Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
A couple of thoughts

People will still hover around the gates as even within a group, they want to be near the front to maximise the chance to get overhead locker space so if group 4 was economy, that still might be a large group and pushing your way to the front, hovering near the entrance blocking people could still mean the difference between getting your bag on board and not. This is not helped by there not being a large enough seated waited area, if passengers are already standing they may as well hover.

If the boarding ends up being front to back either by design or the way the fare structure and status distribute, then it won't get rid of the annoying case of people in forward rows, slowing sorting themselves out, apparently incapable of stepping into the seat to allow anyone though and a queue of static passengers, looking hopefully at the empty space behind but unable to get to it. Where I've flown long haul economy on other airlines and boarding by row is strictly enforced, then letting the back on first works because they are not in anyone's way while they sort themselves out take their seats.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by criso
A couple of thoughts

People will still hover around the gates as even within a group, they want to be near the front to maximise the chance to get overhead locker space so if group 4 was economy, that still might be a large group and pushing your way to the front, hovering near the entrance blocking people could still mean the difference between getting your bag on board and not. This is not helped by there not being a large enough seated waited area, if passengers are already standing they may as well hover.
LHR C-Gates seem to have a few issues with space.
Many a time I've arrived a bit early and stood against the wall. Over the next few minutes, more people arrive, see a lot of seats are occupied (or they might have to sit next to someone), so they stand as close to the tensa barrier entrance as possible.
Eventually, usually 10 minutes or so later than expected, they then start to call people to board and it's a free for all where you've no idea who's who and you don't always want to be shoving people with the same priority as you out the way to get to the front.
Then they call economy etc. and they end up boarding 5x as quick as your queue.

Would be nice if they used the 4 lanes on some gates, but the whole airport doesn't seem to have been designed to facilitate orderly queuing.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I find Southwest Airlines excellent at the group boarding. They have "lolly-pop" style signs where you stand relevant to your boarding pass. It's orderly and works very well.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I find Southwest Airlines excellent at the group boarding. They have "lolly-pop" style signs where you stand relevant to your boarding pass. It's orderly and works very well.
They don't have the "Well, I'm flying F therefore I am more important than anyone else. Being in F, there will be no others who would possibly have the audacity to infiltrate my sanctum" sort of mentality.
Or GCHs who believe the hype behind their "exclusive" status.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mrvincent
I’ve read a few comments similar but after this morning’s fiasco at EDI (Gold called, people move out of line to overtake those not moving forward, Silver called 20seconds later, there’s now 2 queues moving into priority, Bronze called 20 seconds after that and there’s now 3 parallel lines pushing into the bottleneck at priority). You cannot start one group until you know the last one is finished.

Reality is that re-labelling the groups is irrelevant if there isn’t a total change in the process and staff behaviour. That’s what th focus needs to be on or we’ll end up with the same old frustrating free-for-all.
We enjoyed the same experience last night at EDI - a shambles.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
It's sort of ironic that "hand-baggage only" passengers are likely to be the ones having their hand luggage taken off them and loaded in the hold...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
'come Martha I think she said group five' -- 'no George, group 1' -- much less likely!!
"The countdown is at group 1 now, so group 5 had already been called."
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by xenole
They don't have the "Well, I'm flying F therefore I am more important than anyone else. Being in F, there will be no others who would possibly have the audacity to infiltrate my sanctum" sort of mentality.
Or GCHs who believe the hype behind their "exclusive" status.
Last time I flew F, had someone butt in front of my son and I in Toronto as the gate was very chaotic, and we clearly did not "look" like F passengers.

We just let him butt in line, did not see the point in caring to argue. Good lesson for my son at 12, do not sweat people without manners.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Last time I flew F, had someone butt in front of my son and I in Toronto as the gate was very chaotic, and we clearly did not "look" like F passengers.

We just let him butt in line, did not see the point in caring to argue. Good lesson for my son at 12, do not sweat people without manners.
Unfortunately, people letting others get away with what they choose justifies their actions in their eyes.
It makes the situation as bad as BA's inaction with interlopers, queue jumpers and so on.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the record, I'll place the link to the BBC News item on their website, which regretfully does not share KARFA's insight. However we do have some other reflections upon which to dwell. The "universally hated" one is an interesting example of how one person's perspective can create a narrative which is blissfully untroubled by evidence.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42052743

First few paragraphs:
Originally Posted by BBC News
British Airways is introducing a boarding policy that means those buying the cheapest seats will be called last. From 12 December, passengers will be assigned a number between 1-5 printed on boarding passes, with the highest figure reserved for economy fares. BA said the move is about simplifying the boarding process, and bringing it into line with other carriers, including American Airlines and Iberia.
The "cheapest seats" bit is inaccurate, a late purchase Basic fare can easily be more expensive than an early purchase Club Europe ticket.
T8191 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For the record, I'll place the link to the BBC News item on their website, which regretfully does not share KARFA's insight. However we do have some other reflections upon which to dwell. The "universally hated" one is an interesting example of how one person's perspective can create a narrative which is blissfully untroubled by evidence.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42052743

First few paragraphs:

The "cheapest seats" bit is inaccurate, a late purchase Basic fare can easily be more expensive than an early purchase Club Europe ticket.
Disappointing they didn't ask me for a comment - I will be speaking to my agent this afternoon!

In terms of some of the objections noted on the BBC article, I can only echo the comments of MPH1980, those that think it s a terrible system clearly have never had the pleasure of flying with AA and seeing it work there. It is actually a good system and importantly groups will be printed on boarding passes. Execution will be key and let's hope the BA agents at LHR/LGW, and the third party ones elsewhere do it right.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I have not flown for a few months but a couple of weeks ago booked a domestic CE day return for 12 December. I will have no luggage and may choose to watch the boarding process in all its glory.The press coverage of this has been strange. The current system is similar but explicitly putting the sequence on the BP should make it easier to enforce.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I like this idea as it’s how AA operate and that works well.

It’s amazing how a relatively good news story can get spun into class warfare and I suspect it’s down to BA poor reputation among the masses.

I also wonder why they didn’t keep it low key, trial it......preferably st EDI as they don’t know how to board, and then expand it. The Big Bang launch on the 12 will be chaotic if the staff, many of whom lack the service skills Aldi and Lidl, don’t rigorously enforce the process and turn away those who are not in line for boarding.

I flying on the 15th by which time it should be imbedded or discarded.😳
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yeah, very strange coverage. Particularly poor from the BBC. No real research + a few quotes from Twitter does not an article make. At least not a very good one.

Agreed that it's probably a result of losing various PR battles over the preceding months and years.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:33 am
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Just some anecdotical evidence for the implementation agnosticists:

A 4 group boarding (Gold/First; CW/ Silver; Bronze; rest) was already being properly inforced in my last trip (early October) to DXB both in the outbound and the inbound flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.