Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus has 'no plans' to rejoin oneworld [proposes entering JV with AA/BA etc]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus has 'no plans' to rejoin oneworld [proposes entering JV with AA/BA etc]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Irish Independent article quotes the answer as "We have no plans to join oneworld. We still have to do the business case for joining oneworld.”

The second sentence appears to directly contradict the first. A reader of my blog pointed out to me that Virgin Atlantic is in the JV with Delta/SkyTeam so there is precedent for joining a JV without being an alliance member.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
His expression of desire to enter the JV, however, means that EI *has* to join the alliance. The anti-trust immunity is only granted to members of the alliance, so alliance membership is (currently) a pre-requisite for participation in the JV.
You’ve expressed that position before, but I’ve never been able to corroborate it. Do you have access to non public policy information? Or is it a clause buried somewhere in a DoJ memo or Commission statement?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I would have to look closely at what I might receive in terms of FF status benefits and earn in TPs and Avios in the event that I ever think about flying EI.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I’m delighted with the new SEA route, as I can now get to the west coast, and onwards without having to schlep through LHR and with the added bonus of pre-clearance at DUB. It matters not whether EI are in or out of OW as far as I am concerned.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:52 pm

His expression of desire to enter the JV, however, means that EI *has* to join the alliance. The anti-trust immunity is only granted to members of the alliance, so alliance membership is (currently) a pre-requisite for participation in the JV.
Isn’t Level part of the JBA?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I would have to look closely at what I might receive in terms of FF status benefits and earn in TPs and Avios in the event that I ever think about flying EI.
Well from London most (all?) EI transatlantic flights can already be booked under a BA codeshare, in which case you earn exactly the same avios and TP as you would on BA.

Otherwise if booked on EI flight number you earn avios but no TP and no tier bonus.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by jamespvg
Level is operating as Iberia at the moment, who are already part of oneworld and the JBA. I don’t know how that will change once they get their AOC.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I’m delighted with the new SEA route, as I can now get to the west coast, and onwards without having to schlep through LHR and with the added bonus of pre-clearance at DUB. It matters not whether EI are in or out of OW as far as I am concerned.
Couldn't you get to the west coast before using EI's LAX/SFO services?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
Couldn't you get to the west coast before using EI's LAX/SFO services?
Or via JFK/BOS/ORD and using EI's partners B6 and UA
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jamespvg
If it is (and I can only find one unsubstantiated blog post* saying that it is), then maybe it is because, for now, they are unable to hide the fact from regulators that, for at least as long as it uses Iberia's AOC, it is effectively Iberia-in-disguise, and therefore they may be required by law to "participate".

*that blog post also points out the fact that this would mean that customers on AA, Finnair, BA, etc, are all subsidising Level customers. But even the idea that Level should participate in revenue sharing and price-fixing with these "high fares" airlines seems to conflict with its "low fares" design.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
If it is (and I can only find one unsubstantiated blog post* saying that it is), then maybe it is because, for now, they are unable to hide the fact from regulators that, for at least as long as it uses Iberia's AOC, it is effectively Iberia-in-disguise, and therefore they may be required by law to "participate".

*that blog post also points out the fact that this would mean that customers on AA, Finnair, BA, etc, are all subsidising Level customers. But even the idea that Level should participate in revenue sharing and price-fixing with these "high fares" airlines seems to conflict with its "low fares" design.
I don't think Level is though. It would have needed approval and if so it would have been in the news as such as these JV changes always are. I've seen nothing in the aviation press about it, so it's safe to say that one blog post is wrong. It also makes absolutely no sense from a commercial standpoint to have a new startup appear as an option on all the other JVs booking engines. It would probably be cost negative for Level to be a part of the JV.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:17 pm

Why would EI wish to rejoin OW considering their current success? DUB-US/CANADA is fine as it stands. I have a problem with the lounge at SFO but its not a deal breaker.

The deal breaker for me is pre clearance.

if I had to consider anything differently (from an EI perspective) I would be looking at better integration of flights ex EU onto US with brexit looming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.