but I don't like them as much.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I saw some ridiculous ones the other day at T5.

There were multiple people with multiple oversize baggage each (well oversized, not just a bit oversized - the lockers would not come anywhere near closing unless they were put in sideways, if the thickness was sufficient), and there was one with 4 large bags, one of which was well and truly oversize. What are those people thinking?

They came forward when they asked for those on HBO fares who wanted to check their bags in, so they did not have any negative impact on the locker space on this particular occasion but I wonder if there were others who did not come forward? Also, how about learning that behaviour of bringing ridiculous amount of bags through, knowing that they can gate check them FoC, instead of paying for two bags for instance?

I think BA really needs to stop them from reaching the gate in the first place, by stopping them before security (including rejecting them at transfer if needed).

Oversize bags that cannot fit into the overhead locker anything other than sideways also need to be policed and stopped IMO, as they take up too much space.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
We don't want to end up in the situation where (in my experience) it seems mandatory for each passenger to take two large carry-on items that will never fit under the seat on all US domestic flights.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
If you would like an indication of how poorly the bag enforcement issue will turn out and what poorly executed zoned boarding is, please enjoy the delights of Air Canada. At least BA pax still know that shoving or cutting in line is bad form.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:22 pm

HBO has turned bags into monsters not people!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
One of the issues is that the overhead storage space is smaller than total space needed if the load is nearly full and most passengers bring a substantial bag, even if the bag is w/in limits. I am surprised that BA has not shifted to stricter hand carry restrictions; there are now multiple airlines that limit Y passengers to 1 bag of 7 kg and enforce it.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by squawk
I needed a small holdall earlier this year and picked up the bag which c-w-s has recommended in a few threads (on my phone or I’d link to them). The thing which sold me was a comment along the lines of it being “invisible to gate agents” Not yet had occasion to use it as carry on but it is quite cavernous and when not in use folds up inside itself with the aid of zippers to something about the size of a large paperback. I’ll have to dig out the thread and leave a proper review!

I agree, a lot of stress in boarding is caused by people being inconsiderate around others. In my case, my usual medium backpack (North Face Borealis) can go under the seat in front at a push, but unless it’s almost empty I much prefer it in the overhead so that I have some room for my feet. There is almost always enough room for it sitting on top of others’ suitcases, and still leave space for jackets etc on top. What is frustrating is when people take up all of the space with their bags without placing them sensibly, eg putting smalll bags end on, or putting smaller plastic bags in a space that would be better used for a suitcass - leaving lots of space available but in small pockets.
My problem is that if I need to take a pair of shoes with me then that's the who,e of the rucksack taken up! - UK15
squawk likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Unfortunately those who work inside Watergate do not have face to face contact daily with their customers.

Those of us who do will understand many of them range from delightful through utterly selfish to downright rude.

HBO fares work well for considerate passengers but are a nightmare when you have a plane full of selfish idiots.

What can BA do about this besides enforce cabin bag sizing and charge people to stow their excess?

I'd love to see this enforced as currently its just ludicrous to watch some people loading on huge cases.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by flatlander
Meanwhile, in Club Europe there is almost enough space for everyone bring on board a maximum size item, so as long as the bins over Club seats are kept for Club passenger baggage, they won't have a problem and boarding last will be fine for them. I'm afraid I do note that quite a few of the board-last-no-problems advocates either always travel in Club or travel with very little in a bag or both. For those where neither applies, boarding last means being separated from your bag that you aren't entirely intending on being separated from.
This may be the case on the majority of flights, yes, but it happened to me more than once that either the CE overhead space was full already when I boarded (and as I was in row 1 I had to put everything in the overhead lockers, and I think I found space near row 4 or 5).
I have also seen cabin crew put bags from ET passengers in the CE overhead lockers on full flights during the boarding process (albeit nearly at the end). Maybe they were aware that no more Club passenger would board after this or not.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:21 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I
Originally Posted by scubaccr
My pet hate is different but similar, again related to selfish self-centered fliers

How many times have I entered the cabin via elite Prtyboarding a little late as sauntered down from the airline lounge, boarding at same time as the usual last 10rows of economy passengers are let onboard, AND see an economy passenger/(couples) for say ROW-60 place rolla-case and hand-lugage-bag in overhead bin of first Y rows eg ROW 21 or ROW 31.
I have often seen this once I was sitting just behind CE and a couple looked sheepishly around before cramming 2 large carryonsinto the CE bins ( and I mean large!) before heading down to the rear of the plane. The flight was completely full and some late boarding CE pax had no overhead space. I decided to advise the flight attendant who promptly returned said bags to their owner.

on another day on a CE flight to nice my husband asked the man sitting opposite to remove on of his 3 carryons as I would have no space when I boarded a few minutes later.. He reluctantly did seriously 3 bags 2 carryons and a large shopping bag plus handbag!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I assume this is referring to the pre-February boarding groups - Group 3 in the olden days broadly corresponds to group 7 now. Group 3 now are Platinums/ OW Sapphires.
No, you can't leave it too late on AA. If you are on a connection the gate agent may be looking to recycle your seat for standbys, and so if you are not at the gate 15 minutes before departure you can be turfed off - even if they are still boarding the aircraft. Those in Groups 1 and 3 are the scrum masters (Emeralds and Sapphires), so like any pacey back you best leave them to it, but not too long.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I saw some ridiculous ones the other day at T5.

There were multiple people with multiple oversize baggage each (well oversized, not just a bit oversized - the lockers would not come anywhere near closing unless they were put in sideways, if the thickness was sufficient), and there was one with 4 large bags, one of which was well and truly oversize. What are those people thinking?

They came forward when they asked for those on HBO fares who wanted to check their bags in, so they did not have any negative impact on the locker space on this particular occasion
What were they thinking? At best BA are too weak to enforce the regulations so we will get all the bags on.

And at worst we might need to check some of the bags but we will get it for free and get priority boarding in exchange as well.

Sounds great - why wouldn't you?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by smokie36

I'd love to see this enforced as currently its just ludicrous to watch some people loading on huge cases.
I think they should be charged a penalty for bringing them to the gate. A so-called gate-check fee that is double the airport excess baggage fees or something, to be used as a deterrent.
smokie36 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think they should be charged a penalty for bringing them to the gate. A so-called gate-check fee that is double the airport excess baggage fees or something, to be used as a deterrent.
Just like easyJet?
scubaccr likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
How about just charging to take bags into the cabin rather than into the hold?
I believe there is an airline that already does this.
For example: £10 to check a bag in, £30 to bring one in the cabin.

Whats the big issue with a bag being checked in at the gate anyway? Apart from those who have tight connections - there isn’t an issue right?
I’ve never waited long for my bags to be delivered anyway. I think there’s a big deal about waiting for bags to arrive on the carousel when really it doesn’t take as long as it used to - not in most airports anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.