Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Completely agree with rossmacd I’ve got a T3 F in December which is usually hit and miss so looking forward to seeing how it pans out. It definitely is an improvement
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Priority boarding group for common PNR

Originally Posted by MPH1980
I don't have a good answer - but remember that priority boarding entitlement is technically for the individual only.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges

(Note the differentiation between lounge access and priority boarding/check in).

BA do generally allow you and a guest through fast track and priority boarding ... but it's not actually written anywhere AFAIK.
Up to now no-one has stopped mrs. firstlight (SCH) from boarding with me. It will be interesting to see if group 2 people are allowed to accompany group 1. It is not hard to imagine the algorithm to give the boarding group of the highest status PAX to others on the same PNR to avoid any arguments at the gate.

We will see what happens at an outstation and report back. We are flying back in early December from MCO. MCO boarding is generally chaotic anyway because of the number of tiny passengers needing assistance, the fact it's generally a holiday route with a lot of inexperienced travellers, the restricted gate area at gate 80 plus the need to collect duty free on the jetway. There's no First on this flight so technically group 1 is GGL/GCH travelling in CW. So it will be interesting to see if groups 1 and 2 are called together or separately.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:48 am

Is this a worsening of the situation for F passengers? The last 3 F flights I have taken have boarded F before Golds.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Some
A step in the right direction, definitely. Can't help but feel F should board before the sea of OWEs on long haul though if BA has any interest in improving the F product at all.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Is this a worsening of the situation for F passengers? The last 3 F flights I have taken have boarded F before Golds.
One could argue that those paying for F (one way or another) should have priority over OAPs in J who scrape Gold with well-managed l/h holidays. That's why people pay stupid money to fly F

FIRST should be FIRST.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Who knows as all we have is speculation on how the system may work.

Originally Posted by T8191
One could argue that those paying for F (one way or another) should have priority over OAPs in J who scrape Gold with well-managed l/h holidays. That's why people pay stupid money to fly F

FIRST should be FIRST.
Or at any time of their choosing.

The pre boarding would be more of a concern when half a dozen people board with just one person. Surely a restriction should be applied on the numbers in this type of situation as there will always be those who seek uk take advantage.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Boarding F first is good and well, but when you've got 80 people crowding the tensa barriers at the LHR T5C gates for example, you can't get through in the 5-10 secs you're given before the next call. At that point, half the plane pushes forward and it's a free for all.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Never really understood the problems people have with the boarding process. As long as you board halfway through the process you always get overhead space. For those boarding last presumably this new system is not going to make any difference.

I suspect this is a bit of the old British class system....
firstlight likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
This is a really positive step but agree it must be consistently enforced to be meaningful. I hope they've also remembered to configure the new LHR self-boarding gates to reject those why try and board before their group is called.

The issue with the current system is there's often a long queue of people in the single "priority" line when I arrive from the lounge. On EDI flights that can be 50% of the aircraft and although I'm entitled to be at the front (as Gold), I don't feel I can push in and end up joining the end of the line behind the mass of Silver and Bronze customers. With the new system, I want plenty of signage and announcements confirming that group X should be pushing to the front, reassuring them that its OK to push in, and let everyone else know they should stand back and make room.

For those trying to board early, strict enforcement and the walk of shame for those trying to break the rules, should be enough to change behaviours.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is an expectation of enforcement at least from the Waterside end. I suspect for those European destinations with quick loading times it may not happen in some/many out-stations (particularly if buses are involved), but the point about group system is that it breaks away the confusion about who is supposed to queue where: it's just Group 2 or whatever and it's on your boarding pass. I haven't heard anything about guesting yet, which was always an unofficial dispensation, but in theory if it is boarding pass led as intended then there would be no guesting.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The [curiously] disciplined AA pax seem to conform to a simple system with 2 lines ... one Priority and one General Boarding. They both tend to hover, but they don't create a crush: they just wait for their Group to be called. As a 'Group 1' pax, I've never had an issue with crowding. Perhaps the AA Ground Agents are more assertive? Certainly a lack of assertiveness, consistency and indeed clarity of communication is something that bedevils BA at LHR/LGW - outstations IME tend to do it much better than on home turf (LAX, IAD, CPT, assorted Caribbean airports and, indeed, MLA and JER in recent experience.)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by madfish
Who knows as all we have is speculation on how the system may work...
What we do know now from CIHY is that Group 1 is F, Golds and Emeralds and that a group is a group. Therefore from what I can see the system will work with Group 1 being called, and that includes Golds, Emeralds and F class passengers at the same time. A maximum of 14-17 people boarding increases to who knows how many, 40? 50? 80?.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is an expectation of enforcement at least from the Waterside end. I suspect for those European destinations with quick loading times it may not happen in some/many out-stations (particularly if buses are involved), but the point about group system is that it breaks away the confusion about who is supposed to queue where: it's just Group 2 or whatever and it's on your boarding pass. I haven't heard anything about guesting yet, which was always an unofficial dispensation, but in theory if it is boarding pass led as intended then there would be no guesting.
Children still allowed to board with the parents' group, I would expect?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lefly
Children still allowed to board with the parents' group, I would expect?
Yes, typically they would be in the same boarding group anyway, it's rare for them to be on separate PNRs, but if not in the same group then they would have to board with their parents. Preboarding of those "who need more time" will continue too.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
I’ve just done a dozen flights on Delta in the last 2 weeks.
They have zoned boarding. Despite “gate lice” as the forum refers to the peri-gate swarm of pax, their boarding process sort of works... because:

1. They enforce it. With a pause between groups. And rejection of blaggers.

p.s. I think First should board before Gold (if they are already at the gate)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.