Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Travelling on the 2159 from LGW to UVF tomorrow and interestingly they provide this message which now explains the FLUB concept ("Club world - Front cabin. You are selecting a flatbed seat at the front of the aircraft which was previously our First cabin and is now sold as Club World. Some elements of the product and service may differ between the First and Club World cabins").

Understand how the hard product differs but does anyone know how the service might differ (or is this just a catch all they've put in for good order)?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by LSEFlyerLLB
Travelling on the 2159 from LGW to UVF tomorrow and interestingly they provide this message which now explains the FLUB concept ("Club world - Front cabin. You are selecting a flatbed seat at the front of the aircraft which was previously our First cabin and is now sold as Club World. Some elements of the product and service may differ between the First and Club World cabins").

Understand how the hard product differs but does anyone know how the service might differ (or is this just a catch all they've put in for good order)?
Hi,

Well, the service will be club world and not first class ie the club world food and cutlery and service standards and no dine on demand

Regards
Tbs
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Could be as simple as the service will be hand run rather than from a trolley.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have been watching BA2159 LGW-UVF this coming Sunday 26/9 as this is a 4-class 777 showing "J6 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B2 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0" and has been for some time.

On ExpertFlyer FLUB class was showing all blocked and CW showing almost completely full until about 30 minutes ago when suddenly all seats in FLUB are taken, occupied not blocked, and 12 seats are now open or blocked in CW. Our seats in the main CW cabin have not changed since I assigned them about 6 weeks ago.

How does BA do this? Have they reassigned selected passengers into FLUB already to avoid pax doing this themselves? Given the loads above, I was expecting to be able to assign us nice seats there as soon as it opened up. This usually worked in the past with a risk of being moved back if loads were light but unlikely in this case.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Have they reassigned selected passengers into FLUB already to avoid pax doing this themselves? Given the loads above, I was expecting to be able to assign us nice seats there as soon as it opened up. This usually worked in the past with a risk of being moved back if loads were light but unlikely in this case.
Yes it looks like they have. The cabin will stay open as there are 56 booked in Club plus 3 on Standby with Club Priority.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
How does BA do this? Have they reassigned selected passengers into FLUB already to avoid pax doing this themselves? ...
Anecdotally on this thread, and what I was told on one flight where I benefitted (which started the thread) BA allocate Gold and GGL passengers to FLUB if CW is overbooked but it's never been confirmed for sure what the algorithm is.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by firstlight
Anecdotally on this thread, and what I was told on one flight where I benefitted (which started the thread) BA allocate Gold and GGL passengers to FLUB if CW is overbooked but it's never been confirmed for sure what the algorithm is.
Well in this case FLUB and CW are already full at T-48 and at least these 2 GCH are still in their original Club seats. I cannot complain as I’m just happy to be travelling at all, but I had hoped for better.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Well in this case FLUB and CW are already full at T-48 and at least these 2 GCH are still in their original Club seats. I cannot complain as I’m just happy to be travelling at all, but I had hoped for better.
Sounds like they may be bouncing or downgrading people then. Just for information are you on a cash or reward booking ?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
Sounds like they may be bouncing or downgrading people then. Just for information are you on a cash or reward booking ?
It’s a cash booking made at a time when the price was great. WT+ has filled up on the seat map too now. Expertflyer is still showing J6, W9, Y9 though so I’d be surprised if they’re downgrading. We’re only flying on Sunday because they cancelled the Monday flight on which we were originally booked. At the time that flight was cancelled, I already thought they had underestimated demand.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:06 am

How does BA do this? Have they reassigned selected passengers into FLUB already to avoid pax doing this themselves? Given the loads above, I was expecting to be able to assign us nice seats there as soon as it opened up. This usually worked in the past with a risk of being moved back if loads were light but unlikely in this case.
Anecdotes again, but my observation is that they assign FLUB to those that haven't selected a seat (typically non status holders), so they don't need to sent out as many "Your seats have changed" e-mails.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:55 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by zen100
Anecdotes again, but my observation is that they assign FLUB to those that haven't selected a seat (typically non status holders), so they don't need to sent out as many "Your seats have changed" e-mails.
My experience is that London does it by status (GGL first. The man at the GF lounge told me that they were doing 97s first, but mine might be possible later as I was a 66. He didn’t say what the numbers meant but obviously I knew he was referring to CIV).
The return flight outstations tend to FLUB people who don’t have seat allocations, as you say.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
My experience is that London does it by status (GGL first. The man at the GF lounge told me that they were doing 97s first, but mine might be possible later as I was a 66. He didn’t say what the numbers meant but obviously I knew he was referring to CIV).
The return flight outstations tend to FLUB people who don’t have seat allocations, as you say.
ANU definitely (or at least used to) seat shift based upon status before OLCI opened. It used to be they then opened up the FLUB section once Golds and above had been moved but in recent years they've been closing it out and not reopening it.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:19 pm

Well, we are both Gold, but no idea what my CIV is. I guess there are just too many GGL’s going to St. Lucia this Sunday leaving no room in Flub for us lowly Golds.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:14 pm

Surprise, surprise. Just before OLCI we could not change seats. Everything in Flub and CW was either occupied or blocked. But at OLCI we were allocated seats in Flub which in the seat map were displayed as occupied, not blocked. Our original CW seats also continued to be displayed as occupied. If we didn’t want the Flub seats allocated we couldn’t have had anything else. It’s like the online seat map has no bearing on the real situation.

Anyway, we’re in Flub right now and have our printed boarding passes, we’re flying our first TATL in 20 months and we’re happy.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Sep 25, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Surprise, surprise. Just before OLCI we could not change seats. Everything in Flub and CW was either occupied or blocked. But at OLCI we were allocated seats in Flub which in the seat map were displayed as occupied, not blocked. Our original CW seats also continued to be displayed as occupied. It’s like the online seat map has no bearing on the real situation.

Anyway, we’re in Flub right now and have our printed boarding passes.
collectively we had a word with BA to right the obvious injustice you were subjected to!
Tafflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.