Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:37 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,695
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Thanks for your insight. It's J1 now. I'll be happy to keep this thread updated to my experience.
If you're gold/silver then I'm guessing you'll have already assigned seats to/from ANU? Non status / cheap fare bucket ticket holders will still need a seat assignment when OLCI opens and most non status CW passengers probably don't bother forking out hundreds on top of their fare for advance seat assignments. I'd say from experience nothing will happen until the day or day before OLCI opens. At which point seating control will begin to look at the flight and verify eligible passengers on your flight to potentially FLUB. I was Gold when we flew and partner was Silver. We both had mid scale CIV's that year from travelling a fair wodge on BA (rather than majority of QR flying and a bit on BA) as an example. I don't know for certain but I'd say either the status and/or combination of the CIV's influenced who got moved up.
Outbound flight wasn't anywhere near full in Club and yet 8 or so we're sat up front. Inbound flight was pretty much full in Club and about 10 seats were occupied in FLUB. Despite the varying loads FLUB was still utilised in both directions.

I've also noticed FLUB is a lot more predictable at Gatwick where generally the F cabin will be utilised as FLUB on applicable routes where a 4 class plane is used regardless to the actual Club load as opposed to at Heathrow where F is generally closed off if Club isn't full. Knowing you have zero influence over who sits there takes some of the pressure away. By this I mean if it happens, it happens and if it doesn't, it doesn't is about as technical as it gets hence why assigning regular CW seats from the choice available in the CW seat map if you have status is I think still a good move. If FLUB doesn't happen for any reason then at least you have your preferred CW seats assigned.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 21, 2020 at 1:44 pm
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 5:28 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
I am travelling from Gatwick to Antigua on 31 October (BA2157). The seat map for the Club cabin now shows as wide open for me but ExpertFlyer shows those seats as blocked and the First cabin is now occupied. Strangely, my allocated seat stills shows me in the Club cabin on MMB but on ExpertFlyer my seat is blocked rather than occupied. Can I assume I am being moved to the First cabin?
Blackfriars1 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 5:48 am
  #153  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 2,419
Originally Posted by Blackfriars1
I am travelling from Gatwick to Antigua on 31 October (BA2157). The seat map for the Club cabin now shows as wide open for me but ExpertFlyer shows those seats as blocked and the First cabin is now occupied. Strangely, my allocated seat stills shows me in the Club cabin on MMB but on ExpertFlyer my seat is blocked rather than occupied. Can I assume I am being moved to the First cabin?
In these situations I live in hope but am always prepared for disappointment if flight loads change at the last moment. It should resolve at OLCI. If you have gold or above status you are more likely to get lucky but if you have a good CW seat at the moment then I would leave yourself where you are.
firstlight is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 5:58 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by firstlight
In these situations I live in hope but am always prepared for disappointment if flight loads change at the last moment. It should resolve at OLCI. If you have gold or above status you are more likely to get lucky but if you have a good CW seat at the moment then I would leave yourself where you are.
Thanks - I am gold and J is sold out so I’m hopeful but I will leave myself where I am and see what happens at check-in.
Blackfriars1 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:05 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shoreham By Sea
Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Posts: 1,424
My seat on the same flight 2 weeks later still does not have the first section open. When I last posted here, it was J1 on EF. In the last few days that became J2, J4 and now J9. So I’m not as confident as I was that my flight will be busy enough to warrant it opening.......
kingcole974 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:40 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 331
Am on the same flight in Y and seems J & W have seen significant drop off in the last week. Expertflyer seems wide open now across the board whereas before as you say it was showing J1 W1 I seem to remember. Good luck with the FLUB
LeeT is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:42 am
  #157  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Posts: 528
We have a flight booked to Cape Town next April, which is scheduled to be a 3-class 777, but in the booking it says

Club world - Front cabin You are selecting a flatbed seat at the front of the aircraft which was previously our First cabin and is now sold as Club World. Some elements of the product and service may differ between the First and Club World cabins.

