Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lloyds Avios credit cards: many cards blocked for fraud

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards: many cards blocked for fraud

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Smid
The trouble with such fraud (my BA amex got done after a Hawaiian airport pickup/dropoff place got hacked, Roberts?) is that the rest of the cards start barfing back at you. I gave up using my santander visa debit because it would just reject first go, and you'd get a phonecall to confirm it was you, and then you were supposed to try again. Except an online currency place then blacklisted you for a bad card, and basically you couldn't use them using a debit card. So I used the visa card which came with the VS amex.
I had a lot of problems using my Lloyds card abroad. I was able to call their fraud department and request a 1 year global travel unblock. That did the trick and never had a problem since.

Oh and mine didn't get stolen lately.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
When I had some fraud on my Mastercard in March, Lloyds "accidently" closed my Amex account and I've had no Avios since. I only knew it had happened when the Amex card was removed from Apple Pay automatically.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Me too. I cut up my Amex card on arrival as I use the BA Amex where Amex is accepted. Attempted magnetic swipe transactions in the US. The only place the data needed to clone the card could have come from is the bank itself.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:25 am

They need to go public pretty quickly...this is a PR disaster waiting to happen/already happening. It's very easy for the press to pick up this thread/HfP and spread the news far and wide.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
My Amex was declined earlier this week (tried both contactless and PIN). Seems to be working again now, and thankfully no dodgy transactions on my statement (yet)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Just heard it reported on Radio4’s You and Yours program with a reference to ‘an online forum’. I wonder which one? 😁
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by icebird
Just heard it reported on Radio4’s You and Yours program with a reference to ‘an online forum’. I wonder which one? 😁
Er, mine :-)
icebird likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Same thing happened to me = PBG Riverside, CA.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
No fraud on my card.

It was declined a few weeks ago when I tried to buy an air ticket originating in a South East Asian country, but that actually seems sensible (unlike when Lloyds blocks my current account every few months for doing the same high value transaction I do every month). No other declines

Just about to leave on a 2 week trip where I was planning to use the card though. HFP comments report that Lloyds is saying all the cards will be replaced

I might have to complain to Lloyds about missing out on several thousand avios if that is true
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Smid
The trouble with such fraud (my BA amex got done after a Hawaiian airport pickup/dropoff place got hacked, Roberts?) is that the rest of the cards start barfing back at you. I gave up using my santander visa debit because it would just reject first go, and you'd get a phonecall to confirm it was you, and then you were supposed to try again. Except an online currency place then blacklisted you for a bad card, and basically you couldn't use them using a debit card. So I used the visa card which came with the VS amex.
Snap. Meant I couldn't use my Monzo Alpha card, replaced with a Beta version - grrr. The downsides to a TP run to Hawaii...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG
Sadly, I'm in the "me too" camp. First fradulent transaction on Oct 28th, which I reported and Lloyds needed to investigate (still open as far as I know, they haven't told me a thing) Then 6 more transactions over the next 1.5 weeks, all for less than 100 GBP each, all done in California stores, none for even amounts of USD. Usually only a transaction a day, but there is one day they did 2 transactions at AutoZone.

When I called to report the 2nd grouping, they cancelled my Amex and am sending me a new one.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Yes, me too. Spotted fraudulent transaction on my daily check of my accounts. Saddo I know but it catches these things early. Transaction at a doe market clothing store in LA, contactless but for far more than the U.K. allowed max for a contactless transaction. Also two pending small transactions for Car parking, paid by phone, in Seattle. Reported the fraud and told AMEX Card would be cancelled but that the Mastercard could be used. Still waiting for the 3 transactions to be removed.

Will be contacting Lloyds again if they do not remove them by mid week.

clearly someone somewhere has been hacked and it is probably Lloyds but they are keeping quiet. It would be best if they were open and honest about it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by qwest01
Transaction at a doe market clothing store in LA, contactless but for far more than the U.K. allowed max for a contactless transaction.
I spotted the transactions when they were still ‘pending’ in my account. These transactions said ‘magnetic stripe’. When they moved from pending payments to the actual statement they were shown as ‘contactless’.

Palmer
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:17 am

FWIW, no fraud on mine either. I've been checking my account a lot recently trying to work out how much I need to spend to hit the £7k threshold, since infuriatingly Lloyds don't give you any spend tracker like Amex. Grrr!

On the fraud front, I did have an annoying experience a few months ago where Lloyds sent me a 'was it you' text about a (£950) payment I'd made, saying this had not been debited and instructing me to make it again... so I did... and of course it was then debited twice. They did at least credit me 30 odd quid for the inconvenience when I complained.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Mine too. I noticed it the other day. Same as most here - relatively small spend in California. A few other pending transactions. I got on the phone immediately to report it. It was dealt with straight away and they noted a few pending transactions too (which I couldn't see)
Card cancelled and a new one issued which I have been told by text is arriving soon.
Disappointing that this could be an issue with the bank's security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.