Search

Upgrading a BA flight booked on QFF points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
Upgrading a BA flight booked on QFF points

Hi all,

I'm flying LHR to SIN in Club World in December and I booked the flight with my QFF points. I have enough for First, but there were no seats. I have kept an eye on expert flyer and it looks like there are two unsold seats. As it gets closer to the time is it likely that F seats will come available?

Also if the flight was oversold do they ever op-up people who use points from other OW frequent flyer programmes?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:12 am

No easy answer to this, unless you've got access to Revenue Management's crystal ball

To answer your question, it's one or more of the following answers;

Yes, definitely
Yes, maybe
Maybe, maybe
No, maybe
No, definitely
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tm84
Hi all,

I'm flying LHR to SIN in Club World in December and I booked the flight with my QFF points. I have enough for First, but there were no seats. I have kept an eye on expert flyer and it looks like there are two unsold seats. As it gets closer to the time is it likely that F seats will come available?

Also if the flight was oversold do they ever op-up people who use points from other OW frequent flyer programmes?

Thanks
You can only upgrade with avios through BA if the booking was made with BA issued 125-... ticket.

It sounds like you have a QF issued reward ticket though, and I am not sure about the QF scheme and what you can do with a QF reward ticket.
Cymro likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You'd have to cancel and rebook into first if and when it opens up, with whatever cancellation penalty Qantas charges

It's unlikely you would be selected ahead of BA's own status passengers for any op-up
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadowline
No easy answer to this, unless you've got access to Revenue Management's crystal ball

To answer your question, it's one or more of the following answers;

Yes, definitely
Yes, maybe
Maybe, maybe
No, maybe
No, definitely
uh thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can only upgrade with avios through BA if the booking was made with BA issued 125-... ticket.

It sounds like you have a QF issued reward ticket though, and I am not sure about the QF scheme and what you can do with a QF reward ticket.
Thanks...yeah it is a QF issued reward ticket.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
You'd have to cancel and rebook into first if and when it opens up, with whatever cancellation penalty Qantas charges

It's unlikely you would be selected ahead of BA's own status passengers for any op-up
Thanks for the answer.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BA gold
As a last resort, you might be able to ask and pay for an AUP (airport promotional upgrade) at check-in which depends on availability and other mysterious factors.

Airport Upgrade Promotions (AUP) tracking and discussion | 2017 thread
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ajeleonard

My op-up rate on BA was pretty high when I was a Qantas Platinum, however, I was on a normal paid ticket (probably pretty expensive bucket).

However, this was before the days of the DUT, so things may have changed a lot.

Redemption tickets are no bar to op-ups though. My husband has had lots as a 'tag-along Gold' off my GGL, mostly booked using my Avios.

Originally Posted by KARFA

Cancel, incur some penalties (not huge), and book a new ticket. Or, book a new ticket and then cancel the old one if you have enough points to do that.

Originally Posted by tm84
it looks like there are two unsold seats. As it gets closer to the time is it likely that F seats will come available?
If the seats are merely empty, it might not be that there is any still to sell. If it's showing as F2, it might even mean that there is just one empty seat - it just means they are prepared to sell up to 2 seats in F. Whether they would release any F seat for reward nearer the time is questionable, as I suspect the route gets a fair few last minute revenue bookings in F. I have met rather a lot of people on SIN flights in F who were booked on the flight on the day to go out to SIN just for one night for a meeting, and I suspect it happens pretty often.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
My op-up rate on BA was pretty high when I was a Qantas Platinum, however, I was on a normal paid ticket (probably pretty expensive bucket).

However, this was before the days of the DUT, so things may have changed a lot.

Redemption tickets are no bar to op-ups though. My husband has had lots as a 'tag-along Gold' off my GGL, mostly booked using my Avios.

Cancel, incur some penalties (not huge), and book a new ticket. Or, book a new ticket and then cancel the old one if you have enough points to do that.

If the seats are merely empty, it might not be that there is any still to sell. If it's showing as F2, it might even mean that there is just one empty seat - it just means they are prepared to sell up to 2 seats in F. Whether they would release any F seat for reward nearer the time is questionable, as I suspect the route gets a fair few last minute revenue bookings in F. I have met rather a lot of people on SIN flights in F who were booked on the flight on the day to go out to SIN just for one night for a meeting, and I suspect it happens pretty often.
Really appreciate all this feedback. Thank you.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stez
As a last resort, you might be able to ask and pay for an AUP (airport promotional upgrade) at check-in which depends on availability and other mysterious factors.

Airport Upgrade Promotions (AUP) tracking and discussion | 2017 thread
Yes - I that is what I will aim for. Cheers for your advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.