Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Anyway, we’re in Flub right now and have our printed boarding passes, we’re flying our first TATL in 20 months and we’re happy.
I’ve got that far in the past too, but still managed to miss out! Good luck
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by firstlight
collectively we had a word with BA to right the obvious injustice you were subjected to!
Much appreciated!
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Surprise, surprise. Just before OLCI we could not change seats.
It's amazing what a little patience can do isn't it.
Once you accept you can't influence it by talking to anyone and let the CIV's and status do their thing, these things invariably work out IF the cabin is being utilised. Enjoy the FLUB!
Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by zen100
Anecdotes again, but my observation is that they assign FLUB to those that haven't selected a seat (typically non status holders), so they don't need to sent out as many "Your seats have changed" e-mails.
Complete opposite experience to my FLUB experiences departing Gatwick where the FLUB is always blocked out completely and once under airport control the pre departures team then manually select those who meet the criteria on the day as they're prepping the flight for moving forward. No email notifications sent about seat swaps, it just happens and if you happen to periodically check MMB in the days/hours leading up to departure you may notice the seat map blocked out completely and new seat numbers assigned. Even LGW check in desk historically couldn't seat shift you into FLUB as their screen is greyed out too. Everything happens back office. Departing Heathrow is a completely different matter and seems to be a case of last resort if they happen to need the additional capacity of the FLUB cabin then it becomes selectable. People seem to then chance their arm and then end up disappointed if BA decide not to utilise FLUB as departure closes in and then get seat shifted back.

Anecdotally, years ago in a previous role when working for a luxury tour operator I had a client who moaned at every opportunity... nothing was good enough. Complained bitterly one year that he wasn't FLUBBED and insisted a rival company were doing it for their clients as a gratis benefit. I knew for a fact they weren't but that was his stance. Fast forward to the following year and off he went to the Carribbean again and his family of 5 were all FLUBBED. He complained again saying he was in with all the staff on freebies. Whether or not that's true, I really have no idea but some people just can't be pleased even when presented with a nicer seat. 🤷🏻‍♂️
MaxFlyer likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 26, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Reporting in from St. Lucia. Flub stuck and we had an uneventful flight in F seats. Crew worked hard and given the current circumstances did a great job. The slow roasted rib of beef along with a nice glass (or 3) of St.Emilion was excellent!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:43 am

Apologies for a long rant lol.
BA456 LHR-MAD on 06/11
My original booking was LHR-RAK, but since it got cancelled I was rerouted through MAD with IB flight numbers. Flight was originally scheduled with B788, 3A and 3K were already taken, so I settled for 7A. Occasional checks on EF if row 3 becomes available.
Did OLCI at T-24, no option to change seats as BA didn't think it's an operating carrier. Don't know what made me look at EF later in the day. But.. Flight was changed to B789 AND Flub was open AND 1K was available. BUT.. I was already checked in and downloaded BP.
Call to BA, just in case. Stuck with security question about the channel I booked the flight with - "did you book direct with BA?", "Yes!", "That is an incorrect answer!" "OK, no then!", "That is a correct answer, thank you!"
Explained my situation and asked if it was possible to still change my seat. First response was that I have to call IB, as only operating carrier can change seats. Managed to convince the agent, that BA is an operating carrier.
"Yes, I see 1K is available, but you already have a window seat."
"Yes, but 1K is a F seat, so somewhat more comfortable"
"7A is also a F seat!"
"No, rows 1 and 2 are F seats."
"No, rows 1-7 are F seats!"
"Ok, but can you please move me to 1K?"
"Ok, I will try to do that" On hold about 5 minutes and then "I'm sorry sir, somebody just took that seat!"
I refreshed EF and sure enough it was gone. @&#+€-#&@+# "Thank you for your help!"
For no reason at all checked EF in the morning before going to the airport. 1E and 1F available!!!! Dashed to LHR much earlier than I had planned, Club desks were open even though it was barely after 4am. Asked the cheerful agent if he could change my seat to 1E. "Of course sir, not a problem!" And a minute later I had the BP in hand. Result!
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:01 am

BA 273 LHR-SAN operated by 789 with first seats. First was empty until 3 days before flight. I checked 2 days and MMB gave me the option to choose 1A for 140 euros. Thinking it was probably going to be a full flight and I had no seat assignment and no status, I bit. Checked-in and BP says 1A. Got to CDG and agent gave me BP with 6K. .... Got to LHR and Guest Services confirmed that a 'Gold' was now in 1A. I'm confident that I'll get my 140 euros back, but, geez, what horrible customer service.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Booked BA680 LHR-IST and flew it a few weeks ago as part of a tier point run / holiday MXP-YYZ-IST. I had no status when I booked but the fare allowed me to select seats on this sector and I was pleased to see the aircraft was originally scheduled to have Club Suites, so booked in 5K. When the time came to check in at YYZ for the return, I didn't question why I had been moved to 2K (hangover!) so imagine my surprise boarding at LHR the next day to find myself in FLUB! Great crew and took a load of photos before enjoying the seat as that's one I doubt I'll ever be able to afford paying full price for!
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
i took a gamble last week on my DEN-LHR.

