Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
We could have a guesting thread to arrange late TCP requests ...
But you won't be allowed to state which queue you are in or which gate you are at - just that you are in a gate area somewhere and you'll have to use PMs to work it out ...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Rather typical, BA tries to introduce improvements for status passengers and some FTers are already trying to find ways to abuse it!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seat1C
Just a thought, given I'm currently at Gatwick. How will this actually work here when everyone gets through to a common gate lounge. Will they actually have someone policing who gets from the gate lounge onto the plane? I've only ever seen that done once since the move to South Terminal - generally there is an undignified rush of folk.
Totally doable at minimal cost - a bit more Tensa by the "farm gate" then a member of staff eyeballing BPs.

Bet they can't be bothered though*

* I leave as an exercise for the reader to determine whether in this instance "they" means "the ground staff", "BA management" or "neither"...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Rather typical, BA tries to introduce improvements for status passengers and some FTers are already trying to find ways to abuse it!

I wonder if anyone will try to Tipp-ex the number 4 and change it to a 1 on their boarding pass. Nothing would surprise me these days!
Pandra likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:46 pm

deleted
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01

I wonder if anyone will try to Tipp-ex the number 4 and change it to a 1 on their boarding pass. Nothing would surprise me these days!
That's why paper boarding passes are way better...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by PETER01

No need for tipp-ex. Just have BP emailed to you and edit the pdf, then reprint ......
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Physci
No need for tipp-ex. Just have BP emailed to you and edit the pdf, then reprint ......
And if it is anything like my PDF creator at work you will end up on a completely different flight.😀
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS EB Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.
Is this the first time BA have officially stated that you can bring a guest with you through priority boarding? Whilst it's certainly common in practice, my understanding was that it is an informal custom rather than a formal policy. I have always thought however that one guest is the unofficial limit (as for the lounge), but clearly not...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I've just received my mobile BP for my flight JER>LGW tomorrow, it's now showing "Group" where "Tier" used to show although there isn't a group number in there yet. I presume that will arrive in a couple of day when it's launched.

Interesting to see the design change rolled out a little early.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Alate
Is this the first time BA have officially stated that you can bring a guest with you through priority boarding? Whilst it's certainly common in practice, my understanding was that it is an informal custom rather than a formal policy. I have always thought however that one guest is the unofficial limit (as for the lounge), but clearly not...
I think that is correct. I must admit to wondering how this is going down in GVA, the only out station to actually enforce the formality of the current policy, given the large status+CE groups there. They may need a Group 0: Gold AND travelling CE. However once FLY gets updated next year it will become invisibly formalised.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Think they should do F / GGL / Premier as the first group, after, or possibly along with priority boarding, and then GCH / OWE etc. on LH flights.
AA can do CK as an "unofficial" group so no reason why a small token offering can't be offered on BA. At the very least, it would differentiate between someone getting 7000+ TP a year and someone doing a TP run or two to maintain gold. Might even create a little more happiness amongst those of us with a slightly higher status level at practically no cost or real effort.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by xenole
Think they should do F / GGL / Premier as the first group, after, or possibly along with priority boarding, and then GCH / OWE etc. on LH flights.
AA can do CK as an "unofficial" group so no reason why a small token offering can't be offered on BA. At the very least, it would differentiate between someone getting 7000+ TP a year and someone doing a TP run or two to maintain gold. Might even create a little more happiness amongst those of us with a slightly higher status level at practically no cost or real effort.
Too much complication IMHO. I will be super happy with new system if it can be enforced. Besides, on most flights (not all!) there is only a handful of golds. Why create a special category for an extra 1-3 people per flight?

I assume you are also GGL (on mobile so cannot see), since I’m true FT spirit, you are suggesting a category be created only for you, not people below you ;-)

Dont think Prems would be too thrilled to board with GGL rabble ... Next thing they want a special category!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think that is correct. I must admit to wondering how this is going down in GVA, the only out station to actually enforce the formality of the current policy, given the large status+CE groups there. They may need a Group 0: Gold AND travelling CE. However once FLY gets updated next year it will become invisibly formalised.
Basel also handle boarding very well and always seem to apply the prority boarding groups with different queues for each level of Priority boader.
adrianlondon, rossmacd and florens like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Too much complication IMHO. I will be super happy with new system if it can be enforced. Besides, on most flights (not all!) there is only a handful of golds. Why create a special category for an extra 1-3 people per flight?

I assume you are also GGL (on mobile so cannot see), since I’m true FT spirit, you are suggesting a category be created only for you, not people below you ;-)

Dont think Prems would be too thrilled to board with GGL rabble ... Next thing they want a special category!
I don't feel it would be that complicated. An extra 20-30 secs to call and wait to see if there are takers, and if including the F cabin, probably 20 people max on a LH flight. Premier wise, can't see that many being around anyway.
Inviting F etc. to board at their leisure along with families etc. wouldn't really add any additional time to the process.
Since some BPs are stating GGL on them now, it is providing some differentiation already that can be utilised.

Someone will always be griping about something at the end of the day.
When flying AA, I don't stand there begrudging CKs from boarding before myself in first class. Hey, it's 10 seconds or so difference a lot of the time but they seem to appreciate it and as with a lot of us here, a little goes a long way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.