Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA have now told commercially important customers of this change. They also included a table of groupings, but it aligns with the information already provided, other than it doesn't directly specify that Group 5 is status-free Basic fare holders (though it does mention the existence of Group 5). The Reps are also making phone calls to keep us sweet about this.

Originally Posted by BA Trade
Passengers to board in allocated groups

From this December, we’ll be changing things to simplify boarding, reduce congestion at the departure gate and make things easier for your customers to get away on their travels.

We’ve made two important changes to our boarding pass We’ve added a ‘Group’ number, which will be automatically allocated to each passenger and reflects their boarding priority. The groups will be called to board in number order, reducing congestion and queuing at the gate. We’ve changed the ‘Gate closes’ time to a ‘Board at’ time, which is when your customers need to be at their departure gate. These changes are designed to help your customers get to the gate on time and board the aircraft more easily.

Executive Club priority boarding
Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld® equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes. Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
yb90 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:09 am

deleted
adrianlondon likes this.

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by markle
I think the point is that it is much, much easier to understand, especially if English isn't your first language or if you don't fly BA enough to know that Club World / Club Europe is business class.

What is simpler?

"Now boarding: First, Gold, One World Emerald"
"Now boarding: Group 1" (clearly printed on boarding pass)
Yes, I probably agree on that fact: it is simpler. Whether those who hover around waiting for the 1855 EDI-LHR gates to open are confused by the old system or understand it whilst being keen to be first in their group (and will continue to be) we'll have to see.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not strictly true but yes considering the vast majority of my 50 years plus of air travel has been in the economy cabin the boarding procedure is not something that I sweat over. Of course there was no such thing as airline status to upset the boarding procedure when I was young. No air bridges either come to think of it so you'd all have to wait and be marched across the tarmac to the aircraft steps anyway....and head lice rather than gate lice were of far more concern.

That's how boarding was done until they started to board from the back first which I thought seemed to work okay. This group method sounds a bit too complicated to me but we'll have to wait and see how it goes. As long as I reach my seat before departure I'll be happy.
@HIDDY - have only just spotted this. Just a brief word to say thanks for taking time to respond in such detail ^
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA have now told commercially important customers of this change. They also included a table of groupings, but it aligns with the information already provided, other than it doesn't directly specify that Group 5 is status-free Basic fare holders (though it does mention the existence of Group 5). The Reps are also making phone calls to keep us sweet about this.
updated on Speedbirdclub.com as well: https://www.speedbirdclub.com/mediaL...-27Nov2017.pdf
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Definitely support this change (remains to be seen how it will work at some of those LGW gates but can't be worse than it is now) although, as has been said upthread, not sure how status-less HBO customers in Group 5 are going to take to being told that they need to check their luggage due to there being no more room...
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAS EB Gold
Now that I have finally created an account I am looking forward to moaning about this when inevitably nothing changes in practice
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I don't see how this helps with the congested access to priority boarding though. Whether its Tier (G/S/B) or Group (1/2/3 ) those further down the order can still block the entrance, unless it's a separate line for each and they are processes one by one until empty. Something like Gate 6 (IIRC) @ EDI will still be in a narrow corner with lots of milling around.
some airlines do separate lines which is indeed probably the best option. Interestingly, that would likely be possible at T5.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:31 am

"Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together."
This looks like a change- whole party can use priority boarding? I'm looking forwards to trying to benefit from that at GVA!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by aardvarkdave
This looks like a change- whole party can use priority boarding? I'm looking forwards to trying to benefit from that at GVA!
I'm looking forward to picking, say 7 group 5 people from the queue / mob, and letting them board with me in front of other status passengers
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm looking forward to picking, say 7 group 5 people from the queue / mob, and letting them board with me in front of other status passengers
Good luck with that plan! Although if enforcement is as bad as everyone expects it to be, you will probably get away with it!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by xenole
We could have a guesting thread to arrange late TCP requests ...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
We could have a guesting thread to arrange late TCP requests ...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Just a thought, given I'm currently at Gatwick. How will this actually work here when everyone gets through to a common gate lounge. Will they actually have someone policing who gets from the gate lounge onto the plane? I've only ever seen that done once since the move to South Terminal - generally there is an undignified rush of folk.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
seat1C ... they have been segregating 'Premium Pax' in JER for a while now, either using Tensa barriers to dedicated seating areas or, at Gate 10, a separate adjacent Gate waiting Room. I could see the Tensa solution being workable for Groups 1/2, with the BP checker directing people to the apropriate area. The larger l/h Gates at LGW tend to have separate queues for the BP check anyway, ao it should be OK.

Next outbound LGW l/h on the 9th, sadly, so unless they're doing a discreet test it will be the usual mass charge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.