'Is there anything I can get you?'

Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
How would a CSD/M get in trouble if it’s taken from CE stock?

They've never asked me in ET otherwise I would have asked for a G&T without embarrassment
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Interesting thread. I really do agree with immediate posters above that IF asked the question, then I should answer genuinely with 'what I want'. Of course doing so politely/discretely.

The fact that I have read on FT what a very knowledgeable poster has advised me [indirectly] to do simply lets the genie of awkwardness out of the bottle, sadly, never to return.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Interesting thread. I really do agree with immediate posters above that IF asked the question, then I should answer genuinely with 'what I want'. Of course doing so politely/discretely.

The fact that I have read on FT what a very knowledgeable poster has advised me [indirectly] to do simply lets the genie of awkwardness out of the bottle, sadly, never to return.
I'm totally confused by your post! Sorry for asking it to be spelled out, but what are you saying? You will ask for what you want? Or you won't? Or you will and you will choose to feel awkward?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Does anybody else have very bad thoughts when the FAs ask :-

"if there's anything we can do to make your journey more comfortable, please don't hesitate to ask".
Ive had this a couple of times

Once on LHR-GLA in Economy, was offeed a drink and given a cuppa tea

The second time LHR-TLV in WT+, was invited into the J cabin service area and promptly given a rather nice bottle of wine.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
You should have said

"Some Percy Pigs would really hit the spot" and then see how she reacts.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL
Better than not being asked at all as happened to my twice recently as a GGL in LH Y
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I got all excited when the CSD/CSM came through the curtain to ET and asked if I’d like a left over meal from business class. I politely accepted. It was a flight after 8pm on a Sunday evening London bound with a very lightly loaded aircraft and then burst my bubble by going through the rest of ET offering the same and I think nearly everybody accepted. I’m guessing she was being more proactive knowing that the food would get binned on landing. Golden Ticket awarded for “making this one of the best and most comfortable Baa flights ever. BA at its best” so that she wouldn’t get into trouble,
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Flew with a group of 20 to TLV in Y last week. Got the welcome on the tarmac at LHR and asked for a continental breakfast of there would be one spare.

It was put in the fridge for me to eat at my leisure.

On the return. CC kept bringing us drinks from the F bar! It helped I gave her the Golden ticket at the start of the flight!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I've been asked a couple of times and viewed it as a rhetorical question to which I nodded and smiled politely and, needless to say, being English and not one to make a fuss, I declined. I had formed the view in my own mind that the correct and conventional response is to ask for nothing, but I'm pleased to see that other posters have been more pragmatic.

On the most recent occasion to DUS I quite fancied a coffee, but thought better of it. I can't see how that would have been feasible in any event given that this was just before take off- I guess she could have brought me something after t/o. In light of some of the responses above I might be a bit more confident in asking for things, though in all honesty I usually turn up to all short haul flights (Y or CE) well fed and watered on the basis that even in CE I'm going to get very little of substance.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Q: Can I get you anything?

A: Maybe. What are the choices?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Q: Can I get you anything?

A: Maybe. What are the choices?
CSM: You have anything you like.

GCH: Oh good, I’ll have a G&T

CSM: Here you go, that’ll be Ł6 please.

GCH:
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
I have been asked in S/H Y if I wanted a replenishment of the tea I had already purchaes, which I interpreted to be comped. I declined. Chatting aimlessly in the rear galley about BoB soon after implementation during a dull flight the kindly FA asked me if I wanted to try something from the trolley, but declined. The generic Gold greeting on L/H along the lines of 'tell us if there is anything we can do to make your flight better' kinda deserves a 'well, a Kir Royale certainly would' but I don't think that response meets the intention of the question.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I got all excited when the CSD/CSM came through the curtain to ET and asked if I’d like a left over meal from business class. I politely accepted. It was a flight after 8pm on a Sunday evening London bound with a very lightly loaded aircraft and then burst my bubble by going through the rest of ET offering the same and I think nearly everybody accepted. I’m guessing she was being more proactive knowing that the food would get binned on landing. Golden Ticket awarded for “making this one of the best and most comfortable Baa flights ever. BA at its best” so that she wouldn’t get into trouble,
Here's a good example of the soft product making all the difference and the most memorable bit. This case, the crew. Nice touch and I wish I always had one of the tickets to hand on occasion to a great crew. I can never find anything in my bags on-board.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:37 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Happened to me a few times. I've no shame, so I've been brazen with my requests:

In Longhaul J, asked for F Champagne or Wine - received no issues (never been declined)
In Y on Domestic or Short Haul Europe, asked for Champagne from J - received no issues (never been declined)
In WT+, asked for an upgrade to J - received once after we were in the air and lights were off.

I often do it the other way around too - in F, I'll ask for JWalker Red, and they'll go get it for me from Economy!

I only fly a few times a year now with BA, so I maximise when I can.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Genius1
If the crew are asking the question, why on earth wouldn't you just answer honestly (politely of course, with a smile)? The worst they can say is 'no'. They did ask, after all.
Because communication is about meaning, and in some contexts the meaning of what the other person is telling you is genuinely not clear to you, and clarifying it may have a cost either by embarrassing the person who is being nice or by embarrassing yourself.

In that case, for instance, how are you to know if the person is offering you a complimentary perk which is not part of the service norm, or giving you a second chance to buy from the trolley which he/she might consider is additional service already?

And even if the offer is a genuine offer, it is likely the other person has something in mind, and you don't want them to discouraging them from being nice to other people by asking beyond his/her area of acceptability. For example, should I ask: "I'd love that full CE meal if you have any left because I am quite hungry" even if it is true? My guess is that if the CSD/CSM gets that sort of answer two or three times they will just stop asking the question to others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.