This isn't true as we are in the small second cabin. Maybe it will change to a 4-Class plane, and we will get a first seat. As its a 12-hour overnight flight leaving at 21:30, the extra space would be pleasant and aid sleep
escape2sun is offline  
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:38 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,805
Originally Posted by escape2sun
We have a flight booked to Cape Town next April, which is scheduled to be a 3-class 777, but in the booking it says

Club world - Front cabin You are selecting a flatbed seat at the front of the aircraft which was previously our First cabin and is now sold as Club World. Some elements of the product and service may differ between the First and Club World cabins.

This isn't true as we are in the small second cabin. Maybe it will change to a 4-Class plane, and we will get a first seat. As its a 12-hour overnight flight leaving at 21:30, the extra space would be pleasant and aid sleep
That's a strange message and not one I've seen before!
tom139 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:06 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,131
Should I move to FLUB??

Flying to ANU on Tuesday and I think FLUB has just opened up. But I don’t understand the seat map below (2 rows of 8, all forward facing??) and I am concerned there is a risk FLUB doesn’t in fact open and I lose our pair seats in CW?
aristoph is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:35 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 680
Originally Posted by aristoph
Flying to ANU on Tuesday and I think FLUB has just opened up. But I don’t understand the seat map below (2 rows of 8, all forward facing??) and I am concerned there is a risk FLUB doesn’t in fact open and I lose our pair seats in CW?
As far as I'm aware that is how its usually displayed. Never selected it on my one and only booking where I've seen it myself (BA460 to MAD last year.). That being said, ANU is a route that sees FLUB regularly and I can't recall a time, whether looking at Expertflyer or on flights I've taken to and from ANU on these particular aircraft, where it hasn't been used.

Many would suggest keeping your current seat assignments until checkin but don't download your boarding pass as you will be unable to change seats after that. However if you want to take the risk now, my suggestion would be to select a real seat ( any A, E, F or K seat)

Last edited by SonicStar817; Dec 13, 2020 at 5:43 am
SonicStar817 is online now  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:14 am
  #161  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,805
On EF, it’s showing as J9 but the F cabin is indeed no longer blocked.


tom139 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:43 am
  #162  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 2,419
Well it looks like row 12 AB (Aristoph) has been moved forward / has moved forward already into 2EF. Less than 48 hours to flight. When that happened to us they left the original seats with X's in. I assume Aristoph and/or partner is gold or ggl to have this happen. Might have expected row 10 to also be moved forward.
firstlight is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:11 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,695
Originally Posted by firstlight
Well it looks like row 12 AB (Aristoph) has been moved forward / has moved forward already into 2EF. Less than 48 hours to flight. When that happened to us they left the original seats with X's in. I assume Aristoph and/or partner is gold or ggl to have this happen. Might have expected row 10 to also be moved forward.
When we were FLUBbed to ANU a few years ago we didn't even have this seat map, the seat assignments were just changed and locked in without the ability to change them any further. Even the check in desk had them all greyed out.
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:31 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,131
Originally Posted by firstlight
Well it looks like row 12 AB (Aristoph) has been moved forward / has moved forward already into 2EF. Less than 48 hours to flight. When that happened to us they left the original seats with X's in. I assume Aristoph and/or partner is gold or ggl to have this happen. Might have expected row 10 to also be moved forward.
Yes that’s right, I took the chance and moved us forward. (I am gold.) Fingers crossed this works out...

PS Oddly I can no longer access the seat map for the flight in MMB. If I click on Change Seats nothing happens. Oh well!
1Aturnleft likes this.

Last edited by aristoph; Dec 13, 2020 at 10:37 am
aristoph is offline  
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:58 am
  #165  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,695
Originally Posted by aristoph
Yes that’s right, I took the chance and moved us forward. (I am gold.) Fingers crossed this works out...

PS Oddly I can no longer access the seat map for the flight in MMB. If I click on Change Seats nothing happens. Oh well!
Sounds hopeful! Fingers crossed it works out for you 👍
1Aturnleft is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.