Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Forget ex EU and ex INV, I'm all about ex KIR (That's Kerry County)

Forget ex EU and ex INV, I'm all about ex KIR (That's Kerry County)

Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Very interesting thread that has opened my eyes! Just out of curiosity re: ex-INV - is it just flights to North America that tend to be cheaper?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Seems so, and generally BOS / NYC / IAD.

That said, there are some cracking ex Dub fares with VS just now.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Little OT, forgive me, but all those mileage runners even lead to a capacity increase on Aer Lingus' service to Dublin!

AerLingus increases Dublin – Kerry capacity in S18
Posted 27 February 2018 10:00

AerLingus in summer season increasing capacity on Dublin – Kerry route, currently served by Stobart Air ATR42 aircraft. From 25MAR18, the 2 daily flights will switch to Stobart Air ATR72 aircraft.

EI3204 DUB1240 – 1345KIR AT7 D
EI3208 DUB1855 – 2000KIR AT7 D

EI3201 KIR0730 – 0830DUB AT7 x7
EI3201 KIR0900 – 1005FUB AT7 7
EI3205 KIR1410 – 1510DUB AT7 D
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by Rufin
Very interesting thread that has opened my eyes! Just out of curiosity re: ex-INV - is it just flights to North America that tend to be cheaper?
We'll be doing ex-INV to Hong Kong when we head to Oz in 2019. As I am originally from Inverness-shire and my mum is still there....and given that it is 200 pp cheaper to fly ex-Inversneck (CE/CW) than our nearest Edinburgh..... it is a no-brainer.

Having been connected with Inverness for 37 years, can I just say the more people use the ex-INV the better as the BA LHR link has been withdrawn from service many times, enough column inches written about it in the local Highland newspapers. Whilst we'd like it to be a 'secret', we realise the benefits of it to keep it going.
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

I've done a few ex-EUs now and I can't understand why INV is so much cheaper. I thought the ex-EU thing was to avoid high UK air departure taxes. So if we all still assume Scotland is part of the UK, then how is INV often cheaper than other EU airports?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by simon1234567
I've done a few ex-EUs now and I can't understand why INV is so much cheaper. I thought the ex-EU thing was to avoid high UK air departure taxes. So if we all still assume Scotland is part of the UK, then how is INV often cheaper than other EU airports?
Some of the remote Scottish airports have always been exempt from APD and INV is one such airport. As to the cheaper prices I guess BA would rather people flew with them than KLM via AMS. Anyway I’m not complaining!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Some of the remote Scottish airports have always been exempt from APD and INV is one such airport.
Really? I never knew that. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simon1234567
Really? I never knew that. Thanks for the explanation.
Also while ex-INV is always about lower departure taxes, the fares are often lower than elsewhere in the UK - presumably to attract ex-EU type custom as well.

(NB flying out of the EU really is not about lower departure taxes, though it plays a role. The main reason is that, if you want to fly AMS-BKK you would do so non-stop on KLM, all things being equal. To make sure that all things are not equal, BA offers prices that are much lower out of AMS than it does out of LHR to give Dutch people an incentive to change at Heathrow. However, fortunately for us, LHR-AMS is only a short hop and a very easy turnaround, which justifies the price saving over a non-stop flight. The same applies to lots of other routes starting all over Europe.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cymro
(NB flying out of the EU really is not about lower departure taxes, though it plays a role.
In all the calculations I've done to compare the savings between an ex-EU and an ex-LHR the APD element is approx 15-25% of the difference between the two fares - the rest being made up of minor difference in airport fees and the bulk in the reduced base fare and surcharges.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

It still doesn't explain why INV is so much cheaper than even, say Aberdeen.
But let's not draw attention to it. *cough*
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
At the time I heard it was originally designed to feed people to AA's services at Manchester, but when BA launched LHR from INV their services were included. But I am still seeing good ex INV deals.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
How many TPs for that versus just LHRBOS?
The BA calculator lists KIA to DUB in C as 40 so I would assume 40+40+140+40+40 each way so 600 return
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:02 am

I picked random dates in July and in J, DUB-LHR-LAS is the exact same price as KIR-DUB-LHR-LAS
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:27 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I picked random dates in July and in J, DUB-LHR-LAS is the exact same price as KIR-DUB-LHR-LAS
Not surprised, this thread is over a year old.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by DVT
Not surprised, this thread is over a year old.
Not really sure what you mean. I looked at July 2019 so its still relevant
Sealink likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.