Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've got a bit of a news update. LHR T5A is now fully on Group Boarding, so effectively shorthaul (which I would have thought would be trickier than longhaul). T5B will "probably" move next week, and perhaps T5C. Adding up the dots I think that Group Boarding should be network wide in about 3 weeks or so. I'm sure some will want to know why it's taking so long, and the answer is largely down to the fact that 3,000 people need to be trained in this in LHR alone.

EDIT: T3 is only doing a few destinations at the moment, LGW is doing most (all?) of them.
Yesterday, LHR T3 to VIE not on Group boarding as yet - I asked if it was coming soon and was told by gate staff they had not yet been given a date.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheBigRat
Yesterday, LHR T3 to VIE not on Group boarding as yet - I asked if it was coming soon and was told by gate staff they had not yet been given a date.
Reading between the lines of what I gleamed yesterday I think they are a week or two away at T3. They have quite a variety of gates, the usual longhaul gates will be fine for this, but there are a set of low numbered gates used for shorthaul with a LGW style entrance desk to a dedicated seating area. So the bottleneck is often the check-in desk at the front, and less so the actual boarding process: they can be boarding people fairly seamlessly while there is a long queue of people trying to get to the check-in desk. I'm not sure how that will be managed under this system.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by firstlight
We might need that marriage counselling too. Single PNR. The missus is dead scared of being turned away if she comes with me into the group 1 queue but the information I have from previous posts is that I can guest her onto the plane with me. We'll let you all know how it goes...
Guesting is allowed (and I saw it yesterday), but my impression was that on the same PNR it should have put all at Group 1, however they were working on an IT fix which allowed TCP and other linked bookings on separate PNRs to carry over the top rated group. Looks like both fixes are needed.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
I've not experienced Group boarding yet as my last flight was in December. However - I'm struggling to understand how it can be so difficult to implement. Like every other policy relating to the experience of flying, from lounge entry to onboard behaviour and protocol, the rules depend solely on the willingness of staff to enforce them. As a top tier FF in the past, I've been left scratching my head, confused and annoyed by the lack of enforcement of both priority boarding and amount/size of hand luggage. Hand luggage is a bit trickier as time is tight, and shuttling bags from the cabin to the hold once on board could easily cause slots to be missed. But it could be done at the gate, of course. As far as priority boarding went, there was really no excuse. Ditto onboard behaviour - from phone use to those who are on their feet and opening bins before the plane is even parked, that's what the crew are there for.

On the face of it, group boarding could not be simpler - groups are determined by cabin and status alone (except 4/5 perhaps), so how hard can it be firstly for passengers to get into the right group, but secondly for staff to enforce this and move people to the right groups. Frequent Flyers will learn quickly enough that they won't get away with group-jumping, and the masses of non-status economy passengers will only ever experience one group, so no issues there.

Unless I'm missing something really obvious....
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by florens
On top of my head I could think of the GVA satellites to be challenging as well. Not much space there either for 5 separate lanes.
I think the best way to deal with groups in small boarding areas would be to have one large queue for non-priority and one/two priority lines and they'd just ask Group 4 to queue in the general one and Group 1 and 2 to stand in their respective queues with Group 3 and 5 being asked to remain seated. Group 3 would be asked to start queuing once all the waiting Group 1 has vacated that priority line. Group 5 would start queuing once Group 4 starts boarding.

Looking at how airlines in the US manage their groups/boarding system quite well, it's merely a question of getting a working system and ruthlessly apply it (both in terms of sticking to it and enforcing it). If you keep altering it, then passengers are just going to be confused and/or frustrated.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I think the best way to deal with groups in small boarding areas would be to have one large queue for non-priority and one/two priority lines and they'd just ask Group 4 to queue in the general one and Group 1 and 2 to stand in their respective queues with Group 3 and 5 being asked to remain seated. Group 3 would be asked to start queuing once all the waiting Group 1 has vacated that priority line. Group 5 would start queuing once Group 4 starts boarding.

