Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:49 pm

I have read posts on this thread but it's a little confusing.

My scenario is that I'm flying LHR MAD and I'll be gold status a couple months prior.

What do I need to do to try to move to the F cabin, if it actually becomes available?

Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by northeastflyer

My scenario is that I'm flying LHR MAD and I'll be gold status a couple months prior.

What do I need to do to try to move to the F cabin, if it actually becomes available?

Thanks.
FLUB is now under airport control only so I am afraid there is nothing you can do until check in. At that stage it may be try and move when checking in or ask at check in.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by northeastflyer

Thanks.
Theres nothing you can do to influence it.
If you've paid for a Club ticket, a Club service you will receive. In the event the passenger load on the day you fly dictates the F cabin is in use to extend the Club configuration further and BA deem you eligible for moving forward then BA will manage the seat change on your behalf. You can't influence this further such as by asking, calling, emailing or tweeting. It'll either happen or it won't but rest assured you'll get the service for which you paid for.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 30, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:00 pm

Thanks. Makes it all much simpler in that case.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:20 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Theres nothing you can do to influence it.
If you've paid for a Club ticket, a Club service you will receive. In the event the passenger load on the day you fly dictates the F cabin is in use to extend the Club configuration further and BA deem you eligible for moving forward then BA will manage the seat change on your behalf. You can't influence this further such as by asking, calling, emailing or tweeting. It'll either happen or it won't but rest assured you'll get the service for which you paid for.
Yes it’s all a bit of a lottery (except for perhaps GGL, as they sometimes put people up there by CIV). At other times they use it for upgrades from Y, or for those who haven’t got a seat allocation before checkin. I’ve come to realise that for a flight of 1 hr 50 min, the Club service in row 1 or 2 on the shorthaul Airbus is superior to the 777 (Flub or no Flub)
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
Yes it’s all a bit of a lottery (except for perhaps GGL, as they sometimes put people up there by CIV). At other times they use it for upgrades from Y, or for those who haven’t got a seat allocation before checkin. I’ve come to realise that for a flight of 1 hr 50 min, the Club service in row 1 or 2 on the shorthaul Airbus is superior to the 777 (Flub or no Flub)
And even then it'll generally only be known to BA once OLCI has opened that the F cabin will be needed. I've had upgrades to/from MAD from Y to C and then been reassigned into the F cabin at the gate in the past and I've had flights where I've been on a C ticket and remained in C where F has been blocked out of use and flights where others have been reassigned there but not me. Theres just no telling how it will play out so it's generally better on mind and body not to over think it and let the upgrade gods do their thing. Thats generally the best way in my experience to enjoy the flight regardless to where I'm sat. And yes I agree, a Eurofleet crew on a Eurobus tends to make for a better in-flight service experience to me than a MF crew who aren't quite sure of what they're doing and try to adopt service standards that aren't part of a CE service. It can be a hit and miss experience for this reason... but the flat bed is definitely appreciated and now the IFE too now that BA has sorted the licensing out.

The only consistent use of Flub I've encountered regardless of loads has been ex LGW to/from Caribbean destinations where Golds tend to get moved up in the days/hours leading up to OLCI opening.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 30, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 1:38 am

Thanks for the info. For me it's mainly about that guaranteed bit of extra legroom and general comfort, so any change from J to F is just a bonus. No big deal. In terms of service, I'm happy to take the risk as I tend to enjoy the 'refreshments' in Galleries beforehand.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone have any data / experience of FLUB when travelling with young children?

Booked on a classic 4-class airframe FLUB route to Caribbean. Flight is showing zeroed out in all fare classes on EF, and the Club seat map is also fully locked out (other than the F cabin showing as ‘blocked’). So this seems quite a likely flight for a FLUB cabin to operate.

I am Gold (and Mrs R is Silver) so, if BA do normally move Golds up to FLUB first I would say we had a decent chance. But we are travelling with one lap infant and, even more tricky, one 2 year old in their own seat. Now that works just fine in Club (middle two seats so one of us is right next to the 2 year old) but could be “interesting” in the First cabin for take-off / landing (she’s well behaved but I’m not sure I’d guarantee sitting still alone in a seat for 20-30 minutes as required).

