Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The fall of Robert Mugabe: Potential Impact on Zimbabwean Aviation - BA to Return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The fall of Robert Mugabe: Potential Impact on Zimbabwean Aviation - BA to Return?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, EI Aer Club, LifeMiles

Well well…

Today could well be a good day for the Zimbabwe and her people, with some dramatic news from Harare. That cruel dictator Robert Mugabe is under house arrest, with the Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA) taking control, meaning it is likely the evil old man will be forced out at long last.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41997982

Leaving aside the political ramifications, which is not this thread’s remit (although I love a goo discussion about Zimbabwean politics!), it would be good to – in the light of this potentially optimistic development for this beautiful country and her people who I hold dear to my heart – gauge your views on what will be the impact on a change of leadership on new services; could we see BA among others finally return, among others?

Best wishes
The Lion
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Based on how BA have pulled out of large parts of Africa and Comair already serve Zim from JNB I doubt BA will be rushing to serve ZIM
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suspect Zim would have to stabilise and recover a bit before there was any great enthusiasm for BA to resume flights.

Will it become, again, a desirable holiday destination?
What level of cargo operation might exist?

A little way to go, I tentatively suggest.
PaulJWoodgate likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Nov 15, 2017 at 8:18 am Reason: autocorrect
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:32 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
As this is infighting within Zanu-PF and there is currently no indication that Zim will move in a more democratic direction with less corruption, we'll have to wait and see if things take a turn for the better.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think Vic Falls was also hoping for direct flights from London with the extended runway and the new terminal, but don't think this will ever materialize (although that part of Zim has always been relatively safe). Interestingly, ET and KQ have begun direct flights to VFA.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Unlikely. Most of the likely successors are hardly icons of democracy.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Until Zanu-PF un-screws the economy, there's no chance. BA follows the money, there's no money in Zim (outside the hands of the party elite who are subject to personal EU sanctions).
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Out of the frying pan and into the fire is a distinct possibility.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Probably unlikely as a non stop from London. Harare and Victoria Falls are already served on BA/Comair via JNB and there are also one-stop options with the likes of EK, SA, ET and KQ

Perhaps it could come back in the future as a tag-on to another ex-colonial African city but it would take a few years before they will take that risk I would think.

I was in Victoria Falls in August and I was very pleasantly surprised by Zimbabwe. The people are so friendly and they really need the cash from tourism. I hope things stabilise quickly so that tourists will continue to visit.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:20 am

@The Lion, as a fellow resident of the People's Republic of Hackney I'd have hoped for a lot more realism in you post, but maybe you're an optimist. I agree with several others, long way to go yet, and a different equally useless and corrupt government is most likely outcome. None of which is anything to do with BA.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the lead up to the former direct service between LGW and HRE, it ran 4 days a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Friday and Saturdays from LGW North. Departing around 21:00 hrs, the 747 would arrive into Harare about 8 am and then stay there all day before returning in the evening around 9pm again. The jumbo was quite a sight at the airport, and it used to be a bit of a local tradition for families to go to the airport with the children by way of an excursion, to see the aircraft and the airport itself. This was up until the late 1990s.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Based on how BA have pulled out of large parts of Africa and Comair already serve Zim from JNB I doubt BA will be rushing to serve ZIM
Wonder if Comair operations will be effected by what is going on in Zim ?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the lead up to the former direct service between LGW and HRE, it ran 4 days a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Friday and Saturdays from LGW North. [...] This was up until the late 1990s.
Also worth noting that the UK (and, in general, white) population in Zimbabwe has decreased significantly since that time - I don't remember the exact numbers but recall it went down from well over 200,000 at the peak to 20,000 now, so definitely less of a business case for BA.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mec72
Also worth noting that the UK (and, in general, white) population in Zimbabwe has decreased significantly since that time - I don't remember the exact numbers but recall it went down from well over 200,000 at the peak to 20,000 now, so definitely less of a business case for BA.
It was just under 300k at its peak, about 9% of the total population, and over half had UK nationality or descent, so some sort of ties which would make them look to the UK rather than South Africa or Zambia.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
On the subject of BA routes to Africa, will BA rsume flighs to Monrovia. They were suspended a few years ago due to the ebola virus, but thas has now gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.