FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A very warm welcome back to Club Europe!!! And good bye President... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878177-very-warm-welcome-back-club-europe-good-bye-president.html)

LTN Phobia Nov 18, 2017 5:41 am

A very warm welcome back to Club Europe!!! And good bye President...

And you might be wondering what I am welcoming back and saying good bye to?

A very warm welcome back to salted butter. Anchor to be specific, if you are wondering if they simply went for President Demi-sel. But in fact it's good bye to President. I am certainly not shedding any tears over that. Nothing against the French butter but it wasn't salted, and Demi-sel isn't really salted enough for my liking.

The Anchor that was on my tray looked like the Wiltshire version of Anchor rather than the New Zealand version (I don't have anything against the NZ version, I often choose to have NZ butter when I am in Australia), although I could not see any indication of its 'origin', but it certainly was proper, salted butter! That's all that matters... ;)

I even have a photo to prove it if you don't believe it.

Also, what happened to the grey mystery stuff that used to be part of the English breakfast?! Well good bye to that as well. Got very nice, fluffy scrambled eggs. How did they manage to do that when they don't do it from scratch on board!? It's a mystery but it really was the best scrambled eggs I have had on board so far. I told the purser and she said they were getting a lot of complimentary comments about the new scrambled eggs.

I thought about adding this to the CE catering thread but decided that salted butter issue is serious enough to warrant its own thread given the feedback it had here (and heard on board). The scrambled eggs are just an aside (although rather welcome, of course).

I do hope this is a permanent change. :D If this thread gets busy enough, BA might just take notice and make sure it's permanent (one could live in hope).

Prospero Nov 18, 2017 8:27 am

This is great news. I had Lurpak in my fridge for over twenty years (not the same tub, mind). I tried Anchor about 18 months ago and haven't looked back.

smokie36 Nov 18, 2017 8:40 am

The scrambled egg is just as important in this thrread so let's have a pic please.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 18, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 29074026)
The Anchor that was on my tray looked like the Wiltshire version of Anchor rather than the New Zealand version (I don't have anything against the NZ version, I often choose to have NZ butter when I am in Australia), although I could not see any indication of its 'origin', but it certainly was proper, salted butter! That's all that matters... ;)

I even have a photo to prove it if you don't believe it.

Yes, there's actually a post about this, albeit a bit subtle, here. And here is the photo of the Anchor butter in situ.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...924/Ag0IIx.jpg

Anchor butter in the UK is made by Arla, the Danish co-op, but made with UK cows. These cows even have a GB (but not UK) passport! The Arla subsidiary for Anchor butter is part owned by UK farmers. That said there is still Président butter going around, presumably old stock. There's actually more salt in the Président butter than in Anchor, nearly twice as much despite the demi-sel label, but I guess different people taste different things. Salted butter in France can be very salty and consequently the labelling is somewhat different to the UK.

LTN Phobia Nov 18, 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by smokie36 (Post 29074367)
The scrambled egg is just as important in this thrread so let's have a pic please.

Sorry, no photo of the scrambled eggs. It looked too good to wait while I took a photo.

But honestly, it's actually was really lovely. It caught me completely by surprise because I wasn't expecting it to be any good at all. I dare say it was the best scrambled eggs I have ever had on a flight, including those made fresh on board. How they did this is beyond me (the purser said it's not made on board but she felt cooking it in a porcelain dish and being careful not to overcook it seems to help).

Anchor butter photo is that of the wrapper - empty :D

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29074371)
There's actually more salt in the Président butter than in Anchor, nearly twice as much despite the demi-sel label

That is incredibly curious and interesting to hear. I taste a lot more salt in normal, English salted butter than in demi-sel of President (which I often have in mainland Europe because that's all I can get with salt - I use unsalted if I am cooking but prefer salted for bread and steak). Must be some interesting differences between the two that mask the taste of the sale in President. Or just different flavours.

I wonder how much feedback BA had about the unsalted butter?

Lefly Nov 18, 2017 9:04 am

Now I am curious to try both, Anchor and the "new" English breakfast (that I liked even before this change) :)
I hope they will last until February...

I also wonder if they will provide salted butter also on LH flights.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 18, 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 29074374)
That is incredibly curious and interesting to hear. I taste a lot more salt in normal, English salted butter than in demi-sel of President (which I often have in mainland Europe because that's all I can get with salt - I use unsalted if I am cooking but prefer salted for bread and steak). Must be some interesting differences between the two that mask the taste of the sale in President. Or just different flavours.

