Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Group 1 in that scenario would be "just" Gold and Emeralds. On many (most?) flights that would be the greater number of passengers anyway.
Thanks - maybe "just" was the wrong word!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Over on the Group Boarding Experiences thread, poster florens asked (with what seemed total bemusement !) why it should take “several months” for the BP of a non-status pax travelling with say, a GCH, to reflect guest privileges in terms of group number alignment.

(am conscious that the other thread is intended for live / current experiences of the new system, hence my response here).

It can take “several months” because BA still moves at a much slower pace than other large airlines where any change is concerned - whether it be (something as basic as) new linen, a new way of presenting business class catering, a decision on new seating - or an improved boarding process.

This is not just my view, based on personal experience of many different carriers around the world. It’s the strongly-held view of CEO Alex Cruz ; a guy whose particular area of interest and expertise (or so we’re told) just happens to be IT systems / digital technology ......and all that surrounds it.

In his lengthy ‘Skift’ interview - which is now already over a year old - Cruz was very open in identifying what he saw as the problem where implementation of change is concerned :

I’ve also found that we are very slow at managing our business. Slow and really not agile. That’s one of the big things that I’m doing at the moment.”

Make sure everybody understands why we need to actually take decisions quickly and actually take them to market quickly. There are a lot of people around us that are doing that, including some really large airlines that are doing that much better than us.”

We’re prisoners, in a way, of really old technology which is very difficult to change. We [did] a little check-in system change this summer and it was torturous for 12 days

How do you reconcile it? Focus, focus, focus. Quick, quick, quick, quick — no ........, just get things done.”

In short - and this goes to the very heart of things - Cruz seems clear as to what the problem is. He also seems to think he has identified how it should be solved. What we have yet to see is tangible evidence that he knows how to make things happen more effectively, and more speedily.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ok the usual disclaimer, I haven't scoured the whole thread so apologies in advance if this has been raised earlier.

What are people's thoughts about commenting to gate agents when the new boarding procedure hasn't been correctly followed? I'm not talking about having a DYKWIA moment, but I feel that indirect feedback will take longer and perhaps be less effective than a quiet word at the time.

Good idea or wrong approach?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
Ok the usual disclaimer, I haven't scoured the whole thread so apologies in advance if this has been raised earlier.

What are people's thoughts about commenting to gate agents when the new boarding procedure hasn't been correctly followed? I'm not talking about having a DYKWIA moment, but I feel that indirect feedback will take longer and perhaps be less effective than a quiet word at the time.

Good idea or wrong approach?
It really depends, for me, on what you mean by 'not followed correctly' means.

The fact that (for example) group 1 and 2 were called forward together? Don't bother - get on the plane - and just flag it to CS later. You are just going to annoy them by holding up boarding while you say something.

The fact that someone decides to call group 5 first and work backwards? Sure! Bring it up!

The fact that the process doesn't happen at all? Well - it's not going to change now ... so feel free to say "I thought the new group process was rolled out here" as your boarding pass is scanned and see what response you get.

The fact the wording of the announcement isn't precisely what it should be? Ignore it and move on.

Keep in mind there's 100+ people behind you who would also like to get on the plane :-)
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I mainly mean either the lump-em-all-together approach, (golds, silvers and anyone who walks on two legs) or not enforcing the priority lanes and letting people through because they can't be bothered to send them back.

My thinking is the idea and the process is a good one, but only if followed correctly and enforced. If gate agents see that we are invested in making this work then perhaps, just perhaps, they will make more of an effort themselves if they haven't previously.

Of course it's a fine line between a constructive comment and coming off like an ....
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Has Group Boarding made it to LGW or LHR T3 yet...

If so, how is it being enforced when gate lounges are used?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ianwall
Has Group Boarding made it to LGW or LHR T3 yet...

If so, how is it being enforced when gate lounges are used?
I flew to MCO from LGW on Sunday 11th (BA2037)

Boarding by group was used.

I was group 1 and it seemed more streamlined than before, in the sense that there was not a rush to the boarding door. LGW South gates are those gates with the holding area which ends up bunching up all passengers and typically used to become a bit of a free for all when boarding was announced. I didn't see the same rush as the announcements were quite specific about which groups would be boarded.

Groups 1 & 2 boarded first, not sure on the order after that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Went through this at Gate 5 at LHR today

Despite being 5 groups there were only 3 queues

Group 1
Group 2&3
Group 4&5

I was in group 2. Loads of people in group 1. Nobody appeared to check that they were really group 1 people
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:16 am

FCO to LHR today was preboarding, groups 1,2 & 3 together, group 4 then group 5.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Went through this at Gate 5 at LHR today

Despite being 5 groups there were only 3 queues

Group 1
Group 2&3
Group 4&5

I was in group 2. Loads of people in group 1. Nobody appeared to check that they were really group 1 people
It is important for everyone to remember that group 1 can be a significant amount of the plane - particularly on certain days or certain flights.

There can be as many as 30 GCH/Emeralds on a simple european flight ... add into that that (say) 40% might bring a guest ... add on top of that those in CE who aren't a GCH ... and you could be at 60 people in group 1.

My experience so far has been that the BPs are being checked as people go through - so rejections tend to happen at the desk rather than prior to that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I appreciate that many of the people in group 1 were supposed to be there

It was the self boarding machines (or whatever they are called) at gate 5, nobody was checking boarding passes unless the machine can check what group is being boarded and only let those people through
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It was the self boarding machines (or whatever they are called) at gate 5, nobody was checking boarding passes unless the machine can check what group is being boarded and only let those people through
The machines don't do that, though I guess it can't be tricky to programme that in. Their core purpose is the biometric validation and that's the focus of their design. Ideally one of the two staff operating Group Boarding should have come forward during the announcements and glanced at the BPs in Group 1.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980

My experience so far has been that the BPs are being checked as people go through - so rejections tend to happen at the desk rather than prior to that.
Sounds great. Until you read reports from other FT-ers, such as HFHFFlyer, who has just posted over on the ‘experiences’ thread about his ZRH departure - where a) nobody was checked, and b) nobody was rejected.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:10 pm

I appreciate that many of the people in group 1 were supposed to be there

Originally Posted by subject2load

Sounds great. Until you read reports from other FT-ers, such as HFHFFlyer, who has just posted over on the ‘experiences’ thread about his ZRH departure - where a) nobody was checked, and b) nobody was rejected.
If you go back and read my post - my point was that the checking isn't necessarily a visible person walking up and down the line and that you can't take a long Group 1 queue to mean it's not a valid long group 1 queue. That was all I was trying to say.

Now in the two cases we've got here - it looks like checks should have been done - and that's a failure.

But equally - I've gone through this process ~10 times now and I've seen rejections and BP checks almost every time, but then I don't fly domestic generally so I don't use the automatic machines!

I've also seen (as you'll note from the experience thread) - a complete mess at CDG where group boarding was announced, but with no indication where to queue or what to do.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

@MPH1980 - Thanks for coming back with additional context and your perspective is totally sensible/valid.

The (essential, IMO) point I was making is that we continue to see dramatic levels of inconsistency in both monitoring and processing, and that’s obviously far from good.
All gate staff know precisely what the new Group numbers are there for ; and yet some of them - for whatever reason - see fit to make either a half-baked effort, or sometimes no effort whatever, to apply them.

The consensus from day one was always that this will only be a worthwhile change IF it is effectively policed and implemented. Otherwise, we could end up with a system that mirrors the way in which BoB is currently handled : such that, on many/most flights, those pax wanting to buy a sandwich can do so - but it’s still not something you can rely on happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.