Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Just to feedback my FLUB experience for some data points. I successfully got FLUB’ed on yesterday’s 777 rotation from Madrid (461) it was my first time sitting in F seat and it has made my partner very annoyed as we booked our ‘first first’ for July this year together (SJC outbound and JFK inbound) and I’ve taken 14 photos so I can send one a day for next two weeks so he does not forget this 😂

anyways the data points:

at the time of booking the ticket F cabin showed on expert flyer and blocked and not visible on BA.

at T72 F seats became available to select and I selected 2a. (Was the weird 2 rows of 8 forward facing only seats).

at online check in I got pushed back to 11a i checked expert flyer and all seats in F showed as blocked again.

checked expert flyer when I arrived in Madrid in the Iberia lounge (was on a connection) and still showed F as blocked. (This was around 1pm)

checked once more at around 3/4 pm (461 departs madrid at 5:50pm) and six seats in F showed as free on expert flyer so I phoned BA exec club and asked to be moved. The guy was confused as he said he could see I was allocated 2a but had boarding pass for 11a so he put me on hold and then few minutes later he came back and said he had put me in 3a (when phoning I had asked for 3a as 2a was blocked still but he actually offered me a choice of either). After ending call I refreshed BA app and 3a showed immediately and it let me download a new boarding pass. There was 5 other people in F with me so basically all unblocked seats got allocated,

it it was a very comfy two hours 🥳✈️
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:05 am

What does FLUB actually stand for?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:09 am

I don't think it's an acronym although I'm hopeful that some bright sparks will reverse engineer something now. I think it's a mashup of FIRST and CLUB.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Definitas
What does FLUB actually stand for?
First sold as cLUB.

FT acronym.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Also sometimes known as Flub Europe in the case of the MAD 777.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:47 am

I'm travelling on the BA460 from LHR to MAD on Sunday, and ExpertFlyer has told me that the F cabin is open, but all seats are showing as unavailable. MMB doesn't show the seats at all and lots of unoccupied seats in J.

Is it worth a call to the Gold line to see if they can assign a seat? Probably the only time I'll ever got close to F!

Last edited by mrkflyer; Jan 24, 2019 at 8:48 am Reason: Clarified MMB seating
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I am FLUBing it on LGW-TPA tonight. Had noticed cabin was quite full a few days ago (only 2 seats open for election) so wasn’t that surprised to see a change on app yesterday. Hadn’t fully registered that there wasn’t F class until I boarded.

- couldn’t see F seat map on app even after I was moved into cabin
- no mention at check-in (if you didn’t fly BA would you think this was Club World?)
- bedding on seat, club world menu out (is this proactive to avoid people thinking they’ll get F service?)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Four class 777 on a three class routel

Four lucky buggers got a nice surprise yesterday @ JFK when they found themselves the ONLY fliers in First Class on BA2272. Apparently BA had a “spare” which looked like it had been recently refurbished and have been moving up J class passengers. Since this is normally a 3 class plane there was nobody else actually booked in first class. It can’t last I suppose but it was a great opportunity to check out the latest first class seats. Everything felt terrific EXCEPT, if you are a side sleeper, don’t book the window seats as the suite is narrower than in the middle of the aircraft
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by leftcoasttrav
Four lucky buggers got a nice surprise yesterday @ JFK when they found themselves the ONLY fliers in First Class on BA2272. Apparently BA had a “spare” which looked like it had been recently refurbished and have been moving up J class passengers. Since this is normally a 3 class plane there was nobody else actually booked in first class. It can’t last I suppose but it was a great opportunity to check out the latest first class seats. Everything felt terrific EXCEPT, if you are a side sleeper, don’t book the window seats as the suite is narrower than in the middle of the aircraft
Also known as FLUB on here
Happens quite a lot at Gatwick
Each to their own, I still prefer a side suite when it happens but beggers can't be choosers and I'll gladly take a FLUB over a Club any day
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:30 pm

Thanks for the education. Never knew it was a “thing” before. I’ll have to pay more attention in future !
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:53 am

Yes you should stop having a life and read FT instead! 😉
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:37 am

Advice on flub

I only pop on here a few times a year as our holidays comes around, as we do a couple of long hauls and city breaks we are now (drum roll) bronze!!!
So waited for 7 days before and chose our seats to Antigua in CW free of charge, looked at seat plan today And the first class has been opened up (flub ?).
I tried to move seats up to the front and although it lets me do it and accept the new seats after logging on to change, it leaves us without any seats, so not being a expert, I've just left us as we were. Is this a web glitch or not letting us move for a reason, should I try again or maybe 24 hours before ?
Even as only on here a few times a year I have learnt so much and would not even know about bronze or flub if not from this forum
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Carribben Flub is always a lottery, sadly, and even ba.com struggles to understand it.

We’ve encountered a few Flub flights on those routes, but never lucked-in. Nowadays we accept that we have decent Club seats (I hope you have?) and stop thinking about it. If, on the day, BA chooses to ping us at the Gate (I wish!) I take it as a bonus.

The risk of moving to Flub on the ANU route is, of course, that BA will find a 3-class before you travel, and then assign you a seat at random in Club which may not be your preference.

Enjoy Antigua ... we did! And I referenced the Flub issue in my ANU17 trip report in my signature below!

Last edited by T8191; Apr 28, 2019 at 6:29 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:04 am

Anyone with experience of FLUB would be appreciated here: flying on the 18th YYZ-LHR BA98 and it’s been swapped to a 789 from 788. Availability as follows:

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
BA 98
YYZ 18/07/19 21:55
LHR 19/07/19 10:00
789 Daily
73% / 26m
J8 C5 D2 R0 I0 W4 E0 T0 Y5 B3 H2 K2 M2 L1 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G1
I have been able to a middle pair in row 1 for me and my wife and moved us from 7J/K. Anyone care to guess the likelihood of us keeping 1E/F? Would like to avoid not sitting next to each other, we are both silver if that makes any difference. Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So just booked BA461 MAD/LHR on the 18th Aug - in two weeks and got automatically assigned 1K. Funny thing is that I can't change my seat as I don't see row 1 in the seat map. (not that I want to change my seat). This is what expert flyer shows today, I guess all the ones in FLUB are Gold/GGLs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.