Slimline Recaro seats on BA

Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have seen it in Europe, as well as in Asia. More commonly on widebody (tall ceiling) aircraft, but sometimes on narrowbodies.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by email2markt
Any clue which of the Recaro seat models BA will choose?
The cheapest one!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Shorter people do so to reach the overheads. I really wish they wouldn't, but on Asian airlines you will see it a lot.
JAL has a sort of step under each of the aisle seats to enable the shorter cabin crew to close the lockers.

It's very cute.

I wonder if any senior staff at BA ever put the same degree of thought into any of their processes ...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by V10
It's already 29" on the A319 isn't it? God help anybody sat in those new seats if the pitch is reduced even further.

Is there a legal limit for seat pitch? I mean the lowest I have ever done is 30 inches and cannot see myself tolerating any less than that. Thank god 2 budget airlines I took recently, FR and PC both have 30 inch pitch!
I seriously would be uncomfortable on a band 4 with 28 inch pitch at 6ft 3 inches and really hope BA don't go for 28 inches form 30 now on the A320 band 4's.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Is there a legal limit for seat pitch? I mean the lowest I have ever done is 30 inches and cannot see myself tolerating any less than that. Thank god 2 budget airlines I took recently, FR and PC both have 30 inch pitch!
I seriously would be uncomfortable on a band 4 with 28 inch pitch at 6ft 3 inches and really hope BA don't go for 28 inches form 30 now on the A320 band 4's.
I think you may be out of luck soon.

LH though are doing good prices from IST now in J, so there are other options. Not that I find the LH seat great.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is there a legal limit for seat pitch?
Yes, based on the max capacity of the plane as set by the evacuation tests. Though I suppose the airline could do 10 rows at 24" and 10 at 40" to "solve" that issue.

Also keep in mind that 30" pitch means different things on different seats. The Acro ultra-slim seat on Hawaiian's 717s or Spirit gives the same amount of knee room at 29" as older designs do at 31". That's not to say it is necessarily as comfortable overall, but there is way more to seat comfort than just pitch.
Stez likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, based on the max capacity of the plane as set by the evacuation tests. Though I suppose the airline could do 10 rows at 24" and 10 at 40" to "solve" that issue.

Also keep in mind that 30" pitch means different things on different seats. The Acro ultra-slim seat on Hawaiian's 717s or Spirit gives the same amount of knee room at 29" as older designs do at 31". That's not to say it is necessarily as comfortable overall, but there is way more to seat comfort than just pitch.

I hope the FAA regulate a minimum seat pitch (I remember reading articles about this) and this happens in EU as well. Even with those slim seats, anything less than 30 inches is pushing things too far.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I hope the FAA regulate a minimum seat pitch (I remember reading articles about this) and this happens in EU as well. Even with those slim seats, anything less than 30 inches is pushing things too far.
I am sure that you won’t mind too much what BA do as you never seem to actually fly with BA although you always seem to be ready to criticise. Of course, if I am wrong, perhaps you could indicate which BA flights you have actually taken recently.

As has been stated, slimline seats do not necessarily mean less kneeroom. Of course this would go against what some would like to argue so will simply ignore the facts or the information that has been presented.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by TimmyD
Depressing BA going down the same road.
Don't worry, they are already well down the road on this. If anything, they have arrived and will now go further than some LCCs.

However, I'm more than sure all will still be rosy with the regulars
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by madfish
I am sure that you won’t mind too much what BA do as you never seem to actually fly with BA although you always seem to be ready to criticise. Of course, if I am wrong, perhaps you could indicate which BA flights you have actually taken recently.

As has been stated, slimline seats do not necessarily mean less kneeroom. Of course this would go against what some would like to argue so will simply ignore the facts or the information that has been presented.
I last flew BA in March on the A320 ( I fly them at least twice a year and most of the time more, usually around 6 times a year, but am less insistent on flying them after BOB) and the seat pitch was 30 inches, which I found adequate. If they shrink in size, I would feel very uncomfortable in their seats.
Aren't the current BA A320 seats 'skinny' enough anyway, especially compared to the old generation ones?

I really hope the government actually does its job and bans seat pitch below 30 inches. No point in blaming BA, they will reduce seat pitch as much as they can get away with. Let's also see what some of the competition does (FR,LX, LH etc. still at 30 inches).

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 19, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I really hope the government actually does its job and bans seat pitch below 30 inches.
By "ban", do you mean introduce a minimum measurement for the first time; or do you mean amend the current regulation specifying a minimum measurement?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
I do rather enjoy the free complementary massage to the bottom by the knees of the passenger sitting behind me every time I travel in the existing Club Europe slimline seats.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
By "ban", do you mean introduce a minimum measurement for the first time; or do you mean amend the current regulation specifying a minimum measurement?

Introduce a blanket ban for the first time not allowing any seat pitch on passenger airlines to be below 30 inches.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 19, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Introduce a blanket ban for the first time not allowing any seat pitch on passenger airlines to be below 30 inches.
Why do you think that the CAA might move from its current minimum measurement?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I last flew BA in March on the A320 ( I fly them at least twice a year and most of the time more, usually around 6 times a year, but am less insistent on flying them after BOB) and the seat pitch was 30 inches, which I found adequate. If they shrink in size, I would feel very uncomfortable in their seats.
Aren't the current BA A320 seats 'skinny' enough anyway, especially compared to the old generation ones?

I really hope the government actually does its job and bans seat pitch below 30 inches. No point in blaming BA, they will reduce seat pitch as much as they can get away with. Let's also see what some of the competition does (FR,LX, LH etc. still at 30 inches).
With the amount of time you spend on the BA board and with so little flights people will start to refer to you as Hiddy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.