Wiki Posts
Search

CX BKK- HKG , BA HKG-LHR checked baggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
That's because CX is handled by BA at JFK !
CX will certainly allow a thru check onto BA at HKG.
Is that correct? CX have moved across to T8 a few months ago so would CX be using BA agents?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
I asked at JFK the other day, when flying CX F to HKG, if I could check my bag through to LHR on a connecting BA CW flight later on the day I landed and they said no as it wasn't on the same PNR.

Didn't argue and dropped a bag off at left luggage in HKG (with associated 10 mile walks to get there and back through security later).
I think it should have been checked through by CX. My memory is that initially it was only on to separate CX/KA flights but they have now allowed it for any partner.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...c-flights.html

As a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will also through-check your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our airline partners provided that your journey begins with Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
That's because CX is handled by BA at JFK !
CX will certainly allow a thru check onto BA at HKG.
CX is handled by AA at T8 JFK.

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is that correct? CX have moved across to T8 a few months ago so would CX be using BA agents?
​​​​​​​Correct ^
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
CX checked my bags at PVG through to QR at HKG, separate tickets no problem at all
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:18 pm

Does anybody have any experience of through-checking bags across 3 separate PNRs? (CX-BA-BA)
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by simons1
This is complete nonsense.

So is this.

If on separate tickets there no protection. It's as simple as that.
pretty much expected some "bold" comment, but usually from those without actual experience.
IF you have flown CX, and HAD separate tickets, and HAD misconnect; you will know once you allowed to check thru by CX, they pretty much protect your next flight, this is from actual experience. I even asked the ground staff, what if CX delayed, the GA's response is "since the first flight is on CX, if delay caused by CX (not weather), they will do their best to accommodate". Again, I DID mentioned this is NOT guarantee. NOT as simple as you thought until you actually experienced it.
Stop spread wrong info unless you are absolutely sure.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:59 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:23 pm

I am sure someone will come back and argue.

Before you do so, pls read this FIRST (save your embarrassment)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-pnrs-15.html

read post #211 (p.15) and onward..(search is your friend )
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:26 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
pretty much expected some "bold" comment, but usually from those without actual experience.
IF you have flown CX, and HAD separate tickets, and HAD misconnect; you will know once you allowed to check thru by CX, they pretty much protect your next flight, this is from actual experience. I even asked the ground staff, what if CX delayed, the GA's response is "since the first flight is on CX, if delay caused by CX (not weather), they will do their best to accommodate". Again, I DID mentioned this is NOT guarantee. NOT as simple as you thought until you actually experienced it.
In practice yes CX will likely help you out. But do note that they have started handing these caveats out at check-in. So they may be cracking down on their goodwill.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post28942534
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:52 am

But it is not wrong info. You are not protected on separate tickets.

Of course CX **may** try and help you. But there is no guarantee that BA will allow you to rearrange the second flight. Just because you struck it lucky does not mean it is in any way policy to do this.

If it was easy as you pretend then people would buy separate tickets all the time to save money, knowing that your booking would be protected.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by EI147
Does anybody have any experience of through-checking bags across 3 separate PNRs? (CX-BA-BA)
Yes: SQ-CX-BA-EI withCX-BA on one PNR
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Given the generally very good award availability on BKK-HKG would it be possible to pay the £35 change fee and get the ticket reissued?

(Not sure if this requires additional F availability or would change the avios cost due to implicaitng multiple airlines, but surely worth a try?)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It was not wrong info. Especially the correction of the incorrect assertion that there is a oneworld policy that provides for protection: there isn't one.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by simons1
But it is not wrong info. You are not protected on separate tickets.

Of course CX **may** try and help you. But there is no guarantee that BA will allow you to rearrange the second flight. Just because you struck it lucky does not mean it is in any way policy to do this.

If it was easy as you pretend then people would buy separate tickets all the time to save money, knowing that your booking would be protected.
ok. I will take it's not wrong info to a degree, however, accusing my statement is nonsense without actual knowledge is wrong to me.
AGAIN, while it's now probably an old policy (as sxc warned), they actually used to had a "TICK" on disruption, on separate tickets on "CX agent reference" (i am not spending time to dig it anymore), which is a CX internal guide. And in this particular case, OP is clearly referring to CX, not oneworld policy.
Also, when CX accommodate, there is NOTHING to do with BA. Furthermore, I actually warned this may not be possible, stop using 'big general statement" to derail my point. giving actually experience to help OP to have better understanding on the situation and ask for what's "possible" is my point. I am sure many of us had used separate tickets before, nightmare had happened, if we have better knowledge, it will helps on those frustration moment. Other than that, we are just trying to offer help, just don't be so aggressive.
Anyway, I will walk away from this thread and shut up for good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.