Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA missed connection. Only given new flight 48 hours. Refusing compensation!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA missed connection. Only given new flight 48 hours. Refusing compensation!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
There are several cases where county court judges have found on favour of passengers who were effected by knock on effects of "extraordinary circumstances". The test IMO seems to be that the delay clock begins at the moment a replacement aircraft could theoretically be provided to to fly from A to B, irrespective of the practicalities.

Bad weather must also affect the ‘flight in question’ in order for airlines to use it as a defens according to Bott + Co.

A very politically correct CAA statement
"A delay caused directly by bad weather is generally considered outside an airline’s control and therefore airlines do not have to pay compensation," he said. "However, if an earlier delay is affecting later flights – or causing a knock-on effect - airlines may find it harder to demonstrate that they have taken all reasonable measures to avoid disruption. If they are unable to do this, passengers may be entitled to compensation as the airline has been unable to prove the delay was unavoidable."
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by smala01
There are several cases where county court judges have found on favour of passengers who were effected by knock on effects of "extraordinary circumstances". The test IMO seems to be that the delay clock begins at the moment a replacement aircraft could theoretically be provided to to fly from A to B, irrespective of the practicalities.

Bad weather must also affect the ‘flight in question’ in order for airlines to use it as a defens according to Bott + Co.

A very politically correct CAA statement
"A delay caused directly by bad weather is generally considered outside an airline’s control and therefore airlines do not have to pay compensation," he said. "However, if an earlier delay is affecting later flights – or causing a knock-on effect - airlines may find it harder to demonstrate that they have taken all reasonable measures to avoid disruption. If they are unable to do this, passengers may be entitled to compensation as the airline has been unable to prove the delay was unavoidable."
The issue on FT is the use of the word "reasonable". People here are often not reasonable. Some are quite fanciful.

Those are non-precedential.

The claims agency types tend to get it right because they only get paid if they win, so fighting for claims which are losers is bad business.

The statement is quite clear, it falls to the carrier to demonstrate "all reasonable measures." That is not simply the time to fly in a replacement. It could be less and it could be more. By way of example, a replacement from where? How about the time to pull a standby crew and what if there are 5 standby crews and a 6th flight is delayed?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Yes it looks like J1 on expert flyer and will only sell one seat when try and book on BA.com Looks like F1 also.
If nothing else sells and isn't already oversold (may well be with those figures) you could end up in F or J if there's a no show in the cabin, or J if they move someone forwards. I'd ask if they don't offer it.

BA15 is J5 to SIN now, so looks like you'll be OK to get on there.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 31, 2017 at 12:21 pm
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If nothing else sells and isn't already oversold (may well be with those figures) you could end up in F or J if there's a no show in the cabin, or J if they move someone forwards. I'd ask if they don't offer it.
All sorted in the end. On the BA 15, was told by CC in the air of rebooking. It went from J1 to J9 during the day so plenty of space in the end.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The issue on FT is the use of the word "reasonable". People here are often not reasonable. Some are quite fanciful.

Those are non-precedential.

The claims agency types tend to get it right because they only get paid if they win, so fighting for claims which are losers is bad business.

The statement is quite clear, it falls to the carrier to demonstrate "all reasonable measures." That is not simply the time to fly in a replacement. It could be less and it could be more. By way of example, a replacement from where? How about the time to pull a standby crew and what if there are 5 standby crews and a 6th flight is delayed?
You sound like my lawyer I cannot disagree with your statement, however this is more our view on probability of success. I am comfortable that i may be more bullish than many on the thread and totally accept that one is subject to the mood of the judge on the day.

All the factors you mention are in the hands of the airline. Its an operational decision of how many "spare" aircraft or spare crew to maintain in the schedule. The legislation is very pro-consumer and the rulings i have seen have set a very low bar to "extraordinary". Personally i would be very inclined to raise a money claim in view of any knock-on delays. (Or at the very least hand it to one of the claims companies). I can also respect that for many its just not worth their time.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by smala01
You sound like my lawyer I cannot disagree with your statement, however this is more our view on probability of success. I am comfortable that i may be more bullish than many on the thread and totally accept that one is subject to the mood of the judge on the day.

All the factors you mention are in the hands of the airline. Its an operational decision of how many "spare" aircraft or spare crew to maintain in the schedule. The legislation is very pro-consumer and the rulings i have seen have set a very low bar to "extraordinary". Personally i would be very inclined to raise a money claim in view of any knock-on delays. (Or at the very least hand it to one of the claims companies). I can also respect that for many its just not worth their time.
This is quite a common attitude when a client is chasing free money, but being bullish is not enough. There is far too much emphasis being put on “extraordinary”, whilst that will no doubt be a significant area of argument, the issue of “reasonable measures” will be the main focus of the defence to these claims. Woe betide those who go unprepared to offer a full rebutle of the defence.

Now it is possible BA will take an economic view and settle some of these claims, or it may chose to defend them. We do not know. Some claims may succeed whilst others fail. Those who decide to proceed need to be mindful that it is not having a bullish attitude that will succeed but having a carefully, well thought out case backed up with evidence and reasoned legal argument.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:00 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

This is quite a common attitude when a client is chasing free money, but being bullish is not enough. There is far too much emphasis being put on “extraordinary”, whilst that will no doubt be a significant area of argument, the issue of “reasonable measures” will be the main focus of the defence to these claims. Woe betide those who go unprepared to offer a full rebutle of the defence.

Now it is possible BA will take an economic view and settle some of these claims, or it may chose to defend them. We do not know. Some claims may succeed whilst others fail. Those who decide to proceed need to be mindful that it is not having a bullish attitude that will succeed but having a carefully, well thought out case backed up with evidence and reasoned legal argument.
Based on my experience of MCOL proceedings with BA recently, I’d entirely agree with this. Now, mine was for a downgrade from BA F to VS J on an invol re-route after an A380 went tech, so different to a delay, but I can assure you BA’s defence was very, very comprehensive, running to 10 pages - and I only got a satisfactory settlement in mediation because I sent a well researched and arguably more legally accurate response back. I also needed to be bullish and hold my nerve and in the end BA effectively folded, but without that first response there’s no question they’d have gone to court.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Based on my experience of MCOL proceedings with BA recently, I’d entirely agree with this. Now, mine was for a downgrade from BA F to VS J on an invol re-route after an A380 went tech, so different to a delay, but I can assure you BA’s defence was very, very comprehensive, running to 10 pages - and I only got a satisfactory settlement in mediation because I sent a well researched and arguably more legally accurate response back. I also needed to be bullish and hold my nerve and in the end BA effectively folded, but without that first response there’s no question they’d have gone to court.
Sadly, many deserving cases are lost in court because one party has gone totally unprepared or because they failed to understand the legal or evidential complexities. Some turn up and present a great claim, but become a cropper when it comes to attacking the defence or finding rebuttle for the crossexaminaion or defence arguments.

When going to court, a claimant is wise to consider the possible defences when preparing their own case.
NWIFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.