Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA One-way cost. Finally booked my first DY longhaul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG

So I need to go to NY for a day in a fortnight. As it happens I had an unused flexible JFK-LGW leg in W so I rescheduled that for my return. However, I need a single flight to NYC on Monday 4th Dec in the morning. Nothing doing on BA: £1,500 in Y, £1,800 in W and the price for J is apparently to buy the aircraft?? Putting in a spurious return date gets me a Y ticket for £430. So in the end, I have plumped for the Norwegian LGW-JFK flight and rather than buy the £210 Y ticket have paid £550 for their premium product which as far as I can see, is more akin to Club World pre flat bed (who remembers the Club Cradle seat!) than W. So it got me wondering, how long term sustainable do we all think BA's policy of not selling pro rata priced one ways on N American routes is? They never did that in Europe until the low cost carriers forced them to. Is that day coming on flights across the pond?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Did you try pricing it as a return as a holiday booking. Prices would be significantly less especially as not including Saturday night stay.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
Did you try pricing it as a return as a holiday booking. Prices would be significantly less especially as not including Saturday night stay.
Yes. Cheapest I could get for a return with a night in a hotel was £2,300 in Y!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by brentford77
So it got me wondering, how long term sustainable do we all think BA's policy of not selling pro rata priced one ways on N American routes is? They never did that in Europe until the low cost carriers forced them to. Is that day coming on flights across the pond?
Depends on what you mean by "long term". If it's in the John Maynard Keynes sense, then I wouldn't like to bet on it being around until then. But I would be surprised if it went away any time soon. On short-haul, the low-fare airlines penetrated the market deeply and quickly. But despite RYR's repeated threats / promises, we haven't yet seen anything like that on long-haul; the ramp-up of airlines like DY has been rather more gradual.
lostinlondon likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
So I need to go to NY for a day in a fortnight. As it happens I had an unused flexible JFK-LGW leg in W so I rescheduled that for my return. However, I need a single flight to NYC on Monday 4th Dec in the morning. Nothing doing on BA: £1,500 in Y, £1,800 in W and the price for J is apparently to buy the aircraft?? Putting in a spurious return date gets me a Y ticket for £430. So in the end, I have plumped for the Norwegian LGW-JFK flight and rather than buy the £210 Y ticket have paid £550 for their premium product which as far as I can see, is more akin to Club World pre flat bed (who remembers the Club Cradle seat!) than W. So it got me wondering, how long term sustainable do we all think BA's policy of not selling pro rata priced one ways on N American routes is? They never did that in Europe until the low cost carriers forced them to. Is that day coming on flights across the pond?
I hope so, but that requires DY and potentially other low costs to take up a lot of market share from the majors to force them to charge low prices for one ways like it happens in Europe now.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So it got me wondering, how long term sustainable do we all think BA's policy of not selling pro rata priced one ways on N American routes is? They never did that in Europe until the low cost carriers forced them to. Is that day coming on flights across the pond?
I sometimes wonder that too, and I've watched the more direct competing routes (e.g. LGW-FLL/OAK) and despite everything they quote on return ticket basis on these routes despite the fact that they could as a one-off abandon this on these hermetically sealed off routes. What they do, however, is price the return flights very, very competitively against DY, knowing that most passengers are going to book that way either on DY or BA. For example booking via LGW using third country itineraries don't work on these routes (e.g. FCO-LGW-OAK), the pricing is end-on and not particularly interesting even after APD.

I've come to the conclusion that BA's fight against DY is actually all about protecting the existing return pricing structure: if they ended up with cheap single pricing then they have effectively lost the war. And with it, huge implications for BA, for whom UK-USA is their most important market by far.

The trick to single trips from USA to Europe is either to use Avios on IB or Aer Lingus (admittedly I would be doing this in business). Or indeed to book returns to certain places in Europe, ideally at the right time.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The trick to single trips from USA to Europe is either to use Avios on IB or Aer Lingus (admittedly I would be doing this in business). Or indeed to book returns to certain places in Europe, ideally at the right time.
You can also find occasional one-way BA flights for cash this way via codeshares through some travel agents.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed though crucially, depending on the scope of the announced dynamic pricing award evolution, whether that avios sweet spot will still be there ina year from now is anyone’s guess. If BAEC go as far into it as the new Flying Blue, that one way LHR-JFK May soon cost significantly more avios than buying it return!!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I hope everything goes OK. Norwegian have had some issues recently with their 787s, and have been cancelling or subbing A330s from a charter airline (some with 3x3x3 in Y!). See the Other European Airlines forum.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I hope everything goes OK. Norwegian have had some issues recently with their 787s, and have been cancelling or subbing A330s from a charter airline (some with 3x3x3 in Y!). See the Other European Airlines forum.
Can live with the risk. Have found myself on BA flights operated by QR and FR in recent years! Seriously though, I think they have had something like 1-2% of 787 flights replaced by the wet leased 330 and 340's. I can live with that level of risk for the saving involved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.