FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Black Friday Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1878004-black-friday-deals.html)

Smid Nov 21, 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 29085741)
Isn’t this the day retailers start to be profitable (eg the accounts are in the black not in the red).

Back before it was an actual thing in the UK, I read that it meant the day after Thanksgiving where a lot of people phoned in sick after their holiday 'excess', due to everyone taking it off and nobody wanting to go to work.

The one above was given as one of the origins.

Another was about the amount of car crashes from people going to sales on that day.

I'm sure some of Putins trolldiers will put out a hundred fake news sites claiming some sort of racist description too... So it will mean that next year.

Misco60 Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29085650)
It's always the fourth Friday in November. It's the day after the US Thanksgiving, the fourth Thursday in November.

Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday in November, but the following day isn't necessarily the fourth Friday.

Ryanfozzie Nov 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure I remember in previous years the 2 for XXXX to NYC in J for example, or holiday deals too. The question I have, did anyone remember if these flights included the LCY-->JFK route? Desperate to try this route on the babybus.

rockflyertalk Nov 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29085650)
It's always the fourth Friday in November. It's the day after the US Thanksgiving, the fourth Thursday in November. Named Black Friday because, well, I went to check why, and found about four explanations and not the one I'd heard...

Recently Black Friday sales have been starting earlier than this, especially in countries which don't celebrate it. Which is everyone else.

Incase there was any confusion over my statement of ‘but I don’t know’ was referring to whether there will be a sale or not. That I don’t know.

I was, however, aware of when it falls, as I have family in the US who celebrate and go mad for ‘Black Friday’ deals! I do find it strange that we’ve adopted this sale period from across the pond!

If there is a similar BF sale then let’s hope it’s a good one!

mikeyfly Nov 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie (Post 29086234)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure I remember in previous years the 2 for XXXX to NYC in J for example, or holiday deals too. The question I have, did anyone remember if these flights included the LCY-->JFK route? Desperate to try this route on the babybus.

usually very tight dates - maybe 20/12-05/01 or similar - when the Babybus might be on its Xmas break

rockflyertalk Nov 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie (Post 29086234)

I'd certainly like to try this route as it is unique in some ways, however I wouldn't rush into this for a few reasons that you may or may not be aware of;

- No lounge at LCY
- No new bedding and catering, unlike the LHR route.
- The upper deck on the 747 is far better (if you can grab a seat), with more privacy and better crew to passenger ratio, from what I understand.
- The seating/layout is probably better on the 747 than LCY babybus A318.

I haven't tried the babybus, but its on my list and I'm sure there are far more qualified people here to give reasons for or against.

Anyhow I don't wish to turn this thread into an LCY vs LHR opinion pole! If it does come up in the sale, why not try it! At least you can tick it off the list!

LordBuckethead Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29086931)
I'd certainly like to try this route as it is unique in some ways, however I wouldn't rush into this for a few reasons that you may or may not be aware of;

Likewise but the opposite... I am really very keen indeed for there to be some kind of fantastic offer for the babybus - I personally very much doubt it's got long left and would love to 'do it' before it kicks the bucket, so to speak - and with the lengthy apexes required to get any kind of half-decent price on it, I want to get it booked asap.

KARFA Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29086931)

- No lounge at LCY
- No new bedding and catering, unlike the LHR route.
- The upper deck on the 747 is far better (if you can grab a seat), with more privacy and better crew to passenger ratio, from what I understand.
- The seating/layout is probably better on the 747 than LCY babybus A318.

I haven't tried the babybus, but its on my list and I'm sure there are far more qualified people here to give reasons for or against.

Anyhow I don't wish to turn this thread into an LCY vs LHR opinion pole! If it does come up in the sale, why not try it! At least you can tick it off the list!

I am not sure I agree that the 747 UD is far better than the babybus - I would still rate the babybus higher for going west and that’s even now when I have GE so the pre-clearance isn’t as big a deal for me. The big inconvenience for me is that not living in London I can’t easily connect to or from the babybus, whereas it’s s lot easier at LHR. Having said that I managed two trips on the babybus this year and will have another next year.

Definitely worth doing still, and if it is possible in the upcoming sale it is worth booking.

Smid Nov 22, 2017 1:46 am

Babybus doesn't run over the limited period of the sale, indeed the holidays sale last year was valid for 20th December to 1st of January (I assume outbound), and I know the babybus tends to be finished by at least 23rd of December, and doesn't restart till as late as 7th January perhaps (I was surprised about this, but remember because I flew it on the 8th one year). I'm not an expert on the dates, just a rough guide...

rockflyertalk Nov 22, 2017 4:36 pm

The suspense....!

nufnuf77 Nov 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29091020)
The suspense....!

I wanna spend my money, cmon BA!

rockflyertalk Nov 22, 2017 5:05 pm

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...73a12bc7fc.png

rockflyertalk Nov 22, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm not getting anything once I click...'see all offers' - YET!

Firipu Nov 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 29091032)
I wanna spend my money, cmon BA!

Maybe they are busy updating the new APD charges on Premium Classes confirmed in today's Budget...

Virazuno Nov 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29091090)

I can't even see this...yet.