Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
My HBO ticket showed "Group 5"as expected but did an in app upgrade to Club Europe, checked a bag and was given a new boarding pass but it still said "Group 5" but with Club Europe printed on it, sure this should have been Group 1 or Group 2 ?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Checked in for domestic connection at NCL to LHR and BP shows Group 1 for LHR-OSL - lets see what happens at LHR and will update post later.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alwaysTravelling
My HBO ticket showed "Group 5"as expected...
If you're BAEC Gold, as it says in your profile, then your boarding group should have been "Group 1", even if travelling HBO in Euro Traveller.
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Checked in for domestic connection at NCL to LHR and BP shows Group 1 for LHR-OSL - lets see what happens at LHR and will update post later.
My boarding pass for LHR-TXL yesterday had a Group number, but boarding by group was not implemented at the gate.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by golfmad
AA is good at it but it still doesn't always work that well. The main problem is the congestion around the boarding area which can get tight in certain spots at certain airports/gates. Yes, I agree that they turn people away with the wrong boarding group number but it's sometimes such a faff to try to get past people that it's not worth the effort. There needs to be better way to keep the gate area clear. I quite like the Delta approach of 'boarding pillars'.
Yes, if there is space for 5 separate lines then people have to make a choice of which line to join, whereas AA has 2 lines, priority and non priority, with consequent congestion. However what was reported in AMS yesterday was interesting - a pre-announcement saying "clear the area please / remain seated" and then calling the Groups clearly batch by batch. With an interloper thrown out from Group 1, it probably deterred others from jumping into (e.g.) Group 2 ahead of time. The 5 separate lines simply won't work in congested airports. Looking at gate 3 at Newcastle, it's quite a reasonable size, but I can't see how they could fit in 5 lines there, let alone behind all the pillars at EDI, and the corridors of MAN.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Board by Group operating in AMS

Just travelled from AMS on BA423, with a mobile app boarding card reflecting Group 2, and while waiting for boarding heard an announcement regarding boarding by Group.

Each Group was separately called, and there was someone checking Group number.

Actually worked quite well! I was relatively happy with this!
florens likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
That is brilliant
even better, if you pump it up with Helium it makes the bag lighter for the scales and for carrying/putting in the OHB.

Ill get me coat 😛😛
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Being slightly controversial here.

on my LHR to PVG leg last week they called First class and Gold/OWE. So as a GCH I went forward. However, in was only in WT+ and every time I always think, why call me before CW and not with CW. I'm not complaining mind you.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Sorry if this has been asked before in this thread, but does everyone on the same PNR get the same boarding group (ideally the highest one, of course?!) Thanks..
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Sorry if this has been asked before in this thread, but does everyone on the same PNR get the same boarding group (ideally the highest one, of course?!) Thanks..
Yes that has happened now (as I understand it, and it would certainly be good if [e.g.] a Gold + Silver in WT/ET could confirm). The development we are waiting for relates to those on different PNRs where a bit of coding needs to happen to allow the link to be made and the senior Boarding Group awarded to all passengers, that may be some weeks/months off
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Misco60
If you're BAEC Gold, as it says in your profile, then your boarding group should have been "Group 1", even if travelling HBO in Euro Traveller.
My boarding pass for LHR-TXL yesterday had a Group number, but boarding by group was not implemented at the gate.
Sorry it was not as expected. I am a gold, so expected Group 1, but it was a HBO fare through Egencia travel agency and it showed Group 5. I then app upgraded to CE at check-in but it remained at Group 5 on the boarding pass when I was given another boarding pass at bag drop despite it saying Club Europe on hte boarding pass. Assuming it stayed Group 5 because it was a travel agency booking though it should have been overriden because I of being Gold?.

Boarding itself was not implemented by group at the and was A10so bused at T5, I just wondered why it was showing Group 5 despite cabin and status.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes that has happened now (as I understand it, and it would certainly be good if [e.g.] a Gold + Silver in WT/ET could confirm). The development we are waiting for relates to those on different PNRs where a bit of coding needs to happen to allow the link to be made and the senior Boarding Group awarded to all passengers, that may be some weeks/months off
Thanks - I'll be able to confirm at start Feb when I'm travelling with 2 x Silvers in ET on a booking I made - I assume someone will update us before then however..
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
OT: Do golds get FT at security at T3 in ET? I got rejected a few weeks ago. Thanks
Yes, but the atuomated gates are hit and miss. Lately more miss than hit. FT can be quite busy though with passengers queuing all the way out into the second floor corridor.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by alwaysTravelling
Sorry it was not as expected. I am a gold, so expected Group 1, but it was a HBO fare through Egencia travel agency and it showed Group 5. I then app upgraded to CE at check-in but it remained at Group 5 on the boarding pass when I was given another boarding pass at bag drop despite it saying Club Europe on hte boarding pass. Assuming it stayed Group 5 because it was a travel agency booking though it should have been overriden because I of being Gold?.
I'm nearly certain this is a glitch, I think you have fallen through a hole in the process design, I'm highlighting this for the benefit of our lurkers in Waterside.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... the senior Boarding Group awarded to all passengers ...
The seniors amongst us may not like having lots of other passengers in the senior Boarding Group ...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Forgive me if I can’t see this on the iPhone but I’ve checked both threads, both wikis, should or could there be a description of the new boarding group system for anyone new or wanting to know the exact process?

I was about to forward a link to the threads to someone outside FT and couldn’t find the description of the new process without scrolling through. Just a suggestion if it’s not already thought of.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.