Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Mediocre CE Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
It can be so hit and miss, which in an odd way brings an excited sense of anticipation of not knowing whether service will be awful or stellar.
Recently, I flew to MAD in CE on a 789 and despite the cabin being 1/2 full and with seemingly a full set of crew, several of us in the front section of 'CW' were completely forgotten in meal delivery (I waited 20 min before asking once I realised those that had been served were having trays cleared). It was suggested that I might have been in the toilet at the time of service but I explained that wasn't the case. There were a couple of other interactions which left me puzzled, including the crew member saying they would have to check if they had any champagne when I asked for a glass (clearly, they didn't even know that champagne is offered in CE) and also when I asked for another glass soon after the '40 min to landing announcement' by the flight deck, the same crew member said 'I think the bars may be closed, but I'll check' (I did get a top up). I was tempted to have a moan to CS upon returning home, but the return service by the CSM (done single handedly) on a 4 row CE on the A319 was spectacularly good, so I ended up letting go of the poor outbound flight and awarded the CSM on the inbound flight a golden ticket.
I don't think you should let the outbound go because of a good inbound flight. Glad that you rewarded the good service, but poor delivery should be highlighted too.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by settlenick
Flew LHR to MAN Saturday evening on what can only be described as a shambles of a flight.
The young crew were clueless and no one from row 6 back got a drink in CE.
The young girl who was leading the team stopped serving drinks at row 4 to go and offer bread rolls. It was so dissapointing as when on the flight down we had a great crew.
At least on Ryanair they work hard selling you F&B onboard, this crew were in a daze just slowly serving drinks 2 at a time from the galley.
I have sent in a complaint but I expect I will just get fobbed off.
Sounds like you had a full complement of YTS crew (albeit minus the actual trainer)

Do let us know what you receive by way of response.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Sealink
Was it the same person? That's awful. Particularly galling as its Belfast and I want people to have good experiences flying to/from my home city!

Touch wood I won't experience something like that. I've flown MAN-LHR and LGW-JER and never had to wait for a drink.
The same person as? Not sure about your BHD reference either?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by florens
The same person as? Not sure about your BHD reference either?
Your OP mentions BHD LHR flight
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
The only reason why I sometimes pay to upgrade to CE at checkin is when I need some TP to close the gap and renew Gold.

A part from that, CE is a very poor product. The food is frankly horrible (a part from the cheese platter, which is decent) and as the OP stated, service can be inconsistent.

Only real plus would be free flow Champ, if only it wasn't Castelnau...
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frandrake

I don’t mind Castelanau as such, as long as it’s served cold. On my last trip it was flat and warm.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

Your OP mentions BHD LHR flight
Oh I see. No, it was another experience and another crew, I just figured I‘d not bother to open a new thread when this one exists.
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:37 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by frandrake

A part from that, CE is a very poor product. The food is frankly horrible (a part from the cheese platter, which is decent) and as the OP stated, service can be inconsistent.

If you are talking about the Long Service - then I disagree with you except about the cheese. I have been served really quite tasty food and the portions almost floor me. On the last flight we had a choice between a Boeuf Bourginon and Hot Smoked Salmon with pasta. I've had both as has my husband and we both thought that the catering had actually improved and they finally were not serving curry at every hand's turn. It is a very subjective topic, but as for the Castelnau - there is nothing wrong with it, except I have had some that tasted corked and I suspect that it is kept under far from ideal conditions. I was surprised at the price on Amazon.
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Flew LHR to MAN Saturday evening on what can only be described as a shambles of a flight.
The young girl who was leading the team stopped serving drinks at row 4 to go and offer bread rolls. It was so dissapointing as when on the flight down we had a great crew.
At least on Ryanair they work hard selling you F&B onboard, this crew were in a daze just slowly serving drinks 2 at a time from the galley.
This is a very regular route for me, and for many years I’ve been impressed with the speed at which the service is completed - even in the days when it was free drinks and food for all. Not once over all these years have I witnessed the crew not complete service before the “10 minutes to landing” from the flight deck.

It it sounds like you had a crew (and in particular a CSM) that was not familiar with the shortness of a MAN sector. Typically the crew are on their feet within a minute of takeoff, with service starting immediately it is set up. On busy flights they have 3 crew in CE, the CSM handing out the food tray and the others following behind with drinks.

Hopefully you’ll get some Avios for this service failure, and hopefully the crew will get some additional feedback on how to service the challenging MAN sector.
hugolover and Telecasterman like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:29 pm

Poor show here Good on you for complaining - BA need to know about this. Do come back and let us know what response you got...
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
I will come back with the response I get from BA.
We had come off our best ever First flight from DXB to LHR.
I love flying BA and this was my first ever really really poor crew.
They were just not up to the task. Not enough experience.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If you are talking about the Long Service - then I disagree with you except about the cheese. I have been served really quite tasty food and the portions almost floor me. On the last flight we had a choice between a Boeuf Bourginon and Hot Smoked Salmon with pasta. I've had both as has my husband and we both thought that the catering had actually improved and they finally were not serving curry at every hand's turn. It is a very subjective topic, but as for the Castelnau - there is nothing wrong with it, except I have had some that tasted corked and I suspect that it is kept under far from ideal conditions. I was surprised at the price on Amazon.
Cellars in the Sky 2017 - Business Traveller.

BEST BUSINESS CLASS SPARKLING
  • Gold Medal: EVA Air .– Champagne Delamotte Blanc de Blancs NV, France
  • Silver Medal (joint): Air France, Singapore Airlines – Champagne Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve NV, France
  • Bronze Medal: British Airways – Champagne de Castelnau Brut Réserve NV, France
  • Highly Commended: Sri Lankan Airlines – Champagne Piper Heidsieck Cuvée Brut NV, France
Not sure if these awards are like the "good taste" ones that brands love to display on their products

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 19, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Here's the thing. I have met the lady who runs those awards.

It is done strictly like any other wine competition. The judges are all Masters of Wine. All of the bottles are opened and decanted so the judge cannot even tell from the bottle shape what it is.

The only caveat is that the tasting is on the ground and not 36,000 feet where taste buds change. Airlines also have to self nominate and provide a free case for sampling, which not all do.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Cellars in the Sky 2017 - Business Traveller.

BEST BUSINESS CLASS SPARKLING
  • Bronze Medal: British Airways – Champagne de Castelnau Brut Réserve NV, France

Originally Posted by Raffles
It is done strictly like any other wine competition. The judges are all Masters of Wine. All of the bottles are opened and decanted so the judge cannot even tell from the bottle shape what it is.
The "CastleNO" brigade are going to hate this Which I think is hilarious given the level of snobbery on here around BA's champagne choice.
Sealink and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
The "CastleNO" brigade are going to hate this Which I think is hilarious given the level of snobbery on here around BA's champagne choice.
I think most agree that compared to Monopole CastelNOOO is a big improvement.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.