originally i purchased a seat in F, then equipment was swapped to A350, back to biz for me. then it was a 4class 777 with no F for sale and ultimately a 4class 789. at check in it allowed me to select 2K so I did (from 7K the last row in the smaller forward biz cabin).

hours before departure i see i was moved back to 10K which i despise because i dont like stepping over anyone. ultimately nothing could be done until i got to the airport which was stressful for me.

at airport the agent tried to get me out of 10K and computer put me in 11A which, .... she was then locked out from making any changes to my seat for some reason and now i'd have to go to the gate early to ensure i get 13E (middle seat, last row of cabin). highly frustrating this entire debacle, esp as a GGL to not be given one of the row 13 window seats which were open at checkin.

then once at gate i get 13E and they assure me its great because there is no one seated on either side of me. sweet.

of course once i board a young couple are seated on either side of me. ....

eventually they are moved and the kicker is not only is the F cabin closed off but so too is the forward biz cabin and they shoved ALL of us into the rear biz cabin--why would they do this? it is the antithesis of distancing.

landed to LHR to another lovely bus stand at T5 which makes it now 7 of my last 8 longhauls have been bus stands at LHR, why?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by VSLover
…not only is the F cabin closed off but so too is the forward biz cabin and they shoved ALL of us into the rear biz cabin--why would they do this?
Possibly a crew member or two short of a full complement for the 789, and closing off between doors 1-2 allowed the cabin service to be more efficient in the remaining zones than it would have been otherwise.

landed to LHR to another lovely bus stand at T5 which makes it now 7 of my last 8 longhauls have been bus stands at LHR, why?
Pure luck, or lack thereof.
VSLover likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by VSLover
i took a gamble last week on my DEN-LHR.

originally i purchased a seat in F, then equipment was swapped to A350, back to biz for me. then it was a 4class 777 with no F for sale and ultimately a 4class 789. at check in it allowed me to select 2K so I did (from 7K the last row in the smaller forward biz cabin).

hours before departure i see i was moved back to 10K which i despise because i dont like stepping over anyone. ultimately nothing could be done until i got to the airport which was stressful for me.

at airport the agent tried to get me out of 10K and computer put me in 11A which, .... she was then locked out from making any changes to my seat for some reason and now i'd have to go to the gate early to ensure i get 13E (middle seat, last row of cabin). highly frustrating this entire debacle, esp as a GGL to not be given one of the row 13 window seats which were open at checkin.

then once at gate i get 13E and they assure me its great because there is no one seated on either side of me. sweet.

of course once i board a young couple are seated on either side of me. ....

eventually they are moved and the kicker is not only is the F cabin closed off but so too is the forward biz cabin and they shoved ALL of us into the rear biz cabin--why would they do this? it is the antithesis of distancing.

I can see no reason for doing this including crew shortage, very strange.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On a night flight, 13E isn't a bad option you do have a clear walkway out, both left and right. It isn't a bad option in my view, no step overs involved, and you have a bit more storage too. The front cabin close off doesn't make sense, they should be on 10 cabin crew which is fairly generous and certainly adequate for a full service for the whole aircraft. Unless someone got hypoxia, I suppose, the cabin crews only get 1 night in Denver. (Flight crews get 2 nights).

As I've noted upthread, the first rule of Flub is to do nothing. If you are GGL they'll find you, but trying to beat the system tends to work against you. If you aren't GGL they probably won't be looking for you anyway. So for my LHR-DEN service I went from 7A to 1A, by doing precisely nothing. Now admittedly something odd happened along the way from CCR to T5B, and my seat went from 1A to 13J (!) back to 7A. Once I got on board there was someone in 7A so the wonderful IFM said "well you will have to go back to 1A then won't you". He did see a lot of seat moves at the last moment, that's not uncommon, given the large number of no shows and AUPs to process at the last moment.
VSLover likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I don’t understand is that you still have to serve the same number of customers from the same galley so any crew shortages would make no difference, in fact having customers spaced out and not having to serve over as many customers is quicker and easier.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On a night flight, 13E isn't a bad option you do have a clear walkway out, both left and right. It isn't a bad option in my view, no step overs involved, and you have a bit more storage too.
I’ve considered this seat in the past to KUL. What’s the additional storage you mention? There’s only the normal drawer right?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is more room to one side of the seat cushion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.