Do BA take this into account for FLUB? Would seem to me they would be less likely to move up families with young children? Especially as technically the lap infant will be allocated to the Club World bassinet seat - even though she will be too mobile for it in real life and will just share the toddler’s seat with her in flight.

any experience either way?

seems a shame to miss out on FLUB when I’d say we otherwise have a strong chance at it, but equally I’m not too fussed since in real life the kids may be easier to manage in the Club seating configuration
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
It doesn’t seem to be done on status, ratypus. I am aware of a pair of GCH (in their own right) not scoring the flub cabin on a Gatwick-Caribbean sector... it was reported used by an eclectic bunch....
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

@ratypus - No experience sorry but with a child and an infant and from the long time this thread and others have been going I'd think BA will not move you.

If it does happen it's more likely to be single travellers or couples is my hunch and from anecdotal evidence on here.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:22 pm
Jed

Originally Posted by ratypus
Anyone have any data / experience of FLUB when travelling with young children?

Booked on a classic 4-class airframe FLUB route to Caribbean. Flight is showing zeroed out in all fare classes on EF, and the Club seat map is also fully locked out (other than the F cabin showing as ‘blocked’). So this seems quite a likely flight for a FLUB cabin to operate.

I am Gold (and Mrs R is Silver) so, if BA do normally move Golds up to FLUB first I would say we had a decent chance. But we are travelling with one lap infant and, even more tricky, one 2 year old in their own seat. Now that works just fine in Club (middle two seats so one of us is right next to the 2 year old) but could be “interesting” in the First cabin for take-off / landing (she’s well behaved but I’m not sure I’d guarantee sitting still alone in a seat for 20-30 minutes as required).

Do BA take this into account for FLUB? Would seem to me they would be less likely to move up families with young children? Especially as technically the lap infant will be allocated to the Club World bassinet seat - even though she will be too mobile for it in real life and will just share the toddler’s seat with her in flight.

any experience either way?

seems a shame to miss out on FLUB when I’d say we otherwise have a strong chance at it, but equally I’m not too fussed since in real life the kids may be easier to manage in the Club seating configuration
I think the lap infant in the booking will scupper any chances of a seat move up to Flub. When my youngest was under 2, we never got moved up (or down) despite myself, wife and older son being gold tier.

It seems children over 2 are fine for Flub though- we travelled in Flub to Madrid earlier this summer (children aged 3 and 6) and although the computer didn’t move us, we were able to move on board. There was at least one (or possibly two) other children in the cabin.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:30 pm

Ok thanks - I did think the lap infant might mean we stay put - ironic, really: because it would be fine to FLUB with her in tow (the bassinet is pretty useless at 15 months...), whereas it’s the 2 year old I think would be a problem up in F without one of us sitting within arm’s reach

all good - will be quite happy to stay where we are to be honest - the “middle two” Club seats are the perfect den to keep the kids in for the flight!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:18 am

So an update on my data point...48 hours out and ExpertFlyer is now showing the F cabin as open, with most seats booked. Our original seats in Club (including the bassinet) have not changed, and I am not able to even see the F cabin for selection on MMB. Which tends to bear out the theory that a booking including infants will not get ‘automatically’ FLUB-bed.

It’s possible there are simply 10+ other passengers with higher status than me (Gold isn’t exactly sky-high in the real world) through somehow on a heavy leisure route I doubt it?

Interestingly, but EF is showing still three seats in the F cabin as “blocked”; wondering whether it’s just possible those are bing held back to see at check-in whether we can move up with the baby? Who knows.

Not really fussed either way, but interesting to see how it’s playing out on this one. Does seem to support the theory that a booking with infants won’t get moved cabins.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:05 pm
Jed

ratypus, your current situation matches my experience when our youngest was under 2- the system seems to lock in their seat nearer departure and won’t let them move.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:08 pm

The irony really as it would be no problem to move to the F cabin with the younger one - too big for the bassinet anyway and will just be on lap / sharing a seat with the toddler.

It's the toddler (over 2) would be the issue in the F cabin as hard to keep her strapped in for those phases of flight if not sitting right next to her!

Interesting to see it play out. I'm actually happier we are kept in the current "middle two" Club set-up - especially as EF is showing the fourth seat in the middle row blocked out currently

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.