Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think the main hope is that it means that pax with the lowest place in the pecking order are most likely to have their compliant hand luggage checked in if there is not enough room. We have had several threads where status pax complained that their luggage was checked in despite being compliant, but if things are enforced properly now, this should presumably occur much less frequently.
Absolutely right - and the grouping makes it very easy to identify who those people are.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wingtip428
So gate closure with a jetbridge is now -12. I don't know if the bussing time has also changed... however I think the boarding passes still say "gate closes" at -20?
The BP doesn't say anything any more. There is still a sign clearly displayed in one of the lounges though (apologies I don't have a photo) saying gates close at -20, so publicly BA is still willing to acknowledge that this is policy.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is there a reason why boarding passes still have to be so large ?
If you can get every airline and airport in the world to agree on a new size, then no. Until then, shared equipment (e.g. printers and scanners) at the majority of airports requires a certain commonality of standards across all carriers.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by cayman4522
A morning smile for all of you who have not seen this

https://www.simonarmitage.com/thank-you-for-waiting/
Excellent LOL
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
V funny, thank you! ^
I found it rather haunting...but yes, with a mild streak of humour thrown in for us "shiny obsessed" folks..

tb
T8191 and cayman4522 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
The BP doesn't say anything any more. There is still a sign clearly displayed in one of the lounges though (apologies I don't have a photo) saying gates close at -20, so publicly BA is still willing to acknowledge that this is policy.

The boarding pass now shows 'Boarding time' instead of gate close time. BA were the only carrier using a Gate Close time (some use both but we currently do not have that functionality) . We all want boarding finished as soon as possible as it helps drive punctuality. The sooner we get the doors closed, the sooner you can be on your way and yes coaching does close at -20.

If you can get every airline and airport in the world to agree on a new size, then no. Until then, shared equipment (e.g. printers and scanners) at the majority of airports requires a certain commonality of standards across all carriers.
Spot on.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Just of the GLA LGW @13.30

boarfib gold, silver and CE. Then bronze then two sets of rows depending on seat row.

very orderly.

Gate crew were pre check in the line and enforcing it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
On Long haul
Group 1 will be Gold/Emerald/First.
Group 2 will be Silver/Sapphire/Club.
Group 3 will be Bronze/Ruby/Premium Economy.
Groups 4 and 5 will be economy.
On Short haul
Group 1 will be Gold/Emerald/Club Europe.
Group 2 will be Silver/Sapphire.
Group 3 will be Bronze/Ruby.
Group 4 is Economy.
Group 5 is Economy customers who have purchased a hand baggage only fare.
Not dissimilar to what they are supposed to have at present, but which BA have been completely unable to implement consistently/at all.
T8191 and streetmagix like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Boarding groups are great but as everyone else says they need to be enforced to work, somehow I don't see that happening.

Where I have seen them work, TK work really well, Group 1 is premium class passengers, there aren't really enough people in the premium cabins to cause a problem or need to subdivide the group so except for top end DYKWIA golds who feel entitled to board first but don't get that priority over others everyone is quite speedy and it works.

Group 2 is gold, 3 is silver and then no status by row numbers.

TK really do enforce this especially at IST and it works like a dream, the flow of people coming aboard is smooth and you rarely see congestion in the aisles - though of course they also police hand baggage very stricly too which helps no end.

I do wonder if hand baggage was policed would anyone feel the need to rush aboard?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:41 am

potential issue: group information not shown on boarding passes issued by other airlines
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
I would love to see a system that simply wouldn't let a boarding pass be scanned until the group was called
They could introduce e-gates that open a side door to a holding pen for all those folks not listening to the instructions and releasing the holding pen only when everyone else has boarded.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As ScruttonStreet mentions, this doesn't appear that big a change from BA's current stated policy. What needs to change is for consistency to be brought in, so this is actually a change in how local and remote agents are trained and compliance is enforced more than anything else. Call my a cynic, but I'm not sure that the BA management will be looking at it this way.
^. It's very annoying when the boarding process depends on the mood of the gate agent.

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
My experience over the last year or so is that on long haul flights BA usually call forward families with children first and often this is half the flight.
I had a BA agent actively encouraging anyone traveling with a minor to board first. Even parents with two older teens waited around and the gate agent walked over to them to tell them that they could board now.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I had a BA agent actively encouraging anyone traveling with a minor to board first. Even parents with two older teens waited around and the gate agent walked over to them to tell them that they could board now.
Not necessarily the case here, but we all need to be aware that pre-boarding is not just for those with young children or visible disabilities. Many people have hidden disabilities that also require some additional assistance but we wouldn’t always know this.

I would not try try to get pre-boarding with my oldest daughter (8 but looks more like 12!) but she would easily be entitled to it due to her disability. I can more or less get her to wait for priority boarding but woe betide anybody who attempts to push in front of her. She is likely to engage in a full on DYKWIA moment. Group boarding should help this but if they make the numbers too big and she sees a number 4 on somebody’s boarding pass next to her in the queue and she is group 2 she will say something - and rather loudly!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
potential issue: group information not shown on boarding passes issued by other airlines
Probably sorted out by handwriting the group number at the gate. And the same for those who are with someone in a higher group - at least until FLY software is updated...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
On AA who also operate a group system I think they make announcements at the gate that if you have no group number to join a specific group. I guess if it is an issue you could always take the opportunity at check-in/lounge/gate to get a bp printed by BA which should have a group number on it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm guessing, but those passing via Flight Connections could have their boarding passes reprinted by the BA agent there, should it be missing. Doesn't assist those going via landside but presumably they are a minority. I guess there is always the AA fallback: if there is no Group shown on your boarding pass then you are in Group 5!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
She is likely to engage in a full on DYKWIA moment. Group boarding should help this but if they make the numbers too big and she sees a number 4 on somebody’s boarding pass next to her in the queue and she is group 2 she will say something - and rather loudly!
I have always wondered why when it comes to children or those needing extra assistance/time to board this can't be done at the tail end of the boarding process.

I've seen it happen at a couple of outstations where those requiring extra assistance were asked to wait until the very end and in some situations this makes sense - there isn't the pressure of having everyone else behind you plus if worked well into FLY it would in theory be possible to give everyone in this category a precise boarding time and minimize waiting at the gate (and subsequent waiting around on the plane before close up and push back)

I guess there are pros and cons to both approaches.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.