Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas business with BA avios?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by chandrau
Is it at all possible to book Qantas business class seats using BA avios?
Is it just me or everyone else get "Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected" when trying to book business class award? Works just fine for economy. Route is BNE-PER.

Any workarounds? Where would Ozzies call to book this when there's no local office?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Is it just me or everyone else get "Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected" when trying to book business class award? Works just fine for economy. Route is BNE-PER.

Any workarounds? Where would Ozzies call to book this when there's no local office?
Call the UK on Skype or from mobiles (some give you inclusive international calls)?

I could have a look on my QF account to see if there is really availability or if it's a phantom but I'll need the specific flight & date to do that.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Call the UK on Skype or from mobiles (some give you inclusive international calls)?

I could have a look on my QF account to see if there is really availability or if it's a phantom but I'll need the specific flight & date to do that.
It shows as saver space on AA and shows on QF. Absolutely no issues pricing and booking Y, it's the business that gives an error. Damn BA!

Thanks for the tip, I have 300 mins intl in my OVO plan
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:20 am

I booked a Qantas link fare last year by calling BAEC. All went fine and no phone fee. Was amusing trying to spell Maroochydore to the uk operator though.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
I booked a Qantas link fare last year by calling BAEC. All went fine and no phone fee. Was amusing trying to spell Maroochydore to the uk operator though.
Ha, I want to book ex MCY as well
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Enjoy not only the seat, but the domestic lounges can be quite good. Can you imagine saying this about ANY BA business lounge ?:

“”When I visited the Business lounge's Mexican Cantina eatery it was serving up delicious spiced pork tostadas and chipotle rice, with the menu rotating fortnightly. Cocktails are served from 5pm and changed up each week.””

(source: Sydney Morning Herald , Dreamliner article, by David Flynn, 24.97.18.....worth a look , as it notes some 787 flight numbers being used for training purposes on Domestic routes in Oz)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Enjoy not only the seat, but the domestic lounges can be quite good. Can you imagine saying this about ANY BA business lounge ?:

“”When I visited the Business lounge's Mexican Cantina eatery it was serving up delicious spiced pork tostadas and chipotle rice, with the menu rotating fortnightly. Cocktails are served from 5pm and changed up each week.””

(source: Sydney Morning Herald , Dreamliner article, by David Flynn, 24.97.18.....worth a look , as it notes some 787 flight numbers being used for training purposes on Domestic routes in Oz)
What does that have anything to do with this thread?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, I am getting this error message as well.

Looking to book J flights between SYD and MEL. Out of interest, what is the number of Avios required please?

It is four years since i travelled around Australia.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Yes, I am getting this error message as well.

Looking to book J flights between SYD and MEL. Out of interest, what is the number of Avios required please?

It is four years since i travelled around Australia.
Should be 2x economy.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Should be 2x economy.
Thanks. I tried to see what Avios is required for QF flights but failed.

Do you know what is the Y Avios price?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I got the same error as well couple of days ago trying to book SYD-AKL in QF J. Ended up calling the GGL line to book.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:13 pm

Thanks. I tried to see what Avios is required for QF flights but failed.

Do you know what is the Y Avios price?
Select the Y flight and it will price on the bottom. Doesn't work for business, but works for economy.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:35 am

Select the Y flight and it will price on the bottom. Doesn't work for business, but works for economy.
Thanks.

SYD to MEL in Y is 4,500 Avios and £10.50 cash so J will be double.

Looks like you can book Y redemptions online but there are system problems with J Avios bookings. 😕
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Enjoy not only the seat, but the domestic lounges can be quite good. Can you imagine saying this about ANY BA business lounge ?
Can you imagine the lead in J fare for LHR-EDI being £400 each way + tax? [Price for MEL-ADL, similar distance.]

Air pricing in Australia is astronomically expensive in J. That's also why Avois seats are such a good deal.

Another tip is try to get the domestic sectors covered by an international fare. I once booked TYO-SYD-PER-SYD-TYO for the same price as TYO-SYD-TYO (with stopovers at PER and SYD). The SYD-PER-SYD legs booked into full fare J, but in total for I paid less than the lowest round trip business price on SYD-PER alone! Still a bit annoyed that BA no longer offers bonus Avios on QF full fare J ...

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 27, 2018 at 4:23 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:49 pm

Thanks.

SYD to MEL in Y is 4,500 Avios and £10.50 cash so J will be double.

Looks like you can book Y redemptions online but there are system problems with J Avios bookings. 😕
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.