Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From what I can make out, they are not widely implementing it yet. I'm only getting limited information about it. AMS appears to be doing it with gusto, which doesn't surprise me (it's a pity they didn't also try GVA), LHR is only doing it for some flights, and my guess is that the relevant project resource needs to be there to watch the outcome. We've had some interesting experiences in the other thread but it's probably next week (Tuesday 16 January I think) that the real test of this will become apparent. I really doubt it can be done perfectly in all locations. The bus issue is the obvious one, but the layout of some terminals and gates (e.g. LGW's biometrics) will mean some compromises will have to be made.
I'll be flying with Mrs firstlight next week from LHR, she's group 2 I'm group 1 and we're travelling WT+ longhaul (we are of course hoping for an OPUP), will be interesting to see whether we are allowed to board together or if she is cast into the outermost darkness that is group 2 :-)
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Checked in for domestic connection at NCL to LHR and BP shows Group 1 for LHR-OSL - lets see what happens at LHR and will update post later.
Well that didn't exactly go to plan at gate A6 today - four agents standing around without a clue what to do and large queues at Priority Boarding regardless of group number and the same at General Boarding. Eventually got their act together and checked boarding passes of people waiting and asking them to move if they weren't group1 - but then allowed people through with Group 2 passes and asked them to stand at one side - you can guess what happened. Early days I suppose.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Nothing in Gib tonight on boarding pass other than 'group' without a number, and usual CE and BAEC going first. But it's now gone tech and what with the wait for the engineer from Malaga, the new process could catch up with us..
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Another odd thing regarding groups on BPs:

I was returning to UK on 8th Jan BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS. In BKK, the CX checkin staff printed boarding passes and my LHR-AMS said 'group 5', although I was in CE.

I didn't bother to query it, I was most likely going pre-board anyway. However, I lost my BP somewhere in LHR (9th Jan) and when the lounge staff printed another, the new BP had 'group 1'
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Forgive me if I can’t see this on the iPhone but I’ve checked both threads, both wikis, should or could there be a description of the new boarding group system for anyone new or wanting to know the exact process?
I've embedded Globaliser's table from post 533 into the Wiki, it is indeed buried mid thread.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've embedded Globaliser's table from post 533 into the Wiki, it is indeed buried mid thread.
Thanks, c-w-s - although the credit really goes to chris1979 who originally posted it. I only tarted up the formatting a bit.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Yes, if there is space for 5 separate lines then people have to make a choice of which line to join, whereas AA has 2 lines, priority and non priority, with consequent congestion. However what was reported in AMS yesterday was interesting - a pre-announcement saying "clear the area please / remain seated" and then calling the Groups clearly batch by batch. With an interloper thrown out from Group 1, it probably deterred others from jumping into (e.g.) Group 2 ahead of time. The 5 separate lines simply won't work in congested airports. Looking at gate 3 at Newcastle, it's quite a reasonable size, but I can't see how they could fit in 5 lines there, let alone behind all the pillars at EDI, and the corridors of MAN.
I agree. part of the problem is that BA actually has 'queues' because they have those rope things. AA is less roped hence less a case of needing to push through a small funnel even when it is congested. so ironically, not having a funnel-like roped priority queue might help as it stops people from forming a queue (irrespective of their boarding order if they qualify for some sort of 'priority boarding'.)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
I would be interested to know from the experiences here (or if BA has commented) whether the “board at” time (which I think is now being shown on boarding passes?) is being stuck to?

Where priority boarding is badly enforced, I would think there’s increased benefit in turning up as late as possible.

Where it’s well enforced, the “board at” time becomes more relevant because those who like to take their seats early for whatever reason can do so without standing around for too long or having to fight a scrum.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL
This was in place at LAX on Friday. It was equally as shambolic as usual, thus a pointless difference. As expected, really.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by alwaysTravelling
Sorry it was not as expected. I am a gold, so expected Group 1, but it was a HBO fare through Egencia travel agency and it showed Group 5. I then app upgraded to CE at check-in but it remained at Group 5 on the boarding pass when I was given another boarding pass at bag drop despite it saying Club Europe on hte boarding pass. Assuming it stayed Group 5 because it was a travel agency booking though it should have been overriden because I of being Gold?.

Boarding itself was not implemented by group at the and was A10so bused at T5, I just wondered why it was showing Group 5 despite cabin and status.
Just from my experience this morning, I had a HBO booking through Egencia, and am a Gold card, and it did show group 1 on my mobile boarding pass. Could be worth trying to link your BAEC number in your Egencia profile so it auto adds to the booking.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Yes, but the atuomated gates are hit and miss. Lately more miss than hit. FT can be quite busy though with passengers queuing all the way out into the second floor corridor.

I’ve seen a few comments on here about T3 FT , is not much of a time saver ? Will be experiencing it first hand next week , want to make sure I’ve left enough time for a lounge hop!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Boarding by group at EDI today, a change from last Tuesday.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Had a group number on my BP but there was no group boarding on the LHR-MUC at 7am today. There were three lines at the gate (B44) but only one was used (at least up to the point at which I boarded). Boarding sequence was CE/Gold/Emerald first, then Silver/Sapphire
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Had a group on my BP for last few weeks (I fly every Tue and Thu). At EDI this morning in the priority Q they made sure everyone was in Group 1, 2 or 3. So 1-3 got treated equally, called at the same time.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Had a group on my BP for last few weeks (I fly every Tue and Thu). At EDI this morning in the priority Q they made sure everyone was in Group 1, 2 or 3. So 1-3 got treated equally, called at the same time.
If this is the way they are going to work priority boarding at such places then the process is unchanged apart for the names of the groups. Not encouraging really. I fear the same useless process at MAN that we’ve suffered for years.
rossmacd and florens like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.