Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:48 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Maybe they’re going to do it Thunderbirds style. FIVE.............FOUR...........THREE............. .TWO................ONE............Thunder Golds are GO.
T8191, Tobias-UK and Flame3601 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
If the Golf Gate Lice are now in group 5, where do us Blues go? Group 10?
Can you board as priority if gate checking a set of clubs?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
BA probably have everyone down as group 1 to make it easier on themselves
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
BA probably have everyone down as group 1 to make it easier on themselves
"Passenger feedback indicates that everybody likes to have priority boarding, so we are pleased to announce that all passengers will be given priority."
86BA7 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Completely forgot about these new boarding groups (have managed to avoid flying BA the whole of 2017 after their silly BoB concept), but BA became my 1st flight for 2018 last weekend (in CE). Noticed this group thing above 2 screens in AMS and was initially surprised under the "Priority" screen was Group 1-3 and Economy (Group 4+5). However boarding was in the Priority lane was basically the same as previously, just an announcement covering CE, Gold until Bronze was asked to board in no particular order in the priority lane.

Have in 2 weeks time some flights to BA (from the nice PE sale to DXB for the weekend), will see how they will implement this in MAD and in LHR.
Cheers!

ps: the offerings in the BA lounge last week was miserable, basically nothing much and even the soup pot was 1/4 filled and was lukewarm at best. Not sure if it is because of the still holiday season last week, but can't believe that the Aspire lounge next door had better offerings. Also hate the new boarding pass format - it now both feels and looks cheap. Just waiting to see how low BA is going this year with the introduction of more low cost type improvements.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
So, large suitcases will get you priority boarding?! Why not try https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-travel-bag-by - 'instant' large suitcase!

Seriously, a long-term pain of mine are those with large suitcase who are able to use the overhead bins, but those who have sensibly packed a small carry on bag have to sacrifice their foot-space to put it under the seat infront! Airlines should just enforce/refuse to take those large bags as carry on - inconvenience them, not reward them!
Ive always thought it would be selfish to take up overhead space when my backpack (just) fits under the seat. Just like people who manspread or put their bags on train seats rather than hold them. I know it's more comfortable to take the extra space but it's poor etiquette.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
> Ive always thought it would be selfish to take up overhead space when my backpack (just) fits under the seat.

It's a nice sentiment but I just can't agree: as a tall person with a history of backpack travel, I definitely do not want to sacrifice my foot well just so that someone else has more room in the overhead bins.
Amygdala28 and streetmagix like this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by technical_bob
> Ive always thought it would be selfish to take up overhead space when my backpack (just) fits under the seat.

It's a nice sentiment but I just can't agree: as a tall person with a history of backpack travel, I definitely do not want to sacrifice my foot well just so that someone else has more room in the overhead bins.
I understand the sentiment, but for a sub-1hr sector I personally can't be bothered. I'd rather have the contents of my modest backpack to hand.

However, I digress ...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:51 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I understand the sentiment, but for a sub-1hr sector I personally can't be bothered. I'd rather have the contents of my modest backpack to hand.

However, I digress ...
with all those bag tags on it and that gargantuan FT tag thing, it needs its own dedicated overhead bin / hold container.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by onylon
Ive always thought it would be selfish to take up overhead space when my backpack (just) fits under the seat. Just like people who manspread or put their bags on train seats rather than hold them. I know it's more comfortable to take the extra space but it's poor etiquette.
... try it on an 8+ hour TATL flight in Y on a 787... .
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Group one on my BP for T3 flight this morning.

OT: Do golds get FT at security at T3 in ET? I got rejected a few weeks ago. Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Group one on my BP for T3 flight this morning.

OT: Do golds get FT at security at T3 in ET? I got rejected a few weeks ago. Thanks
You should. I have never had a problem in ET. Just scan your BP on the automated gates, and it should let you through. Only issue I can think of is that your FF number wasn’t on the ticket?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I have checked in this morning for a DOM-LHR-EUR in CE for tomorrow and my BPs (on iPhone) both have Group 1 on them.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
After consultation with the Mods and Ambassadors (weeks ago!) we've launched a separate thread for airport experiences of Group Boarding, to use the official term.

Group Boarding 2018 - first hand experiences

I don't think boarding pass experiences amounts to too much but when we get some reports of what happens in airports it would be good to have some direct reports in that thread, hopefully we will soon see how well it is working, and who knows BA may also be looking at that thread too. In the mean time this thread is a good place for musings, conjecture and speculation, as ever.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
KARFA, quoted once again in the TalkMail:

Notable Quotes
Select humorous, insightful, particularly informative or interesting content is posted here while providing whatever context necessary.

For the new year, KARFA is quite clear about one single wish for boarding airlines by groups:

"New group boarding system:
  1. Me
  2. Everyone else"
Andriyko and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.