Looking at how airlines in the US manage their groups/boarding system quite well, it's merely a question of getting a working system and ruthlessly apply it (both in terms of sticking to it and enforcing it). If you keep altering it, then passengers are just going to be confused and/or frustrated.
The best way to deal with it is to announce one group at a time and only board that group with strict enforcement. The need to have 3 queues etc. should not be necessary.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by strichener
The best way to deal with it is to announce one group at a time and only board that group with strict enforcement. The need to have 3 queues etc. should not be necessary.
I agree the general thrust of that comment, but until people get used to the idea of gropu boarding, multiple queues are at least a start. AA generally seem to manage with 2, but then Americans are generally accustomed to the process.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are therre any rumours about LGW yet?

We have a ‘herd-boarding’ scenario to the Caribbean in 4 weeks!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Are therre any rumours about LGW yet?

We have a ‘herd-boarding’ scenario to the Caribbean in 4 weeks!
Yes, our LGW-ANU was let's gate-check everyone into one massive holding pen, then call people forward by class/status with absolutely no checks whatsoever!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hundreds (I exaggerate) of assistants to the deserving pre-boarders is what really annoys me!

Probably 50 pre-boarders on our last trip, of whom 5-10 were actually in wheelchairs or on crutches. How much help do they need, I have to ask? Do the children help too?

However, nothing will change that without serious enforcement.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LHR - MAD - group 1, boarding groups enforced by the gate agent.

At MAD, flying IB, I’m Group 2 even though the boarding pass says clearly BA Gold/Emerald... but doesn’t matter as groups not enforced at all...
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
The hundreds (I exaggerate) of assistants to the deserving pre-boarders is what really annoys me!

Probably 50 pre-boarders on our last trip, of whom 5-10 were actually in wheelchairs or on crutches. How much help do they need, I have to ask? Do the children help too?

However, nothing will change that without serious enforcement.
Slightly OT but reminds me of a pre-boarder on our flight to Linate. She was a budding DYKWIA and made a scene because her wheelchair didn't arrive at the gate for the first lot of boarding. We'd seen her (with her ankle in a ski-boot injury type thing) in duty free. She was fine hopping around. But once at the gate - daring anyone to go before - she got on her wheelchair and would have been first to board, bar her "hand luggage". She couldn't fit it all on her chair or with her helpers so the usual Gold/Silver/Bronze scrum ensued, with her in total disbelief.

By the time she boarded she decided her vertigo meant she couldn't be wheeled down the plane and demanded a free seat in CE (2C). She was wheeled down the back. Incidentally the 2C seat was taken by the OH of 2A who came up sometime later mid-flight.

We heard nothing more from the "ski legger" until our return.

In Linate airport (as we hastened towards the lounge) Mr M pointed to a woman with a serious amount of baggage. We realised it was "her". On closer inspection, part of her baggage was her "ski boot" complete with hospital-looking-bandages. Her legs were fine(!) and her mobility unhindered. Sure enough, she turned up at the gate in a wheel chair with ski boot on her leg. She caused mayhem at LIN and managed to get herself moved up to CE due to her 'mobility issues'.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by firstlight
We might need that marriage counselling too. Single PNR. The missus is dead scared of being turned away if she comes with me into the group 1 queue but the information I have from previous posts is that I can guest her onto the plane with me. We'll let you all know how it goes...
I sometimes travel with my partner in group 4 or 5 (me in 1 or 2) in different PNRs in the US and we always board together early, just prepare to say "we are together" in authoritative voice, nobody ever said anything...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I've probably missed this further up (sorry!), but if there is a long-haul flight without a first class cabin, is Group 1 just Gold then, or does it become Gold + CW (as the highest-level cabin)?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by dycc
I've probably missed this further up (sorry!), but if there is a long-haul flight without a first class cabin, is Group 1 just Gold then, or does it become Gold + CW (as the highest-level cabin)?
Group 1 in that scenario would be "just" Gold and Emeralds. On many (most?) flights that would be the greater number of passengers anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.