Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
You're assuming they even use the numbers.

They'll likely just use Gold/Silver etc.

M
We're all full of cynicism aren't we ...

But then we also have BA's history of implementation to look at.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I hope this doesn’t mean they do away with the priority boarding channel. I tend to get to the gate quite late and I wouldn’t like to be stuck in a queue behind those who have been called in Group 4 and 5 just because I was late leaving the lounge.

The main difference seems to me the splitting of non-status economy passengers into two groups? Otherwise the change from how it should be done today isn’t that great? I guess implementation is key here.
arnie. likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As ScruttonStreet mentions, this doesn't appear that big a change from BA's current stated policy. What needs to change is for consistency to be brought in, so this is actually a change in how local and remote agents are trained and compliance is enforced more than anything else. Call my a cynic, but I'm not sure that the BA management will be looking at it this way.

Most of my 100 flights this year have been on AA, and I can confirm that the boarding process is highly consistent and works much better than the current BA system. Aside from agent compliance, AA's main issue is that a lot of people still don't understand the system and just try to board whenever (but I have priority is a common thing you hear from Group 4s) and when you consider some of BA's customers you can only imagine that is going to be a lot more difficult.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:04 am

Surprised really as to how naive you all are - do you really expect this to be implemented and enforced any better by BA gate agents than the current system. The priority channel and general gate area will still be ram packed with people in no particular boarding order and the usual chaos will ensue.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I strongly suspect the call will simply become "Groups 1, 2 and 3 are welcome to board now"
Unless the system allocates a set number of people per group, on flights where there are fewer status or passengers in Premium cabins then it may be easier to call some groups together especially if the first group has only 5 passengers, for example.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I hope this doesn’t mean they do away with the priority boarding channel. I tend to get to the gate quite late and I wouldn’t like to be stuck in a queue behind those who have been called in Group 4 and 5 just because I was late leaving the lounge.

The main difference seems to me the splitting of non-status economy passengers into two groups? Otherwise the change from how it should be done today isn’t that great? I guess implementation is key here.
Good point about the priority lane.
When I was blue and in Y the row numbers were split into two groups starting with the aft rows first (L/H).
I don’t know if this is still the case
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DelTroon
In the latest edition of the BA magazine Up to Speed: "British Airways will be changing the way it boards aircraft with the introduction of group boarding in December. This method has ben used all around the world by many airlines and aligns BA with partners American Airlines and Iberia. Group boarding simplifies the process, making it easier for customers to understand the boarding sequence at the gate.

At the check-in stage, the customer will be put into a group number dependant on their cabin of travel and frequent-flyer status. This number will then be displayed prominently on the boarding pass, printed or mobile. Customers who are entitled will continue to be offered priority boarding for both long-haul and short-haul domestic."
Hi DelTroon, thanks for the official BA info.

I tracked down the original article and hope you don’t mind me adding the closing paragraph which appears to have been omitted (purely in error, I’m sure ) from your quote :

We look forward to the introduction of this new boarding arrangement and feel confident that with the mutual co-operation of passengers and staff it will, over time, prove even more disorganised than our current chaotic procedures”
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Unless the system allocates a set number of people per group, on flights where there are fewer status or passengers in Premium cabins then it may be easier to call some groups together especially if the first group has only 5 passengers, for example.
But it causes confusion.

The reason you get massive priority boarding queues on BA is because people don't know what to expect and aren't sent back when they queue too early.

In the last year I've heard "First, Club, Gold", "First, Club, Gold, OWE", "First, Club, Gold, Silver", "First, Gold", "First, Club, Gold, Silver, OWE, OWS" and all variations of the same when including bronze as the first call announcement made. So if there's a queue forming - what should a silver do if they want to be on early? Simple - get in the queue because you never know.

But in very few situations have I actually seen it enforced reliably by the desk agents - and by that I also include circumstances where one enforces it and the other doesn't. I've genuinely seen one agent refuse someone, the person move out of the way to be beckoned over by a second agent who lets them through.

If the calls are clear, if the calls are structured and if the calls are the same - all the frequent flyers know where they are and what they are doing. Oh - and if the agent who is making the calls waits until the queue is actually short before calling the next group that helps too.

Look at AA - they call CK even when there aren't any on the flight. Makes it clear there's something there for CK.
LCSinTexas and madfish like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
I strongly suspect the call will simply become "Groups 1, 2 and 3 are welcome to board now"
I'd guess this will become the case. Or that there will be a wait of approximately 5 seconds between Groups, as often happens concerning assistance / priority / general.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
If this is introduced in the same way AA police their priority boarding then I will be very happy on my EDI flight north every couple of weeks!

I suspect, as other have, that the call will be could Groups 1, 2 and 3 board ....oh yes mis XXXX of course you can board now with your bronze card despite me not calling.... in fact let me hold this Gold CE individual back so that you can dump your bags in her overhead locker......... is what will really happen!!!

aks120
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Surprised really as to how naive you all are - do you really expect this to be implemented and enforced any better by BA gate agents than the current system. The priority channel and general gate area will still be ram packed with people in no particular boarding order and the usual chaos will ensue.
The problem we have at present is that most times everyone with 'priority' is called to board at the same time which results in a scrum. If this new system is a group boarding system similar to the AA one, then we should be boarded in group order - Group 1 first followed by Group 2 etc. If the BPs have the boarding group prominently displayed that should make it easier to identify who should board and in what order.

If the gate agents become lazy and simply announce 'groups 1, 2 and 3 may board now' then we will have exactly the same problem as we have today.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder if there is simply enough room at some of the gates, in the shopping centre that is T5A, to do this effectively?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
But it causes confusion.

The reason you get massive priority boarding queues on BA is because people don't know what to expect and aren't sent back when they queue too early.

In the last year I've heard "First, Club, Gold", "First, Club, Gold, OWE", "First, Club, Gold, Silver", "First, Gold", "First, Club, Gold, Silver, OWE, OWS" and all variations of the same when including bronze as the first call announcement made. So if there's a queue forming - what should a silver do if they want to be on early? Simple - get in the queue because you never know.
My last BA flight was a longhaul from LHR to somewhere in the US and the F cabin couldn't yet be boarded. They therefore started by boarding CW with Golds, but from one line which also had a bunch of non-status people in Economy in it, some of who were clearly boarding, some of who were just blocking the entrance to the boarding area. It was total chaos, so as a Silver in WT+ I just decided to board in the CW/ Gold group and got on without any problems. The gate staff could clearly see that it was total chaos, that no sense of priority was being enforced and that many people were getting into arguments because of their poor organization but decided not to do anything about it.

And that's the kind of thing that happens at BA's base where they have proper control over the staff.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:26 am

This is genuinely an improvement - we should be praising BA here. I am surprised at some of the cynicism. AA offer a very structured boarding process, that is enforced rigidly in the overwhelming majority of times (in my experience). In fairness, I do not get to see what happens after Group 1, but even still it seems AA is very rigid in this.

Provided BA can implement and consistently apply this, then it really will make the boarding process better.

Well done BA, and I hope this is a positive we can all be happy with ^
T8191, Tobias-UK, mikeyfly and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I am very curious to see what difference there will be comparing to the present system.
I just have a Y short haul flight via LHR on Dec 24th...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.