Anchor UK is 0.68% salt, Président demi-sel is 1.29% salt. That's a laboratory figure, there is some natural salt in cows' milk anyway, the amount varies by breed, pasture and time of the year. Now very few people can taste the salt in a glass of milk, but it explains how even unsalted butter can still have salt in it, and why perceptions about salt in butter can vary from person to person.

Noirmoutier butter from Vendée comes in at 3.11% salt.

'andad Nov 18, 2017 10:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29074420)
Anchor UK is 0.68% salt, Président demi-sel is 1.29% salt. That's a laboratory figure, there is some natural salt in cows' milk anyway, the amount varies by breed, pasture and time of the year. Now very few people can taste the salt in a glass of milk, but it explains how even unsalted butter can still have salt in it, and why perceptions about salt in butter can vary from person to person.

Noirmoutier butter from Vendée comes in at 3.11% salt.

Strewth, you really are worth your salt CWS.

FlightDetective Nov 18, 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 29074026)
Also, what happened to the grey mystery stuff that used to be part of the English breakfast?! Well good bye to that as well. Got very nice, fluffy scrambled eggs. How did they manage to do that when they don't do it from scratch on board!? It's a mystery but it really was the best scrambled eggs I have had on board so far. I told the purser and she said they were getting a lot of complimentary comments about the new scrambled eggs.

Proper scrambled eggs, you say?

I've hated that mystery gloop excuse for scrambled eggs on BA forever. Can't wait to try a breakfast flight now if the eggs are really as good as you say!

T8191 Nov 18, 2017 11:17 am

Soory, but there's only one butter worth using ...

http://www.jerseydairy.com/products/...salted-butter/

2% salt ... no wonder we like it :)

GlasgowCyclops Nov 18, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't care. I always put my own salt on Butter. People look at me as if I'm weird. :-)

T8191 Nov 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops (Post 29074957)
I don't care. I always put my own salt on Butter. People look at me as if I'm weird. :-)

No, that's perfectly reasonable. I usually salt my bread/roll before applying butter ... it seems tidier that way.

PUCCI GALORE Nov 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 29074374)
Sorry, no photo of the scrambled eggs. It looked too good to wait while I took a photo.

But honestly, it's actually was really lovely. It caught me completely by surprise because I wasn't expecting it to be any good at all. I dare say it was the best scrambled eggs I have ever had on a flight, including those made fresh on board. How they did this is beyond me (the purser said it's not made on board but she felt cooking it in a porcelain dish and being careful not to overcook it seems to help).

Anchor butter photo is that of the wrapper - empty :D

I wonder how much feedback BA had about the unsalted butter?

Now that is interesting. Whenever I am making Deserts - Soufflés come to mind - I always use salted butter. A Patissier in France told me years ago that salt brings out the sweetness. The only problem with cooking with it if frying, is that it burns more easily.

LTN Phobia Nov 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 29074977)
Now that is interesting. Whenever I am making Deserts - Soufflés come to mind - I always use salted butter. A Patissier in France told me years ago that salt brings out the sweetness. The only problem with cooking with it if frying, is that it burns more easily.

I add salt separately. I don't like the unpredictability of saltiness when using salted butter for cooking, unless I know the butter well, which isn't always the case. It's harder to unsalt things when you've ended up over-salting them.

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops (Post 29074957)

I think that's pretty reasonable personally. The only thing is I prefer using salt from a salt mill or salt flakes for that, for whatever reason (probably nothing beyond some psychology but I really don't like the normal salt much).

T8191 Nov 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 29074998)
I add salt separately. I don't like the unpredictability of saltiness when using salted butter for cooking, unless I know the butter well, which isn't always the case. It's harder to unsalt things when you've ended up over-salting them.
I think that's pretty reasonable personally. The only thing is I prefer using salt from a salt mill or salt flakes for that, for whatever reason (probably nothing beyond some psychology but I really don't like the normal salt much).

That's why we travel with our own Salt and Pepper Mills, 'cos we're too poor/common to fly First ;)

Of course, PUCCI, a drop or two of oil will stop the butter burning too easily, or just turn the wick down a bit ;).