Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LHR-DOH-LHR daily cancellation since 13/11?

Old Nov 19, 17, 6:40 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

From what I can tell the last LHR-DOH-LHR rotation was operated on 13/11. Since then every flight has been cancelled. Anyone know the reason?
Old Nov 19, 17, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
If it has been cancelled, I'd imagine if it's because of a sharp decline in passengers and revenue since the local problems started. And after all, they have QR as partners to carry the BA code.

But, still، it would be a surprise.

QR hubs through DOH, but BA depends on point-to-point traffic and passengers hubbing through LHR to Doha.

I went twice in the last month: BA to Doha was very, VERY quiet, but mobbed coming back.
inasmuchas likes this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:33 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Silver
DOH was routinely cancelled during the Mixed Fleet strike, due to the readily available flights with partner (and investor) QR. This time maybe it's because of equipment availability, although that does seem strange during the winter season.
Old Nov 20, 17, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Various carriers incl BA and VS struggling with RR engine supply for 787. I think I saw VS using 747 to JFK as a result.
Old Nov 20, 17, 2:10 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, CX Diamond, EK Gold, G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
From what I can tell the last LHR-DOH-LHR rotation was operated on 13/11. Since then every flight has been cancelled. Anyone know the reason?
I can't find the original post on this from a couple of weeks ago, but the route restarts today I think.

There was some discussion around normalising crew hours, I don't know if that's correct or not. The BA122/123 rotation is currently pretty low yield in my experience, so it's probably the least worse option if something's got to give. I had the whole F cabin to myself on a recent segment a month or so ago.
Old Nov 20, 17, 3:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Howard Long View Post
I can't find the original post on this from a couple of weeks ago, but the route restarts today I think.

There was some discussion around normalising crew hours, I don't know if that's correct or not. The BA122/123 rotation is currently pretty low yield in my experience, so it's probably the least worse option if something's got to give. I had the whole F cabin to myself on a recent segment a month or so ago.
I can't find it either and I was the one who put it online!

Yes, it's for flights from 14 to 19 November going out from London on BA123, and returning flights DOH-LHR 15 to 20 November on BA122 inclusive. Rebooking onto QR, unfortunately WTP gets downgraded to economy and passengers are invited to claim downgrade refund. It's OK to go direct if that is now appropriate, so CDG-LHR-DOH can be rebooked to CDG-DOH on QR.

My suspicion is indeed they are trying to saving on cabin crew hours, if that is the case then there will typically be more low-level cancellations as crew hours creep up to the 900 hrs limit. However the official reason is "operational reasons", which is fairly close to meaningless.
Old Nov 20, 17, 3:45 am

Currently a shortage of 787/747 serviceability, so my guess is the DOH aircraft is being used elsewhere. It has been cancelled the last few days, but should be restarting soon as crews are positioning out to DOH to operate returns
Old Nov 20, 17, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC View Post
Currently a shortage of 787/747 serviceability, so my guess is the DOH aircraft is being used elsewhere. It has been cancelled the last few days, but should be restarting soon as crews are positioning out to DOH to operate returns
Lucky them, I hope they get the Q-Suites
Old Nov 20, 17, 7:09 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Thanks for the replies. Will be flying LHR-DOH in early December and wanted to see if there was a chance for me to be upgraded to QR
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
Thanks for the replies. Will be flying LHR-DOH in early December and wanted to see if there was a chance for me to be upgraded to QR
I got upgraded to QR during the strike and travel with them all the time now!
Old Nov 21, 17, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
BA123 is in the air on its way to Doha. Amusingly I heard an unusually noisy plane flying over the house, looked it up on FR24 and it was BA123 operated by a B772
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I have been cancelled on the BA 122 on the 3rd. I guess I'll post the questions in the EC261 thread!
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:02 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
British Airways have cancelled the LHR-DOH BA123 from 1-13 December and DOH-LHR BA122 from 2-14 December, with a re-protection agreement available on Qatar Airways (QR).
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can't find it either and I was the one who put it online!

Yes, it's for flights from 14 to 19 November going out from London on BA123, and returning flights DOH-LHR 15 to 20 November on BA122 inclusive. Rebooking onto QR, unfortunately WTP gets downgraded to economy and passengers are invited to claim downgrade refund. It's OK to go direct if that is now appropriate, so CDG-LHR-DOH can be rebooked to CDG-DOH on QR.

My suspicion is indeed they are trying to saving on cabin crew hours, if that is the case then there will typically be more low-level cancellations as crew hours creep up to the 900 hrs limit. However the official reason is "operational reasons", which is fairly close to meaningless.
900 hours of flying time a year? I am sure there are many here on FT who fly as passengers and exceed that easily, myself being on about 700 hours so far this year
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
British Airways have cancelled the LHR-DOH BA123 from 1-13 December and DOH-LHR BA122 from 2-14 December, with a re-protection agreement available on Qatar Airways (QR).
OK - I couldn't find this so thanks. Can I change the ticket onto a QR A380?

Search this Thread