Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Is there anything I can get you?'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Interesting thread. I really do agree with immediate posters above that IF asked the question, then I should answer genuinely with 'what I want'. Of course doing so politely/discretely.

The fact that I have read on FT what a very knowledgeable poster has advised me [indirectly] to do simply lets the genie of awkwardness out of the bottle, sadly, never to return.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Because communication is about meaning, and in some contexts the meaning of what the other person is telling you is genuinely not clear to you, and clarifying it may have a cost either by embarrassing the person who is being nice or by embarrassing yourself.
I have to say some of this is like being in The Remains of the Day, which was of course written by someone of Japanese heritage: we operate within these bounds of duty, service and the rules of behaviour, over-arched with a dollop of dignity and an avoidance of external conflict, even if that means a bit of internal conflict / personal anguish.

Easily solved by asking "ooooh, any chance of a cup of tea?"
adrianlondon and NoTiersForMe like this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have to say some of this is like being in The Remains of the Day, which was of course written by someone of Japanese heritage: we operate within these bounds of duty, service and the rules of behaviour, over-arched with a dollop of dignity and an avoidance of external conflict, even if that means a bit of internal conflict / personal anguish.

Easily solved by asking "ooooh, any chance of a cup of tea and a biccie?"
There, fixed it for you
adrianlondon and NoTiersForMe like this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I was once given a bottle of water, which I found a really nice gesture.

If I was asked whether there was anything I wanted, I surely wouldn't hesitate and ask for whatever I wanted, may this be coffee, a coke, a G&T or champagne.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
If the crew are asking the question, why on earth wouldn't you just answer honestly (politely of course, with a smile)? The worst they can say is 'no'. They did ask, after all.
I was about to write the very same damn thing...it's true, the worst they can say is no.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Had the same on MAD-LHR in Euro Traveller Plus (!) on the 777.

The CSM did her Gold rimming and asked if I wanted anything, to which I replied “a coffee would be great, please!” and she said “Any juice too?”, so I got an OJ too.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Here's a good example of the soft product making all the difference and the most memorable bit. This case, the crew. Nice touch and I wish I always had one of the tickets to hand on occasion to a great crew. I can never find anything in my bags on-board.

I've gotten this. They'll bring you a cup of tea or a glass of water from the CE cabin.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've been explicitly offered a glass of champagne from J/W before when flying LH Y with the Gold welcome on BA, AY and even IB (I asked for a nicer red from the front instead on that one.) No offers with any 'Welcome Back' in SH as far as I can remember though (unless you count a gate beep OpUp ) but it's a nice touch if good CSD/Ms are being proactive with GCHs
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm totally confused by your post! Sorry for asking it to be spelled out, but what are you saying? You will ask for what you want? Or you won't? Or you will and you will choose to feel awkward?
Sorry to confuse, not my intention guv. I suppose your third offering: I will ask for what I want but FlyerTalk has made me aware of possible implications or backstories and that makes me feel awkward.

Or, 27 years in London have tempered my inherent American bolshyness
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
I've been asked this on shorthaul Y. Got a G+T, no charge.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
I have a wonderful cabin crew member (Liam, I believe was his name [to comply with FT rules]), who asked me the same. Wasn't actually in the need of anything (it was 0640 on a Monday - I just wanted to sleep). I suspect if I had asked for a tea or coffee, one would've been provided.

Rule of thumb - ask for nothing more than you wouldn't mind paying for yourself, so no offence is made or taken.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, some posts above have attracted a deluge of 'Bad Post' reports and have had to be deleted.

Particularly in the current climate, FT has very little tolerance for expressions, however flippant the intention, of a prejudicial or discriminatory nature. Please post accordingly, or risk facing suspension from the site.

BA forum mod team
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I got asked the same/ as part of a SCCM welcome on a recent trip in Euro Traveller. I replied 'a G&T would be great' - (as I was intending to BOB a G&T) - they said 'of course' and came back with a Club G&T (Schweppes is the give-away, as it were) and there was no mention of charge. They did it discreetly and it was most appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I got asked this in CW and subsequently asked for an espresso from F. I guess they checked, but the response was that it was being reserved for F passengers. Since, then I've always reverted to type and said "I'm fine thank you".
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Rule of thumb - ask for nothing more than you wouldn't mind paying for yourself, so no offence is made or taken.
I think that would be my take on things too as there was no specific mention of anything being free gratis.

If I really wanted something, I would always be prepared for open wallet surgery in ET. I honestly think that just taking up a particular offer (very kind but vague non the less) on the presumption that it would be free could be construed as borderline gluttony......and potentially embarrassing on both parts.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Can I help you
What a silly thing for her to ask!
Quite smart of her I thought.
With only 30 minutes to landing after the BoB service had been done the chances are the Goldie wouldn't ask for anything yet they go away feeling happy. On the other hand if they had asked the same question 30 minutes after departure....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.