Slimline Recaro seats on BA

Old Nov 19, 17, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Gasp... On some routes (not least NCE), CE sometimes go beyond row 12 despite popular assumption, so I wonder if it means one will now sometimes have CE with no recline!
Isn't that where the brilliance of BA lies? A couple of years ago there was a major CE refit that absolutely outraged people on here and now the general consensus is that CE is still great and the days of 34 inches are forgotten - surely any new degradation of the service with be accepted within months and any new issues with the service will be met with the same vigorous defence of the product. People are currently paying huge premiums for what many would laugh at and they'll continue to - even without a recline I expect.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
I thought there was a plan to standardise seating across IAGs A320 fleet? I’m assuming this, if correct, means that plan is abandoned...

This will also lead to the creation of an unofficial premium economy, of seats behind Club that are nicer than those further back. Much seat map watching and roulette to follow!
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by memesweeper View Post
I thought there was a plan to standardise seating across IAGs A320 fleet? I’m assuming this, if correct, means that plan is abandoned...
Well assuming these Recaro seats are the ones the other IAG airlines will also be using in future, it's a big step towards standardization, just with a concession that those seats aren't quite good enough for CE... yet.

This will also lead to the creation of an unofficial premium economy, of seats behind Club that are nicer than those further back. Much seat map watching and roulette to follow!
Yup!
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Agree with those saying the EasyJet seats are awful. But they're an LCC. Depressing BA going down the same road.
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by frenzie01 View Post
You will have no alternative and therefore you will continue to pay £600+ for peak ET returns and “enjoy” the new seats.
Where will you be flying to that you had no alternative?
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass View Post
I think the new slim easyJet seats are extremely comfortable and spacious for 28 inch pitch - well done BA

This is as good as it's gets now at the cost we all want to pay so suck it up
I think simply BA/IAG just wants to make even more profit. I see parallels between the permanent austerity we seem to have in the UK and airlines' cost saving. IAG's soaring profits can't be ignored, especially if the trend continues.

Hypothetically if every customer agreed to pay double or triple the advertised price for 2 years, I wonder if would we see an announcement of a reversal of the significant cuts?
Old Nov 19, 17, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Is there a source for this?
florens and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by switch007 View Post
I think simply BA/IAG just wants to make even more profit. I see parallels between the permanent austerity we seem to have in the UK and airlines' cost saving. IAG's soaring profits can't be ignored, especially if the trend continues.
Have you just been watching John McDonnell on the Andrew Marr Show by any chance?

I don't think it really helps to draw parallels with government policy to be honest. There are already plenty of misleading analogies on this forum which we can draw from in our armchair analysis of BA's strategy...
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:56 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Have you just been watching John McDonnell on the Andrew Marr Show by any chance?
I was a bit confused, and then realized you weren't talking about this John McDonnell.
Old Nov 19, 17, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by greg5 View Post
I was a bit confused, and then realized you weren't talking about this John McDonnell.
Ha, perhaps I misread the tone of switch007's post... I must've been influenced by the tone of (the other) Jonn McDonnell!
Old Nov 19, 17, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If these will be exactly the same seats that Easyjet uses then they aren't very durable: the seat pan under the cushion is made of some lightweight mesh structure that can be deformed by someone standing on it (I've seen one deformed like that on an EZ aircraft, the metal structure was bent downwards in the center and the seat was unusable afterwards). So you all better hope noone stands on your aisle seat near the back and bends it.

If it's a more durable seat, that's better, even if life in the back of BA will now be even worse on a longer flight.
Padmeister likes this.
Old Nov 19, 17, 6:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
If these will be exactly the same seats that Easyjet uses then they aren't very durable: the seat pan under the cushion is made of some lightweight mesh structure that can be deformed by someone standing on it (I've seen one deformed like that on an EZ aircraft, the metal structure was bent downwards in the center and the seat was unusable afterwards). So you all better hope noone stands on your aisle seat near the back and bends it.

If it's a more durable seat, that's better, even if life in the back of BA will now be even worse on a longer flight.
I am not sure why anyone would stand on a seat tbh.
Old Nov 19, 17, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by florens View Post
I am not sure why anyone would stand on a seat tbh.
Shorter people do so to reach the overheads. I really wish they wouldn't, but on Asian airlines you will see it a lot.
Old Nov 19, 17, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Shorter people do so to reach the overheads. I really wish they wouldn't, but on Asian airlines you will see it a lot.
Ok. I have never seen it. Well I'd rather ask someone for help than stand on seats.
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze
Any clue which of the Recaro seat models BA will choose?

Looking at the website, the bog standard is the SL3510. But my perception is that BA have always had a good solid economy product, BL3530 looks like a much better choice. All those customers who would then have somewhere to actually put their iPad!

https://en.recaro-as.com/aircraft-se...ss/bl3530.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: