Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by Vgravity
9.25 to INN at his morning.

About 20 people who surrendered their roll on boarded before everyone else - and took their time.

Then children under two and those needing special assistance - which parents of any chldren of any age took to mean them.

Then they announced CE, Gold, Silver, bronze, etc all at once. There were only a handful of status pax, but I guess some may have been swept up in the pre m-boarding calls.
Same happened yesterday at Gate A17. What a shambles, a combination of HBO and weak implementation of cabin baggage rules with gate staff apparently not interested in an orderly process. The priority lane was choc a block with gate lice and an amusing DYKWIA lady barged her way to the front telling off people for standing in her way... I quietly slip streamed her as she carved a swathe through the masses!

Even with a group number and groups being called I can't see this working unless the gate staff give a fig.
1flyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Just been advised by gate crew that group boarding will commence in the first week in January. They are looking forward to it.
Tobias-UK and Flame3601 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:54 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
One thing that may be a slight barrier to proceedings and for a smooth transition of boarding procedures is going to be language if my observations last night are anything to go by.

On the DME flight and preboarding call went out—>Mad rush to the desk—>All sent back apart from 1set of parents with infant
Call for Business, Golds & Emeralds—>Mad rush to the desk—>Most sent back
Call for Silvers & Sapphires—>Mad rush to the desk—>Most sent back

Didn’t witness the rest of boarding but wasn’t a full aircraft and everyone on board with 5 minutes to spare.

I know BA have Russian speakers that could help ease this but am sure there are other flights that are going to suffer the same.

On on a side note: No visa checks by G4S either landside or at the gate.

S
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
The same thing happened on my last flight to Naples from Gatwick, the gate design is pretty terrible too as people tend to congregate by the entrance to the airbridge and block those behind. They called Priority boarding etc but it was useless, no one could get through the crowd!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
So the boarding farce continues unabated.
BA1440 today up to EDI boarding priority as follows
1. Hand baggage only passengers who can’t be bothered to now carry their overweight bags into the cabin and who now get to board first as they now choose to checkin the bags for free which would have cost Ł65 to do so 30 minutes earlier
Brilliant strategy BA
2. Those travelling with kids under 5. Don’t have an issue here but the 15 clingons who followed the single buggy was taking the piss.
3 club and Gold cards but only via automated gates that don’t work and create frustration. The boarding staff did not help by simply moving people between the errant gates and then making crass remarks about hand baggage. #Clueless
4. No idea what happened next but the procedures are farcical and if this the new standard at LHR then it stinks......
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Saltire74
One thing that may be a slight barrier to proceedings and for a smooth transition of boarding procedures is going to be language if my observations last night are anything to go by.

On the DME flight and preboarding call went out—>Mad rush to the desk—>All sent back apart from 1set of parents with infant
Call for Business, Golds & Emeralds—>Mad rush to the desk—>Most sent back
Call for Silvers & Sapphires—>Mad rush to the desk—>Most sent back

Didn’t witness the rest of boarding but wasn’t a full aircraft and everyone on board with 5 minutes to spare.

I know BA have Russian speakers that could help ease this but am sure there are other flights that are going to suffer the same.

On on a side note: No visa checks by G4S either landside or at the gate.

S

So how many times were you sent back then...? ;o) .. interesting. AA seem to do it so well.. glad that you got there on time and hope the rest of your journey was trouble free.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
hahaha. ;-)

merry christmas to you and all. i have 3 flights tomorrow. and 6 over the next 3 days. so i could do with some orderly boarding. but you are right, at the time of peace and love, bronzies are also humans.
I should hope so. I've got 1.5 days of silver left after an epic ex-EU-very-much-non-direct return flight to Asia in CW got me from 0 to 620 tier points in one fell swoop two weeks after my collection year started mid Nov 2015. Been living off that Silver status for just over two years (card expires end of Dec 2017). I celebrated by drinking quite a few glasses of champers in both the North and South lounges two days ago on my last (short-haul Y) flight of the year. Who knows when I'll be silver again. I reckon one flight, sitting forlornly somewhere near Itsu in LHR waiting for my flight to Basel will have me spending hours on Matrix again ...

So ... Merry Christmas from a Silver and Happy New Year from a human Bronzie.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:09 am

Shame that cayman4522 quickly disappeared. I hope this doesn't indicate there are problems or the gun has been jumped, so to speak.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:16 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

So how many times were you sent back then...? ;o) .. interesting. AA seem to do it so well.. glad that you got there on time and hope the rest of your journey was trouble free.
In light of all the potential weather related issues yesterday at GLA & LHR, both flights were on time and trouble free . Maybe good Juju because I waited to board when Silver was called

S
KeaneJohn and rapidex like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by binman
So the boarding farce continues unabated.
BA1440 today up to EDI boarding priority as follows
1. Hand baggage only passengers who can’t be bothered to now carry their overweight bags into the cabin and who now get to board first as they now choose to checkin the bags for free which would have cost Ł65 to do so 30 minutes earlier
Brilliant strategy BA
2. Those travelling with kids under 5. Don’t have an issue here but the 15 clingons who followed the single buggy was taking the piss.
3 club and Gold cards but only via automated gates that don’t work and create frustration. The boarding staff did not help by simply moving people between the errant gates and then making crass remarks about hand baggage. #Clueless
4. No idea what happened next but the procedures are farcical and if this the new standard at LHR then it stinks......
The new procedures have not yet been introduced. It appears they will commence in early/mid January.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Maybe it's been canned altogether?
1. It's Christmas: not a good time to introduce new concepts. We already know there was a hiccup earlier in December and not even BA is stupid enough to do this over the festive period.
2. Trust CWS. Seriously, he always knows what he's talking about.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My guess (and that's all it is) is implementation will be mid January.
(Subject to further hiccups of course)
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Had an interesting one on DFW-LHR (High J 744) on Wednesday. After assistance and families, First called, they waited a few minutes for about 10 people to board, then Club World Upper Deck only called (they specified rows 60-64). Very shortly after the rest of Club World was called. There was a gate agent at the entrance to the priority queue checking boarding passes before allowing people to proceed to the scanners. I didn't see him turn anyone away, but they could all have been eligible.

No mention of BA or Oneworld status this entire time.

I didn't see any more as I was boarding by now.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
No boarding by group for me on LHR-DME a few days ago. There is a space for Group on the boarding pass but it was empty. At boarding it was a free-for-all with both priority boarding and economy boarding taking place at the same time.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Any news on this? I'm having a BA flight on Thursday ex FRA and would love to see this in action, hoping for a more disciplined boarding procedure.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Any news on this? I'm having a BA flight on Thursday ex FRA and would love to see this in action, hoping for a more disciplined boarding procedure.
hi,

of course if you are bussed to the aircraft as I was on the BA901 from fra to lhr today you get to spend more time on the bus!

regards

tbs
1flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.