Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards

We've got one of these coming up in just over a week. J seating is looking 75% full already, but the F seats are still blocked on expertflyer.
Does anyone know when the front cabin opens up (if it does) - is it when FLY takes over at T-72 or as soon as reserved seats run out ?

From certain knowledge I can predict that on this particular flight the premium load (W, J) will be extremely high.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Reputedly depends on your CIV. We have had 4 "FLUB" sectors to/from the Caribbean, and got left in CW every time whilst others moved forward.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We got moved around T24 on the way to mco last month but couldn't then select the seats in the F cabin
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's usually in the 12 to 24 hour range. On some occasions you can select direct into First, if you haven't printed your boarding pass, sometimes people will be moved there by ground agents and there won't be anything you can do about it. It typically won't be before then unless there are equipment changes or other factors that mean it will be opened sooner due to CW loads. If I suspected this was going to happen I'd check in at the earliest point but perhaps defer boarding pass downloading.

First only opens up if it's the only way to get all CW passengers seated. It takes up too many crew members for it to be done "just because we can". Furthermore there is always a good chance of an equipment change, LGW has very little spare aircraft capacity and LHR isn't overly blessed either.
firstlight, SxMan and rt23456p like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Points taken, c-w-s, but I would note [on our last airframe shuffle to ANU) ...

... On arriving at the Gate, I asked the Ground Agent if the First cabin was actually being used today … he replied “No”. OK, good job we didn’t try to use it, then.

Eventually the ‘priority boarders’ were called, and we established Base Camp in 11J/K. Looking around, the CW cabin seemed rather empty, and a quick look down the aisle proved that the Ground Agent had lied … there were pax in the F cabin. Now I fully accept that seating is a complex and often emotive topic here, but what really gets me going is being lied to. Unless the Gate Agent was ignorant about what was happening with the aircraft he was boarding, which is equally unforgivable. [/rant]
I fully understand, from bitter experience, the lottery of the LGW 777 fleet. But it's still difficult to know how to play the cards. Not printing BPs until the last minute makes sense - perhaps that's where I go wrong, wanting everything tied up neatly before travelling? But then ... Select J seats and wait to see what happens? Grab F seats if they show on MMB, and risk being dumped back into random seats in J if BA changes its mind?

We're on a 3-class 777 ex-LGW next month. You will appreciate my personal interest, having dipped out on both ANU and CPT in the last 12 months thanks to late substitutions!
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Reputedly depends on your CIV. We have had 4 "FLUB" sectors to/from the Caribbean, and got left in CW every time whilst others moved forward.
Thanks, I've never been brave enough to do an DYKWIA and ask for my CIV :-)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's usually in the 12 to 24 hour range. On some occasions you can select direct into First, if you haven't printed your boarding pass, sometimes people will be moved there by ground agents and there won't be anything you can do about it. It typically won't be before then unless there are equipment changes or other factors that mean it will be opened sooner due to CW loads. If I suspected this was going to happen I'd check in at the earliest point but perhaps defer boarding pass downloading.

First only opens up if it's the only way to get all CW passengers seated. It takes up too many crew members for it to be done "just because we can". Furthermore there is always a good chance of an equipment change, LGW has very little spare aircraft capacity and LHR isn't overly blessed either.
Thanks, good advice to check in early but wait to print BP. I believe there will op ups from WT+ into J and J. They may have to weight the back of the plane as all the load will be at the front...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JERmlb
We got moved around T24 on the way to mco last month but couldn't then select the seats in the F cabin
Were you allocated to different CW seats or placed in 'bad' seats in F?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have been shifted to 'bad' seats in J, but managed to re-allocate at OLCI. On another occasion (ANU) we were able to shift, after departure, to better seats as the occupants had moved to F

It's the curse of the LGW 777, I regret. Three airframe options, and with no certainty [in our experience] of getting the airframe you thought you were getting. Constant checking prior to departure is, irritatingly, essential.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold, BA Gold
WOW..... taking my first ever LGW 777 flight next year. I had no idea that even if you had a seat in F, you were served as J....... SHOCKING..... but with Cruz in control is there any wonder. I have never heard of this FLUB before, but I guess as it is just mainly leisure routes why bother with anything preimum.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
We have been shifted to 'bad' seats in J, but managed to re-allocate at OLCI. On another occasion (ANU) we were able to shift, after departure, to better seats as the occupants had moved to F

It's the curse of the LGW 777, I regret. Three airframe options, and with no certainty [in our experience] of getting the airframe you thought you were getting. Constant checking prior to departure is, irritatingly, essential.
Very annoying! I had a somewhat less irritating situation with the LGW fleet. I booked 4K, the last row of the front CW cabin on the 40J LGW 777s. Then, a few weeks before departure I noticed the aircraft had been substituted for a 48J bird, meaning 4K was no longer the last row as there was an extra row behind it (meaning no direct aisle access any more for my seat). However, what to do? If I changed my seat to 5K there was a risk the aircraft would change again back to a 40J and I would lose my window seat completely. So I stayed put, waited to see if the aircraft would change back to a 40J version, it didn't, and I ended up with a good seat, but not the great seat it was! Oh well, first world problems...
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jimmyw9
WOW..... taking my first ever LGW 777 flight next year. I had no idea that even if you had a seat in F, you were served as J....... SHOCKING..... but with Cruz in control is there any wonder. I have never heard of this FLUB before, but I guess as it is just mainly leisure routes why bother with anything preimum.
'Flub' only happens where a 4 class aircraft is used on a route where First is not sold. If First is sold, the First cabin is used with full First service.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight
Were you allocated to different CW seats or placed in 'bad' seats in F?
We got moved to the front 2 pairs in F. Just couldn't then select different seats if we had wanted to. MMB showed us in rows 1 and 2 but the seat plan still had us in our original CW seats.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:36 pm

I fear you may have misunderstood the OP? We are talking about CW passengers using an empty F cabin.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:16 am

Are you trolling? This has nothing to do with Cruz, has been the case for years, and is not SHOCKING. These are flights where First is not marketed for the flight, but for operational reasons an aircraft with an F cabin is swapped into the rotation. In that instance the onboard service remains the same, but some CW pax may get lucky and get an F seat. I don't think there's any reason to complain about that setup... save for the uncertainty among informed FTers about whether or not they'll be able to nab that prized F seat, as per the OP's query above.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.