Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intra-Japan BA avios awards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JAL international J redemptions are fantastic value.

Once I was the only passenger in J in a widebody for a cash cost of about Ł6.50. Great service.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems the two month restriction continues for JL domestic flights. Just looking at a few routes there seems to be plenty of availability between 1-2 months out so I wouldn't worry, just set a note in your calendar two months before you need to fly and book on ba,.com.

Why do you think Seoul-Tokyo is not bookable with avios? I have booked that route before going in the other direction with no problems - search for the GMP-HND in book with avios, GMP won't auto-complete but just leave it as GMP and it will work. I tried a few days and there was availability and it does seem bookable more than two months out. Same for Shanghai to Tokyo, search for PVG-TYO will bring up the PVG-HND and PVG-NRT flights. Also bookable more than two months out.
SEL-TYO is definitely bookable with BA points. SHA-SEL is a different beast because no OW airline flies that route. If you could get to price, you'd be looking two awards stiched together, which is usually a bad deal because, apart from costing double, wastes an entire day to what is otherwise a 2 hour flight. Furthermore, PVG-ICN can be very cheap, and SHA-GMP usually isn't crazy expensive (I am always willing to pay a premium to fly out of SHA T1 because I can get there in less than 20 minutes, and it is small/efficient). That having been when 9C is $70, and KE is $400, I suck it up and deal with PVG (I usually pay for Spring Plus)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:12 am

May i know if BA still has early access to JAL ​domestic flights?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:49 pm

Not in the sense that it used to be possible to book them a year in advance. It's now the normal 60 days. I don't know the -exact- timing when seats are released and it is possible it is slightly different to JAL's own awards, but not substantially.

On the other hand, whereas you need to book JAL domestic awards five days in advance if you're using JMB, you don't if you're using BA. You can even just go to the airport and book the next flight out while there on routes that have plenty of flights.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:58 am

I can see the availability but unable to book the tickets that are over 60 days.

Called BA and they said they are unable to book tickets 60 days out now for JL domestic.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anchor79
I can see the availability but unable to book the tickets that are over 60 days.

Called BA and they said they are unable to book tickets 60 days out now for JL domestic.
Yes, unfortunately you can't book more than 60 days out

Japan domestic awards not available to book?
Old May 20, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Get the right agent and you can. I have already booked a number of flights for September using the Gold line.

Old May 20, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Not sure how route specific this might be, as I was able to book a HND-CTS ticket for September back in April via the BA Exec Club Call Centre. Reservation has been ticketed.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I also have NGO - HND and a couple of flights from KIX. Initially they seemed reticent, but once I firmly insisted it was possible and I had done it before they booked them all for me. Strange they tried to book them all on one ticket, seemingly out of sheer laziness, but I pushed back on that as if I missed the first flight they'd cancel the rest.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
WOW if you tell me you can book with more than 60 days using a different agent this is a GAME CHANGER... that means I would book awards for extremely busy dates as JAL only allows award booking 60 days before the flight...
Old May 23, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Assume the impending Avios rates changes will impact JAL domestic redemptions?

(Struggling to find the general thread on the topic...)
Old May 23, 2019, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
Assume the impending Avios rates changes will impact JAL domestic redemptions?

(Struggling to find the general thread on the topic...)
The expectation is the short 4500 avios flights will go up to 6000 avios.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
So, 4500 awards got to 6000.

This really suck as the only reason I collected avios was to use them here. I guess no more avios for me. I will focus on JAL miles
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:24 am

Over the last year or two there seem to be varying reports of JL domestic reward flights sometimes not being available more than 60 days out - although there have been occasional reports of people getting lucky on the phone. However, from 1 September 2019 JAL will allow booking of domestic flights up to 330 days out so I wonder whether this will also apply to rewards as well?

JAL to accept domestic bookings 330 in advance from Sep 10 2019
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Avios
Hello,
I've been trying to price up a one-way avios redemption flight between Tokyo and Osaka using the BA redemption finder. I keep getting an error message saying that it can't handle connecting flights. Am I doing something wrong? I also tried picking a few specific dates in the 'search and book' function but nothing there either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.