Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Old May 5, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just to add to some of the posts here that say you shouldn't download your boarding pass, when I was FLUBed last month I had already checked in and had my boarding pass in my Apple Wallet. It changed to 2F automatically without notification about 3.5 hours before the flight when I was in the taxi on my way to HND.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by flarmip
. That doesn't mean I won't complain when they do something wrong, and particularly so if they have slighted me.
​​​​​​
They haven't done anything wrong. You original seat became free when you moved to FLUB and somebody else either manually took it or were assigned it. Would you expect them to kick out the new occupier?

FLUB dind't work out that is all, you take your chances...
Old May 5, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CT-UK
They haven't done anything wrong. You original seat became free when you moved to FLUB and somebody else either manually took it or were assigned it. Would you expect them to kick out the new occupier?

FLUB dind't work out that is all, you take your chances...
I never "moved" to FLUB. I selected the FLUB seat when booking, as I booked at circa T-36.

I would expect BA not to let me book a seat that they change their mind about honouring a mere 30 hours later. If they are minded to change people's seats, they should keep alternative seats blocked to ensure that seating preferences can still be met where possible.

In the event, I did submit a complaint and received a response in fairly short order offering 20k Avios for being moved, alongside some other service failings onboard the flight (that again, I probably would have let slide in other circumstances). I certainly wasn't expecting that much, and I am happy to consider the matter settled.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:46 am

I never "moved" to FLUB. I selected the FLUB seat when booking, as I booked at circa T-36.

I would expect BA not to let me book a seat that they change their mind about honouring a mere 30 hours later. If they are minded to change people's seats, they should keep alternative seats blocked to ensure that seating preferences can still be met where possible.

In the event, I did submit a complaint and received a response in fairly short order offering 20k Avios for being moved, alongside some other service failings onboard the flight (that again, I probably would have let slide in other circumstances). I certainly wasn't expecting that much, and I am happy to consider the matter settled.
So they only open F when they THINK they need it, if for some reason then don't they close it. So you are saying they need to hold your seat open which would mean there is not point flbubing people to realse 8/14 seats as they still have to hold them open so don't creat 8/14 J seats...

Glad you like your 20k, maybe it also comes with a **don't allow flub in the internal systems.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK
So they only open F when they THINK they need it, if for some reason then don't they close it. So you are saying they need to hold your seat open which would mean there is not point flbubing people to realse 8/14 seats as they still have to hold them open so don't creat 8/14 J seats...

Glad you like your 20k, maybe it also comes with a **don't allow flub in the internal systems.
If they are convinced that the flight will be sufficiently busy to warrant Flubbing people, then they should stick to their decision. It's amazing how readily people are defending what is, in essence, BA wanting to have its cake and eat it. They want to both allow more last-minute J fares to be sold, and to scrimp on the cost of a few extra cabin crew if that gamble doesn't pay off. I'm afraid that's not how it works, at least not in my book.

It's also amazing how some people get jealous when others receive compensation for crummy service...
Old May 5, 2023, 4:00 am

not jealous at all...More avios than needed, just a GFL who has done my flights than needed and has had good and bad. enjoy you weekend.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:07 am

My understanding is that the First cabin seats are included in the Club capacity for the respective non-F flight so on a 789 that would mean 50 Club seats are actually available for sale and not 42. So if these seats are being sold, why is there not a clearer policy on seat allocation in the F cabin? It sounds like they just need to reconfigure a lot of 789s with no F cabin which could add an extra 14 Club seats. Better still, just sell First on the route in the first place and upgrade eligible passengers accordingly, if needed.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Indeed, the lesson is BA flub people. If you self-flub do not be surprised if you are un-flubbed. This should be well known for frequent users of this forum.

You can throw your toys out of the pram if you want when you self-flub and your gamble doesn't pay off, but it's not going to gain much sympathy from others I am afraid, and certainly comes across in a way which may not be as positive as you think. Of course if your agenda is to try and complain about everything going forward to get as much as possible because BA didn't do what you wanted in a past issue, then I suppose it makes some sense, albeit it does come across as a bit silly and in fact it might be simpler just to move your custom elsewhere to an airline that can meet your expectations.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Indeed, the lesson is BA flub people. If you self-flub do not be surprised if you are un-flubbed. This should be well known for frequent users of this forum.

You can throw your toys out of the pram if you want when you self-flub and your gamble doesn't pay off, but it's not going to gain much sympathy from others I am afraid, and certainly comes across in a way which may not be as positive as you think.
I don't think that expecting the seat you selected when booking can be classified as a gamble, or being aggrieved when that doesn't happen can be classified as throwing your toys out of the pram. But I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on that.

At the end of the day, BA don't have this policy out of the goodness of their hearts, or even to reward the loyalty of high-status BAEC members. They do it in an attempt to flog more seats and the policy must be seen as what it is - a commercial strategy.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:18 am

At the end of the day, BA don't have this policy out of the goodness of their hearts, or even to reward the loyalty of high-status BAEC members. They do it in an attempt to flog more seats and the policy must be seen as what it is - a commercial strategy.
Indeed. So why didn't you stick to the seat you had and wait to see if you got moved? Worse case you wouldn't have been moved and got exactly what you expected in the seat you choose in club.

In future stay where you are - something as a frequent visitor to this forum you should have known to start with tbh. This isn't hard.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Indeed. So why didn't you stick to the seat you had and wait to see if you got moved? Worse case you wouldn't have been moved and got exactly what you expected in the seat you choose in club.

In future stay where you are - something as a frequent visitor to this forum you should have known to start with tbh. This isn't hard.
Evidently you haven't read my previous posts very thoroughly as I have stated several times that I did not have any previous seat. The only seat I ever selected was a Flub.

It isn't hard for BA to do this right. They choose not to for their own commercial reasons. I will continue to select any seats they decide to make available to me.
Old May 5, 2023, 5:27 am

It isn't hard for BA to do this right. They choose not to for their own commercial reasons. I will continue to select any seats they decide to make available to me.
It isn't hard for you to follow the advice in this thread either, but you choose not to do so for your own silly reasons. You will continue to get de-flubbed.

What is it you think you are trying to achieve here if you keep do that again in the future? Just have an excuse to complain and get some avios? You certainly are not going to get BA to change how they do things, but you will end up in a club seat you might not actually want.

Last edited by KARFA; May 5, 2023 at 5:32 am
Old May 5, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Isn't the problem here that BA make the FLUB seats selectable on the seat map, even if J isn't sold out? This may only be for a few hours or so as I noted. (Knew not to select them based on this thread). Why don't they just lock them all until check in, and FLUB as they wish per (which is what they do in practice anyway).
Englishlee0710 likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Does anyone know the criteria used by BA to select who is Flubbed?
Is it GGL, then Gold, then Silver, etc, or Full fare, discount fare, reward fare?
Old May 5, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Full Score
Does anyone know the criteria used by BA to select who is Flubbed?
Is it GGL, then Gold, then Silver, etc, or Full fare, discount fare, reward fare?
By status / CIV score.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.